CC in a satchel bag
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CC in a satchel bag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default CC in a satchel bag

I am a graduate student working at a university. I have a CC permit and am in the process of purchasing a carry weapon. Despite a large frame my XD 9mm wont conceal well. Looking at a Ruger LCP or guns of the same frame. Given my current situation, meeting with students throughout the day, I am unable to wear the weapon on body. I have contemplated a pocket holster, but my khakis are a bit tight and it will print for sure. Maybe a back pocket holster, but I might still be nervous sitting on it all day in my office. I absolutely CANNOT print. I want to try a dedicated holster inside the flap of my bag. Not the big one on front that would be awkward as hell getting to in a time of need, but the one that rests against my left side, so I can slip my right hand in perfectly grabbing the gun. It would be very similar to a shoulder holster, only maybe six inches lower. The gun would be situated like cross-drawing from the hip like cops in the old days before they carried on their strong side. Is this setup a major issue? I am not concerned with speed as I feel confident after practicing with my XD (just too large).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 AM   #2

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I see nothing wrong with it under a few conditions,
1. You can access your weapon in a hurry if needed.
2. You maintain control over your murse at all times,,, uh,, I mean satchel,, satchel.( hell Indiana Jones carried one right?)
Last thing you want is someone stumbling upon your weapon. Securing it safely when not carrying it.
Others here may come up with some more but those two should be at the top of the list.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #3

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

As long as its concealed on your person I can see no issue-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts

During warmer weather I carry an LCP in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster in the front jeans/shorts pocket with no printing whatsoever.

I'm also an XD man - full size XD-40 in a CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe when I transition back to cool-weather clothing. It doesn't print, either.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM   #5

Liked 290 Times on 251 Posts

This printing thing really needs to be put to rest. Nobody but you knows what it is, it's concealed. As far as anyone knows it's your car keys and wallet, or a good luck charm you carry around. Or a flip phone. You can't see a trigger, or a magazine, or a barrel, it's an outline of a bulge that's triangular.

Slap it in a Remora holster and is even less a visible shape or form.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 592

I carry my kel tec P11 in a uncle mikes pocket holster. I carry it in my front pocket. You can see there is something in my pocket but a bandanna makes the same bulge in my front pocket. If I wear anything but jeans you can't tell I have anything in my pocket. Try some pleated slacks. They have a lot more room in the pocket area.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-13-2013, 12:53 AM   #7

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I always advise against off body carry, even for women. It's too easy to be separated from your sidearm. It's a lot harder to have your gun grabbed if it's concealed on your body. I frequently carry an LCP wearing dress slacks/dress shirt and never have any revealment issues.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would look at the various Maxpedition shoulder bags. I have the Fatboy Versipack. It holds all my gear and has an easy access pouch for a firearm. It should fit most guns up to about a 4" barrel. They also make larger and smaller bags and packs.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts

I really like the Maxpedition® line of gear!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 01-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

As a college student i can see the advantages of either i must admit the idea of someone snatching my bookbag with my gun inside freaks me out i don't like taking those kinds of chances