Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (
-   -   CCW 9mm - which is the best? (

GlockBurg 06-16-2013 01:02 PM

CCW 9mm - which is the best?
I currently have a Glock 26 and am very happy with it. It does at times feel a bit bulky in my pocket and heavy. I am looking for possibly getting a summer carry weapon that is smaller and lighter but stays 9mm. Make no mistake about it, I am a Glock man but I am looking for something a little smaller... I would welcome advice and input to help me decide on my next purchase.

marc29th 06-16-2013 02:44 PM

S&W M&P Shield in either 9mm or 40 S&W. Striker fired like you Glock 26 and only 2/3 of the width of it.

drvsafe 06-16-2013 02:47 PM

Beretta makes the Nano. Striker fired, trigger similar to the Glock but IMO a bit smoother and its very concealable. Less than 18 oz. unloaded and .9" wide.

jarhead0881 06-16-2013 03:34 PM

I'm actually looking to get my first CCW and have heard good things about the SCCY CPX-2 2nd generation. Made in US and comes from a small family run machine shop. Under $300 for budget minded folks like me!!

IvanKaz 06-16-2013 03:36 PM

I'll second the M&P Shield. I own one and it's great to shoot and very reliable. I also was considering the Kahr cw9 which has a great reputation. It actually felt a little better in my hand and the trigger is nice and smooth. I went with the shield because it also feels very comfortable in hand and I own a Glock 22 and the trigger has a similar feel. I have no regrets with my choice.

Tackleberry1 06-16-2013 03:57 PM

I EDC the Kahr PM 9 but if your a GLOCK guy you may not like the Kahr trigger.

The new XDS 9 is considerably more compact than your GLOCK and has a similar, "I'd say better" trigger. Handled one yesterday in 9 mm. They come with 2 (7) round mags and my LGS had it priced at $539.00

Rick1967 06-16-2013 04:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Kahr CM9. I carry it most every day in a leather pocket holster. It will disappear in most any pair of pants. It is easy to forget that it is there. I have shot FMJ, JHP and even soft lead handloads. It has performed flawlessly. The trigger is smooth as glass. It is a long pull. But there is no other safety. So it needs to be long. It is really accurate for a gun of its size. I have nothing negative to say about it. And I own a bunch of carry type guns.

hardluk1 06-16-2013 07:44 PM

Die hard glock guys can't have a real pocket sized pistol. As you know the g26 ain't a pocket pistol and the shield , cw9 , xd-s9 and other like sized pistol are not ether. Well atleast if you don't want have a BIG lump in your pocket. Maybe a smaller Diamondback DB9, may work for you just be darn sure its from the latest lot of handguns made. Not old inventory. It does have a lite weight of under 13oz, a light trigger pull under 5lbs . It even breaks down like a glock but it is a DA trigger type .

I have carried a cm9 for 3 years and am very pleased with it but again the trigger is of a DA type. .

JW357 06-16-2013 09:21 PM

+1 on the Diamondback or the SCCY. You're not gonna get much smaller in a 9mm than those two guns. I've never shot either, but I imagine the felt recoil would pretty severe in 9s of that size. Here's a good chart that someone else linked to a few weeks ago: YEkTOMDU4MjJlNTktOTRlZi00NTJkLWE0MGMtZmEwNGFlMWE3Z Dlm&hl=en_US

mdauben 06-17-2013 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by GlockBurg
I currently have a Glock 26 and am very happy with it. It does at times feel a bit bulky in my pocket and heavy.

I love my Glocks, too, but there's no way any Glock is really suitable for pocket carry. Even the 26 IMO rides better in a belt holster.

There are a growing number of compact, polymer framed, single stack 9mm available today from most of the major manufacturers (S&W, Ruger, Kahr, Sig, Beretta, Kel-Tec etc.). As I Glock fan, I'd suggest looking at the Kahr offerings first. I think most of the others have manual safeties and my personal feeling are, I want all my SD guns to operate the same way. All with or all without manual safeties. All SA or all DA or all striker.

YMMV of course. ;)