Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CCP and clothing changes?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/ccp-clothing-changes-40486/)

Glock4Epton 03-29-2011 09:37 PM

CCP and clothing changes??

Just interested in getting some opinions from some fellow permit holders. I am waiting on the arrival of my permit, should be in the next few weeks!! I have purchased a few IWB holsters and even a belly band to try out. I have noticed that with the IWB holsters, its almost like I need to go up a pant size to make them fit more comfortably and allow the firearm to be more concealed. My everyday outfit is slacks and "golf" style shirt tucked in, so I went with the Galco deep concealment holster that allows me to still tuck in the shirt and carry the firearm. Ive done a few try outs with it, and it just doesn't fit very comfortably. I am planning on using the S&W M&P 40C as my everyday carry weapon. I imagine its a pretty standard procedure to have to go up a pant size or two if I am going to be carrying an IWB holster. I am looking for a good paddle style holster to be able to carry on the weekend, then I guess a tee shirt or polo style shirt untucked will do the trick on covering it. Any suggestions, experiences or opinions?

Lindenwood 03-29-2011 11:35 PM

Its been my experience that the weapon should be pretty tight against your body for security and stability. Especially with dress pants that will limit how thick and sturdy of a belt you will be able to use, yu dont want it flopping around on you.

WDB 03-30-2011 01:18 AM

A good belt is as important as the holster. If your pants already fit tight at the waist then you may need to go up a size. It take awhile to get use to carrying but in time feels natural. I've tried a few paddle holsters and while they are easy to put on tend to move a bit and the paddle feel a like IWB, I prefer a holster I can slide onto my belt for casual carry.

ajbeau 03-30-2011 01:26 AM

i carry a keltek p11 9mm in a remorse "clipless" holster. I found it works best if i have a tee shirt tucked in and another shirt over it. The Tacky material irrated my skin a little.
Did not have to change pant sizes. Unique material keeps holster in place very well in most of my daily routine.

pioneer461 03-30-2011 08:16 PM

Concealed carry is a lifestyle, and as such may necessitate some wardrobe changes. That is a decision that is very personal to each of us. In my case, I'm willing to dress like a geek in order to carry. To some folks, fashion is more important. Yes, IWB will require larger britches.

As to holsters, after a while you, as with the rest of us, will no doubt have a box in your closet filled with holsters that seemed like a good idea at the time, but didn't work out as we hoped. I actually have two boxes.

Carrying a gun is supposed to be comforting, not necessarily comfortable.

7point62 03-30-2011 08:39 PM

You have to experiment sometimes with different holsters, belts and clothing. It may take awhile to get the best combination. The most comfortable rigs I've worn are shoulder rigs, but they don't cut it when the weather gets hot.

Phelenwolf 07-05-2011 12:19 AM

How you carry is going to make a big difference on what you wear. If you wear IWB like I do, going up a size in pants helps, you will also need a good belt. NOT some cheap leather belt from Wal-Mart. If you plan on only carrying IWB then you will need some new pants. If you only IWB a couple of time maybe 1-2 pairs would work.

You might also want to get a bigger size of shirt. I know that this is going to sound weird but have your gf/wife take some pictures of you from the side you are carrying on when you do things and you will see what I mean about getting a larger shirt. The worst thing you can do is print when you really do not want to.

Quick question? Do you hug alot of people, friends, family, kids? I know I do, learn to hug people on you week side away from your weapon AND always try and get them to hug you around the neck. You should see the look of surprise on there face when they feel your weapon. Or someone behind you sees your carrying. It can be awkard.

One more then I will try and stop.

Do you have kids? If you do, do they know that you carry? This is going to sound weird but please bear in mind. Have you named your carry weapon??
I know, I know. WHY would you name your weapon! About 4-5 yrs ago I was at a big dinner with my family and friends when my daughter came up and all of a sudden ask me if I had my gun. You should have seen everyone's head snap around and the dead silence afterward, you know how loud kids can be when they want to be heard. I told her no, but I really did. Talk about an eye opener.
Well the moral of the story is I had her name my different carry weapons, so when we were in public and she asked, even thought I asked her not to, "Dad where is Fred" only my wife and kids would know what was being talked about.

Just some food for thought.

Rick1967 07-05-2011 02:26 AM

My mom is a big hugger. She has felt my gun a couple of times. The first time she was scared like she thought she would accidentaly shoot me.

I wear a lot of dress clothes. My shirts are almost always tucked in. I have found that a S&W J frame in a pocket hoster works great. It is very discreet. I often forget it is there...until someone gives me a reason to remember. Heck I forgot I have it in my pocket now.

Phelenwolf 07-05-2011 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I grab when I am just running out the door if I am in a hurry.

Garadex 07-05-2011 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelenwolf (Post 534848)
This is what I grab when I am just running out the door if I am in a hurry.

I don't know if I am the only one wondering, but what is that bar thing at the bottom?