CC weapon cleaning - don't put it off! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CC weapon cleaning - don't put it off!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I thoroughly strip and clean all of my firearms every time I shoot them, no matter how many rounds go through them. I want to know that they will always function well. I keep my handguns in zippered soft cases when they are not being used. I am careful about wiping off finger prints and other smears. In addition to maintaining them well for functionality I like them looking nice.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:10 AM   #12
1911 .45ACP. . then there are others.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1916 Times on 1063 Posts
Likes Given: 5784

Update: Kimber 1911 shoots every shot even tho' dirty.
I've ECD'd my Kimber 1911 for about 2 months without firing (I know, but it's been wet, and cold and I've been busy).

After reloading with a friend, we stepped out back for some pressure testing

That dirty, filthy, lint filled, grass packed thing fired, just like I expected it to.

Good news is that it blew some wood chips and alfalfa, clean out of it. Good to go for another couple of months.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #13

Liked 160 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default CC weapon cleaning - don't put it off!

I wipe my carry guns down once a week, field strip and clean once a month! Just a habit I've gotten into! 2 reasons, one is to obviously keep them clean and oiled, but it's also important for me to make sure there is no abnormal wear or rust forming. Sort of like my vehicles, once a month, I lift the hood just to see if all is well. Knock on wood, vehicles and guns has served me well over the years with very little concerns.

Like guns, love people!!

Last edited by mahall; 04-22-2014 at 06:05 AM.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Took a three day defensive pistol class recently. Could not believe out of I think 12 or 13 people in the class, there were at least two that had never disassembled much less lubed their gun. And they expect them to work if the SHTF? I wonder if stores and gunsmiths started offering a maintenance plan when they do a sale or transfer, like car dealerships, if there would be a a market? There certainly would be a profit with the neglect just from that class extrapolated.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 04-22-2014, 02:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Excessive Cleaning

I clean my guns once a year whether they need it or not. Glocks get the feed ramp wiped off every few months and about 3 drops of oil at the beginning of each shooting season. My cc's get lubed and the chamber wiped out when I start carrying them and then after I shoot them, which doesn't happen very often. They work - I'm happy.

“The ultimate aim of martial arts is not having to use them”
― Miyamoto Musashi
"The only gunfight won is the one avoided."
― The Rukh
"Ignorance is treatable - stupidity is terminal."
― The Rukh

Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM   #16

Liked 2607 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Dryer sheets. Wipe down the gun. Clean, and wipe out the pocket with

the dryer sheet.

Cuts down on static cling.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #17
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default CC weapon cleaning - don't put it off!

I also rotate two carry guns, An LC9 that is just about 2 yrs. Old, and an older S&W 439 custom by ASP systems that I have had since 1980 that was a "First deployment" present from My Dad. I never carry in a pocket without a pocket holster. I sometimes use nylon or leather Knife pouches as single mag carriers if I'm not using a belt rig, even wearing a concealment vest or jacket. Until a few months ago I almost never carried in my house, but since we have had an attempted "Push in" style robbery here, plus a few other incidents in our development, I now Carry from the moment I wake until I get ready for bed. I'm waiting for a Charter Pitbull to come in, and that will be EDC#3. I also don't "Hide guns" around the house, but do have an Alternative second secure safe, and I am planning on a "Hide out" set up near my front door...

Edit:5/1: and I clean and relube every 14 Days no mater what, and after every Range session.

Edit: 5/18: in the Warmer months(Mid May-Mid October here) I clean a little more then usual. Currently since we are prepping for Rimfire Steel Shoots( the both of us) were working with the 22's more, so they get extra cleaned and lubed,..but we don't neglect our EDC's either. If you need to use a brush or other implement,. Tread carefully. I saw a friend damage the inside of his barrel like he was cleaning it with an engraver. Don't be cheap with cleaning patches....

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 05-18-2014 at 08:13 AM.