Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CC Semi Auto (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/cc-semi-auto-59941/)

clr8ter 03-11-2012 01:03 AM

CC Semi Auto

So, I got my CCL last year. I have not felt a NEED to CC, but I want the option if needed, or if things change. Part of the problem is that I have 3 handguns; Hi-Point 380, Ruger Single Six, and a Beretta 96. I weigh 140, @ 5'9". Neither is going to work. So, any suggestions for a Semi Auto DA/SA, or SAO CC pistol? Sticking to 380 or 9mm?

Keep in mind I don't mind paying ($600 or so) for quality, preference to SS guns.

partdeux 03-11-2012 01:26 AM

XDM9c :)

vincent 03-11-2012 01:32 AM

Deep concealment...LCP...:cool:

clr8ter 03-11-2012 01:49 AM

What is considered deep concealment, Vincent? I was thinking an IWB holster. Unfortunately, in the summer I wear loose fitting stretch waistband shorts and a T-shirt. Not sure how to solve that one without a wardrobe change.....and NO fanny pack.

JohnJak 03-11-2012 03:07 AM

Kahr in a nice 9mm.

gollygee 03-11-2012 03:50 AM

If you're serious about needing to carry a pistol for protection, you may have to change your dress habits a little. An elastic band & no belt will not hold much, not even the ones you list in your poll. Maybe a knife with a clip. "CCL" indicates that it must be concealed? I suppose a shoulder rig may work under a T-shirt, but it'll be fun getting to it & will be a lot less comfortable than pants with a belt.

JTJ 03-11-2012 03:59 AM

Sig 238 and a DeSantis super fly pocket holster. It wieghs 16oz loaded with 6+1 of 380. Or hold out for the Sig 938 which should start becoming available soon. Same height but 1/2" longer and 16 oz empty. Carries 6+1 of 9mm. It should but I dont know for sure if it will pocket carry as well so you may have to look at some other holster options. I have pocket carried small 9's before with no problems. I wear cargo shorts in summer and on days like today (75). These are mini 1911 pistols that you carry cocked and locked. Short trigger pull. These are not cheap but you should be able to find one new for $600 otd. Spare mags are $27. I have not seen pricing on the 938 yet but it should not be a lot more. The 238 is the best of the smaller 380 pistols. I have tried the LCP and P3AT and they are not fun to shoot. I would be comfortable shooting a couple hundred rounds through the 238 on a range session and they are accurate.

clr8ter 03-11-2012 02:29 PM

I know gollygee, those shorts have a hard time holding up my wallet & phone. And yes, i'm talking concealed here.

Johnjak, I was also thinking about Kahr, care to expound on your suggestion?

JTJ, as much as I don't know anything about and am not interested in Sig, I might have to look into them. I hear that if nothing else they make quality stuff.....

gollygee 03-11-2012 06:34 PM

Quote: "I know gollygee, those shorts have a hard time holding up my wallet & phone. And yes, i'm talking concealed here."

Well, I refuse to wear shorts, despite the heat, even at home.:o But if that was a viable mode of dress for me, I'd go with cut-off khakis, or similar shorts with loops for a belt. With a proper belt, it doesn't have to be overly tight.

Balota 03-11-2012 07:23 PM

XD9sc. 3.1 inch barrel. Plenty of rounds. Or, if you have a grip that can crush walnuts to dust, try some of the pocket pistols. Whatever you do, try it before you commit. The smaller the gun is, the harder the felt recoil is.