Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CC Glock? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/cc-glock-61324/)

PSYCHOFREAK3 03-28-2012 09:51 PM

CC Glock?

Kind of an akward question, my Utah permit came in recently and I plan on a short trip to WI to test it out. My issue is I was planning on carrying my Glock 19 as I am more than proficient with it and it's a little smaller than a 5"1911. My problem is I will not be carrying with one in the chamber until I get used to the idea of being in public with a firearm, but when I get to that point holstering/re-holstering is my issue.

I am a big guy 6'3" about 240lbs so when I carry in a Galco king tuk at the 4 to 4:30 position I can't visually see when I reholster. my problem is if I can't see to holster and a round is chambered how do I make sure a foreign object is not in the trigger guard while I am holstering which would depress the trigger causing a ND? The only thing I have come up with is during the holstering process sticking my finger between the rear of the trigger and the trigger guard and that way if I felt any pressure on the trigger I would stop holstering.

Am I reading too much into this? I am a little nervous coming from IL I have only been able to carry around my house which I haven't done with a round in the chamber yet. So how do you guys do it that have a similar situation?

TimKS 03-28-2012 10:03 PM

Not to put you down, but why are you taking the gun out and putting it back? Put it in the holster and leave it alone until needed is my suggestion. When re-holstering, the trigger guard should protect the trigger from being pulled / pushed if you're just mindful of what you are doing. Good luck in WI.

mudpupp 03-28-2012 10:15 PM

Way too much reading dude!!

I am not too familiar with your $40 holster, but you need one that stays open with no obstructions like a crossbreed supertuck.

Then you NEED to PRACTICE, practice, practice.
With an UNLOADED weapon until you are extremely comfortable.

An ND only occurs when people are negligent !!

Training, practice, and proper equipment are more important than anything else in the process.

Good luck

Unashamedlaborer 03-28-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpupp
Way too much reading dude!!

I am not too familiar with your $40 holster, but you need one that stays open with no obstructions like a crossbreed supertuck.

Then you NEED to PRACTICE, practice, practice.
With an UNLOADED weapon until you are extremely comfortable.

An ND only occurs when people are negligent !!

Training, practice, and proper equipment are more important than anything else in the process.

Good luck

I agree with everything you said. Except the Galco King Tuk is the same thing as a crossbreed supertuck except it's better made. I have both.
You want a crossbreed horsehide glock holster? I'd love to sell mine.

mudpupp 03-29-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unashamedlaborer

I agree with everything you said. Except the Galco King Tuk is the same thing as a crossbreed supertuck except it's better made. I have both.
You want a crossbreed horsehide glock holster? I'd love to sell mine.

Only if you include a glock. I don't own any foreign made guns..

Unashamedlaborer 03-29-2012 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudpupp

Only if you include a glock. I don't own any foreign made guns..

Sorry no can do.
I admire your patriotism and as soon as an American company can compete head to head with a glock or xd I will own one and carry it daily.

mudpupp 03-29-2012 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unashamedlaborer

Sorry no can do.
I admire your patriotism and as soon as an American company can compete head to head with a glock or xd I will own one and carry it daily.

That's why I carry an M&P all day every day

Vincine 03-29-2012 11:02 AM

Glock leg anyone?

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSYCHOFREAK3 (Post 754990)
. . . The only thing I have come up with is during the holstering process sticking my finger between the rear of the trigger and the trigger guard and that way if I felt any pressure on the trigger I would stop holstering.

I’m working on getting a holster for my G19 now. I wouldn’t make it a practice to put ANYTHING inside the trigger guard area EVER, except my finger and ONLY when I want to fire. There's way too much of an opportunity for a mistake and a ND in general, and especially with Glocks, when holstering. I'm covering the guard with my finger as it slides into the holster. So far just a Glock Sport holster and a VersaCarry. (And yes, the pistol is empty.)

You're setting yourself up for 'Glock leg'. Below from http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Glock%20leg

A condition where a person shoots himself (or herself) in the leg while holstering their Glock pistol. This can happen with any weapon yielded by a careless user, but it is common among Glock pistols due to the lack of a manual safety, relatively light trigger pull, and lack of a proper hammer to push on while holstering. "How is Jim doing? I heard that he came down with a case of Glock leg at the range yesterday."

wjnfirearms 03-29-2012 11:56 AM

+1 on keeping your finger off of the trigger. That's a bad habit to get into or to keep doing, but it's way more common than one would believe. You're just asking for an unintentional discharge if there's one in the pipe. The way that conventional training is being done is to position your index finger along the frame of the gun straight out just above the trigger. Your finger goes to the trigger when you get into the action position and have the weapon pointed downrange toward your target and am ready to fire. That's the way I teach as well. It's by far the safest way to unholster a weapon while not delaying your ability to deliver rounds downrange toward your intended target. You should also holster it in just the same way.

People who insist on fingering the trigger before you get into a shooting position tempt fate way too often. In a real scenario, your adrenalin is pumping, your nerves are on edge, and it's way too risky to have your finger press on the trigger before you intend to be in a position to shoot, if at all. Add having one in the pipe, a trigger safety or none at all, and possibly a weapon with lighter trigger pull, and you compound the issue immensely. Once a bullet is sent downrange, you cannot whistle it back. All you can hope for that if it wasn't sent in an intended direction or at all that it goes somewhere benign. Even if it is, it's risky in other areas than personal safety. That's more of a gamble than anyone should be willing to risk if possible, which should be more often than not.

As to the holster itself, there should be no obstructions hosltering the gun. If your body is creating the obstruction, maybe your choice of position on your belt needs to be re-evaluated. The 4:00 position is by far one of the most comfortable while sitting (not always depending on the gun and body structure) and delivers less print, but may not be ideal for everyone. The cheaper inside waistband holsters do collapse and so are more difficult to hoslter without using two hands. For a molded leather or Kydex one, if there is an obstruction and you cannot visualize it during the process, get another holster or position it where you can see what is going on. And practice, practice, practice.

mountainman13 03-29-2012 12:27 PM

I may catch flak for this but, I don't carry with one in the chamber ever.
It's just safer that way. Chances are that extra half a second it takes to rack it isn't going to be an issue if you are being aware of your environment. Maybe that half second will even give you enough time to assess the situation and save you the trouble of shooting some guy with a candy bar.