Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CC and Gun Shows (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/cc-gun-shows-58201/)

northhike 02-19-2012 03:00 AM

CC and Gun Shows

I attended a gun show today and I was surprised that CC was not allowed. It did not make sense to me as you can buy live ammo and firearms right there. If a guy wanted to go nuts....it's all there for the taking. Theoretically we as CC people have attended classes, understand the laws, are proficient with our gun and most of all know how to be responsible in public setting with our firearms. The same cannot be said for some of the attendees. ;)

vincent 02-19-2012 03:02 AM

Two words...Concealed Is Concealed....well, that's three but I think you get it...:cool:

Jpyle 02-19-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northhike (Post 713525)
I attended a gun show today and I was surprised that CC was not allowed. It did not make sense to me as you can buy live ammo and firearms right there. If a guy wanted to go nuts....it's all there for the taking. Theoretically we as CC people have attended classes, understand the laws, are proficient with our gun and most of all know how to be responsible in public setting with our firearms. The same cannot be said for some of the attendees. ;)

Illogical as it seems it is fairly common...I would think it has something to do with insurance and legal liability. Any gun on display or purchased usually gets a zip tie through the chamber to prevent loading.

northhike 02-19-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincent (Post 713529)
Two words...Concealed Is Concealed....well, that's three but I think you get it...:cool:

Yep...get it. My point though is that this is a "gun" show yet CC is not allowed. Funny ...cause the NRA was there talking about our gun rights....except for the gun show. ;) I just found it funny and ironic. The NRA booth made it even more funny.

Rick1967 02-19-2012 01:49 PM

I thnk it is funny that I cc in Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse all the time. They don't care. They even have a sign saying that permit holders are welcome to do so. But not at any gun show I have ever been to. And I have been to a bunch.

trip286 02-19-2012 01:58 PM

This has been covered before, I'll see if I can link up the previous thread. It's a combination of insurance and liability issues.

trip286 02-19-2012 02:00 PM

Plus, do you really trust everyone that has a gun? I don't. And a gun show is a place where people will be constantly unholstering and showing off weapons.

trip286 02-19-2012 02:05 PM

Here you go, six pages of reading....
Some interesting stuff, and some people actually went and got the word from the horses mouth (asked the show organizers)

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f104/concealed-carry-gun-shows-53443/

Paladin201 02-19-2012 02:09 PM

There was an incident at a local show here a few years ago. It was a case where one guy was looking at a particular gun and asking for opinions. Another guy said "Yeah, I carry one of those" and drew his to show to the guy. I didn't hear whether it was the gun owner or the guy he was showing it to, but someone ended up capping off a round. Fortunately, the only damage was a new ventilation hole in one of the walls. So I can see why show owners don't want a whole building full of packing people. Although the show I go to most often here still allows it.

gollygee 02-19-2012 03:27 PM

The shows in my area have police stationed at the entrance, asking everyone if they have a firearm and/or ammo. If you have a firearm, either concealed or one you brought for trade, they verify it is empty & put a tie through the action. It is a safety precaution & police are present for security. I suppose a person could lie, if so disposed, because they do not have metal detectors, but I wouldn't care to do that.

I do have a concern for leaving mine in my vehicle, even in a lock box, because thieves are very adept at getting into vehicles & a gun show parking lot would seem to be a good 'shopping' area. I unload it & declare it at the door.