You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

CC Glock?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I apologize I may not have been clear enough in my initial post. After more thinking about it I don't believe it would be an issue. As far as putting the pistol there and leaving it there that's the goal to never have to draw. My issue was holstering initially, if you can't physicially see the firearm as it's entering the holster how do you verify that "something" wouldn't be in the way. I understand all of the safety rules of handling a firearm, just chalking this up to being nervous about the first time carrying in public.

Regardless thank you all for the replys.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2926 Times on 1721 Posts

No need to apologize. You may want to reconsider how you carry though. And as far as being nervous at first, that may be kind of a good thing. Just make sure you don't keep doing a gun check and give away the fact you are carrying. Big noob mistake.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #13

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unashamedlaborer View Post
Sorry no can do.
I admire your patriotism and as soon as an American company can compete head to head with a glock or xd I will own one and carry it daily.
Hey try the M&P series by Smith&Wesson. I hear they are in the same class as Glocks and XD(M)'s. Its on my wishlist

Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23

Hey try the M&P series by Smith&Wesson. I hear they are in the same class as Glocks and XD(M)'s. Its on my wishlist
Well on the californian market the m&p has a magazine disconnect, as well as the compact model weighing as much as my full size glock. To me it is in the same class. Heck I own one. But I choose to carry the glock 27. Smaller, lighter, no mag disconnect, readily available parts and accesories, and the same firepower.
The m&p is a fine weapon though. It's prone to more failures with reloads in my Experience as I have all three. Other than that for a range gun I'd rather shoot it that any of the others. Great gun just not the best for carry.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #15

Likes Given: 3

When I went to cop school ages ago, we were taught to reholster without looking at the holster i.e. always watching for additional threats. Practice with an empty firearm until it's second nature. As far as an empty chamber, you're shortchanging yourself precious microseconds, IMHO. One of our detectives was trained in the USMC [SEMPER FI to all you Marines out there! ! !] to carry with an empty chamber. Admin finally gave him the nod after he proved he could bring the weapon to bear having cycled the slide on the way up. We were issued 9mm Glocks and, fortunately at the range, mine ejected, stripped a fresh cartridge and not a darn thing thing happened when I pulled the trigger. I racked the slide and a cartridge was ejected and a fresh cartridge went bang when I pulled the trigger. We retrieved the "dud" cartridge expecting to find a tiny dimple on the primer. Nothing. The department armorer couldn't determine whet was wrong and Glock flat denied it could happen. This was a well-shot in pistol and even though I wasn't all that thrilled with the Glock, I regularly scored 245-248 out of a possible 250. I just felt leery of it after that. We also had two Glocks [same production run] that discharged when dropped; something else the factory said couldn't happen. Glocks have come a long way since that time so long ago and I'm sure Glock has improved quality control. Hey, you manufacture a million items and there will be a few bad ones but I still shy away from the Glocks. Retired now, my choice of everyday carry is a stainless Combat Commander in an IWB; a CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK or UBG STRYKER. The CROSSBREED is a butt-ugly abomination of plastic and leather but superb for all day carry comfort. The STRYKER is a beautiful 100% all leather holster that will last me forever and is as comfortable as the ugly one. I requested Nate (a Marine) @ UBG add a band of leather to hold the mouth of the holster open to assure one-handed reholstering. My Combat Commander hides very well in either one even under the standard IWB 1-size larger T-shirt. If you want to carry that Glock, do so. Practice, practice practice and continue to do so after you settle on a holster. Best of luck.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

To the OP: I'm the same as you. Big guy, 6'2, about 275 and I carry my glock 19 daily in a concealment solutions black mamba holster (same concept as xbreed super tuck) and have no problem. I only holster and unholster once a day (luckily I haven't had to use it) when I head out for the day and when I'm going to bed. I would definitly say youre reading to much into it. Just like everyone else said, practice with a safe and cleared weapon, but once you get used to it you'll realize it's not as complicated as it seems. Hell, you might be comfortable with it by the time you read this!

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It is getting easier (practicing with a cocked unloaded gun) I guess my point was to be as safe as possible, I know there will not be anything in or around the trigger guard upon holstering in the morning, but unless I can visibly check I feel like I have missed a step and am opening myself up to a ND. But either way if I find out I don't like it just means I have to get a holster for a 1911 and carry that instead.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 PM   #18

Liked 165 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCHOFREAK3 View Post
Kind of an akward question, my Utah permit came in recently and I plan on a short trip to WI to test it out. My issue is I was planning on carrying my Glock 19 as I am more than proficient with it and it's a little smaller than a 5"1911. My problem is I will not be carrying with one in the chamber until I get used to the idea of being in public with a firearm, but when I get to that point holstering/re-holstering is my issue.

I am a big guy 6'3" about 240lbs so when I carry in a Galco king tuk at the 4 to 4:30 position I can't visually see when I reholster. my problem is if I can't see to holster and a round is chambered how do I make sure a foreign object is not in the trigger guard while I am holstering which would depress the trigger causing a ND? The only thing I have come up with is during the holstering process sticking my finger between the rear of the trigger and the trigger guard and that way if I felt any pressure on the trigger I would stop holstering.

Am I reading too much into this? I am a little nervous coming from IL I have only been able to carry around my house which I haven't done with a round in the chamber yet. So how do you guys do it that have a similar situation?
Hi, Psycho...I had the same feelings when I first started carrying my Glock. Like several others have said, CLEAR and CHECK the gun, practice holstering, draws AND dry fires until it is a natural action/reaction, not a planned movement. Planning will let you down, training will help keep you alive. Please keep your finger out of the trigger guard until your sights are on your target, what happens if you accidentally get your finger on the trigger while re-holstering.

This is what I did and still do.
Set up mirrors in front of you so you have multiple targets, not to watch how you holster your gun. Move the mirrors around the room to different locations, again with a CLEARED gun, keep practicing your draws each time dry firing, cocking and re-holstering your gun each and every time. When you re-holster your "EMPTY" gun listen for the click of the dry fire, you will be amazed I hope, I never did hear it while re-holstering.

I picked up a few cheap full length mirrors at Lowes to do this and even use them outside. Turn them vertical and horizontal for different effects, elevate them with chairs or place them behind the couch to lower them, turn them at funny angles, place them 2/3rds behind a door way, use your imagination.

Some call it an Accidental discharge, I feel it is always a Negligent Discharge unless it is proven to be a mechanical failure. Good luck

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 03-30-2012, 04:30 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Levelcross thank you, I will try this as I haven't thought of it yet. But that is a perfect idea to try and calm my fears about holstering the gun when I cannot visually inspect what is happening behind me.