CCW& And a 18 WHEELER - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

CCW& And a 18 WHEELER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

It never was an option for me as i drove for Swift Transportation out of Phoenix AZ and they had a strict no firearms in company trucks policy and breaking this policy could result in being terminated hundreds or thousands of miles from home. Plus because of the division i was in i could be sent to any of the lower 48 states, even the ones who hate guns. I even went to Cali several times and drove through IL alot on my way to or from Lerado TX and Nogales AZ. Also i was flatbed, sometimes pulled a box but not very often, usually pulled a 48' skateboard or a 53' stepdeck so securing my pistol someplace other than the cab wasnt doable. I had a storage compartment under my lower bunk in the sleeper berth but it was accessible from inside by lifting the bunk so it wouldnt have been legal either. I still drive part time for a local timber mill, pulling logs and chips so ill be carrying then.

Also shippers and receivers of loads often have a no firearms policy. I picked up coils and beams at steel mills alot and most have the said policy as well.

Plus in my opinion unloading your weapon and storing it somewhere you cant get to it kinda defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-02-2012, 01:39 AM   #22

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Correction, after a couple hours of searching the web i have discovered i was wrong in my previous post. There is no federal law prohibiting commercial drivers from possessing a firearm in a commercial vehicle providing the company they drive for doesnt have a policy prohibiting it.

Basically what the law says is that its legal as long as the local laws in the area the truck is in allows it. Of course most trucking companies have a strict policy against it and violating it can get you terminated.
U can not carry a gun in a cmv period yes its a law, I know I have been in the transportation field for 17 yrs

Old 01-02-2012, 11:14 AM   #23

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

U can not carry a gun in a cmv period yes its a law, I know I have been in the transportation field for 17 yrs
Do you have a link to a dot regulation that says it is, i havent been able to find one that clearly says its illegal.

The only thing i was able to find was in a nutshell saying that if its legal in the states and counties youll be driving through then its ok, i looked on the fmcsa's website, id quote the law or put in a link but im on my mobile phone.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 01-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #24

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Please post any link stating you cannot carry in a commercial vehicle - - - I know the Indiana State Police tried to find one as it caused a lot of grief when I brought it up.

The best they could come up with is that someone decades ago classified Commercial vehicles with Commercial Airlines and no one challenged it!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667
Please post any link stating you cannot carry in a commercial vehicle - - - I know the Indiana State Police tried to find one as it caused a lot of grief when I brought it up.

The best they could come up with is that someone decades ago classified Commercial vehicles with Commercial Airlines and no one challenged it!
Read the updated dot rules an reg book under firearms big bold an black an white , no driver in a cmv shall posess a firearm on his or her person and or in the cab/sleeper berth of a cmv such driver found in posession of said firearms is subject to federal firearms charges

Old 01-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #26

I just went to Rules & Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and searched for firearms in any way I could think of and I kept getting "No records found"

Again if you can find other than a wives tale please post it - - - -search it for me and help me out.

By the way I went thru this about 3 years ago with the NRA and their people could not find a law restricting firearms either.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667
I just went to Rules & Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and searched for firearms in any way I could think of and I kept getting "No records found"

Again if you can find other than a wives tale please post it - - - -search it for me and help me out.

By the way I went thru this about 3 years ago with the NRA and their people could not find a law restricting firearms either.
Ill dig out the books when I can but I went through it when they nailed my brother on it for havin a gun in my truck it got real ugly

Old 01-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Ill dig out the books when I can but I went through it when they nailed my brother on it for havin a gun in my truck it got real ugly
Ok title 18, crimes an criminal procedure, part 1 crimes, sec926 intrerstate transportation with firearms read it u will then understand why u cant have a loaded ready to defend firearm in a cmv

Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM   #29

As was the case in Indiana when I got stopped many of the LEO officers believe that it is against federal law but when it comes to getting the law the Indiana State Police ( DOT falls under them here ) could not find any.

It proved to be a real embarrassment to the State Police.

I'm sure if I had been in possession of a firearm that day I would have gone to jail and might have been there a while as it took the State Police over 2 weeks to finally admit they had been working under a false assumption.

There are so many people out there telling these tales that they take on a life of their own. I just posted the link to the federal rules, now you may have a copy of a state reg that says different but if so you need to find out the backing it has.

I just found out that in Indiana any stop sign must have a DOT seal and number to be legal. A small town near me put up a bunch of stop signs and people were getting tickets and it was discovered when a person fought them that none had been approved by the DOT and now they are having to go back and correct driving records - - - I do not advocate running stop signs with out DOT seals ( about 90% in Indiana ) as the person coming the other way might hit you not knowing the law but holding government to task is your right and if you feel it is easier to just let them have their way that is up to you.

When this small town tried to then get their signs approved it turns out they do not meet the requirements - - - they are going to leave them in place but if you run them the officer can only give you a warning, unless you cut off a vehicle coming the other way and then you can be ticketed for “Failure to yield to oncoming traffic”

A case of a town board showing their power!

Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
Ok title 18, crimes an criminal procedure, part 1 crimes, sec926 intrerstate transportation with firearms read it u will then understand why u cant have a loaded ready to defend firearm in a cmv
I just went back to the DOT regs Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

and used the search feature for title 18, crimes, firearms, handguns, concealed carry, sec 926, concealed carry permits

Every search came back either "no record found " or totally unrelated results.

If your brother has the funds and a good lawyer he might come out of this in good shape. Now his employer might still fire him but he might get some money for false imprisonment!