CCW 9mm - which is the best?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CCW 9mm - which is the best?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default CCW 9mm - which is the best?

I currently have a Glock 26 and am very happy with it. It does at times feel a bit bulky in my pocket and heavy. I am looking for possibly getting a summer carry weapon that is smaller and lighter but stays 9mm. Make no mistake about it, I am a Glock man but I am looking for something a little smaller... I would welcome advice and input to help me decide on my next purchase.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #2

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

S&W M&P Shield in either 9mm or 40 S&W. Striker fired like you Glock 26 and only 2/3 of the width of it.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Beretta makes the Nano. Striker fired, trigger similar to the Glock but IMO a bit smoother and its very concealable. Less than 18 oz. unloaded and .9" wide.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 06-16-2013, 02:34 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

I'm actually looking to get my first CCW and have heard good things about the SCCY CPX-2 2nd generation. Made in US and comes from a small family run machine shop. Under $300 for budget minded folks like me!!

Old 06-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

I'll second the M&P Shield. I own one and it's great to shoot and very reliable. I also was considering the Kahr cw9 which has a great reputation. It actually felt a little better in my hand and the trigger is nice and smooth. I went with the shield because it also feels very comfortable in hand and I own a Glock 22 and the trigger has a similar feel. I have no regrets with my choice.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #6

Liked 4819 Times on 2334 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

I EDC the Kahr PM 9 but if your a GLOCK guy you may not like the Kahr trigger.

The new XDS 9 is considerably more compact than your GLOCK and has a similar, "I'd say better" trigger. Handled one yesterday in 9 mm. They come with 2 (7) round mags and my LGS had it priced at $539.00

Tack

Old 06-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #7

Liked 1859 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

I have a Kahr CM9. I carry it most every day in a leather pocket holster. It will disappear in most any pair of pants. It is easy to forget that it is there. I have shot FMJ, JHP and even soft lead handloads. It has performed flawlessly. The trigger is smooth as glass. It is a long pull. But there is no other safety. So it needs to be long. It is really accurate for a gun of its size. I have nothing negative to say about it. And I own a bunch of carry type guns.

kahr-cm9.jpg  

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #8

Liked 248 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Die hard glock guys can't have a real pocket sized pistol. As you know the g26 ain't a pocket pistol and the shield , cw9 , xd-s9 and other like sized pistol are not ether. Well atleast if you don't want have a BIG lump in your pocket. Maybe a smaller Diamondback DB9, may work for you just be darn sure its from the latest lot of handguns made. Not old inventory. It does have a lite weight of under 13oz, a light trigger pull under 5lbs . It even breaks down like a glock but it is a DA trigger type . http://www.genitron.com/Handgun/Diamondback/Pistol/DB9/9-mm/Variant-1

I have carried a cm9 for 3 years and am very pleased with it but again the trigger is of a DA type. .

Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

+1 on the Diamondback or the SCCY. You're not gonna get much smaller in a 9mm than those two guns. I've never shot either, but I imagine the felt recoil would pretty severe in 9s of that size. Here's a good chart that someone else linked to a few weeks ago:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B22wLsy YEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3Z Dlm&hl=en_US

Always have clean socks.

JeffnReno Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 11:30 PM   #10

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockBurg
I currently have a Glock 26 and am very happy with it. It does at times feel a bit bulky in my pocket and heavy.
I love my Glocks, too, but there's no way any Glock is really suitable for pocket carry. Even the 26 IMO rides better in a belt holster.

There are a growing number of compact, polymer framed, single stack 9mm available today from most of the major manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Kahr, Sig, Beretta, Kel-Tec etc.). As I Glock fan, I'd suggest looking at the Kahr offerings first. I think most of the others have manual safeties and my personal feeling are, I want all my SD guns to operate the same way. All with or all without manual safeties. All SA or all DA or all striker.

YMMV of course.