Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CC vs OC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default CC vs OC

So i was just wondering, and forgive me if i reopen a old thread, but for those who live in open carry states, do you open carry more then CC, if so, what is your reson's and point of view on the matter, i am considering OC as i live up here in WA and it is hard for me to CC with my glock in summer wear, its just in general a lot more easy in my point of view.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

I open carry when hunting. For social purposes (ie- self defense) why would I forewarn a bad guy that I have a firearm?

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

This topic can go South faster than a Glock vs 1911 thread. A lot of staunch 2A supporters see OC as a vehicle to "force" the public to accept armed citizens. I think some also "hope" for the confrontation with local LEOs to press the point. Neither of these motives do us any favors IMHO.

This being said, I live in an OC friendly area and I do choose that method occasionally - but not that often. I never forget that the vast majority of the population is afraid of guns and armed folks. Here in GA about 6% of the adult population has a license to carry so we are a distinct minority. It is really convenient though and I have quick to snap on paddle holsters for every gun I do carry. I normally take the time to dress around my gun as I believe CC is just the better way to stay prepared...

Old 05-15-2010, 09:10 AM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I open carry when hunting. For social purposes (ie- self defense) why would I forewarn a bad guy that I have a firearm?

Well i would hope you open carry when hunting, as that is what hunting revolves around.., i have noticed a general fear when it come's to most gun enthusiast of open carry, i mean hey lets fight for the right to own guns, but dont let no one know you own them and dont show them in public to no one and dont fight for your right to open carry, thats the general persona anyway, i feel that open carry has become a taboo if you will.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8449 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Yeah, I know what you mean. Got really stange looks the last time I stopped in the 7-11 to get a Slurpee while wearing my sword.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 05-15-2010, 09:55 AM   #6

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I CC all the time except when I got my shirt off and need to take the garbage out then I just go out without a shirt and everyone can see I am carrying. This is a CC and OC state but people still run a risk of a run in with OC if they are anti-gun police around, and every state has some of them.

I also find that most people know I am carrying because the 1911 is just too big to effectively hide under my tee shirt but as long as they don't really see the gun in person they seem to be comfortable with it.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2666 Times on 1552 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Some places have "badges" that at first glance, look like LE, but are for CC (and state so on the badge). The trouble is "some" may mistake you for LE and want you to stop some dang car that is speeding through the neighborhood.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 05-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2010 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Back when I was living in AZ, the only time I open carried (other than wilderness) was when two punk kids were giving us all a hard time while moving their mother out of an apartment. You have never seen two "men" so absolutely abusive to their mother.

When one of them started threatening to lose his pit bull on us, I went to my truck and put my .40 on my hip then went back to work. It had the effect I desired and they shut up.

AZ is a very gun friendly state, and OC is common. Now Iowa is going CC & OC in January, but I'm hard pressed to come up with any situations were I would prefer OC over CC here.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Arkansas is CC only. If we could open carry I would only do so at certain events and promotions. I wouldn't go out open carrying on my own. I would rather carry concealed fro the element of surprise and so not to get anyone's panties in a bunch.

I would have no problem seeing others open carrying where legal though.

Old 05-15-2010, 03:04 PM   #10

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Portland, Oregon as well as other cities here have ordinances against open carry without CC permit. Most of Oregon is OC without issue.

For me, I CC for the "being prepared". The truck gun always and my carry piece on me almost all the time. (CAN NOT at work - big no no) Too many issues with law enforcement and calls made on legal CC holders to make it worthwhile.

I am allowed to aggressively approach your car for money at every streetlight, we have a wider range of allowed recyclables, thriving double-decker bicycle community, and our tie-dyes are out of this world man!

Fair trade off in my eyes! lol!

Newest Threads