Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CC concerns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2149 Times on 1450 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

Quote:
Originally Posted by badasstruck View Post
Seriously??? I have spotless credit, but I have friends that do and do not. It should have NO bearing whatsoever...dumb statement IMHO!!
Dam near unanimous opinion

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #32

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I think what needs to change is the mentality of "punish the many for the sins of the few" that is so rampant these days. For some reason, one moron can ignite a firestorm that removes rights and opportunites for 99.99% of a population. I feel it all leads back to personal responsibility. Instead of forcing the moron to suffer the full consequences of his/her actions as an example to others, legislators just ban or restrict things "to keep it from happening again."
If people paid attention to the results of things like AD/NDs in public, there'd be more care taken. We had a doctor leave his handgun on the toilet paper dispenser of a bathroom stall at LL Bean late last year, which was found by a kid. The news covered it briefly, mentioned the doctor was summonsed, but there's no mention of verdicts rendered and punishments handed down. Instead, people started crowing about removing concealed carry as a right.
My CCW class focused very heavily on the legal repercussions of carrying, as well as the legal repercussions of discharging your weapon in defense or otherwise. Antis scream that anyone can have and carry a gun, but hilariously, it's their own "progressive thinking" that reinforces the right. Antis want difficult tests, constant recertifications, and other such bologna. They won't get them because of things like the Americans with Disabilities Act, under which you can claim discrimination for being too fat, too old, having an attention disorder, or poor reading ability. Progressive thinking allows everyone to claim something as a disability, and therefore as a reason you can't pass a test or sit still for eight hours to take a class.

We can't pick and choose our rights, or those of the people around us. If we want 2A rights, everyone has to have 2A rights. If that means Joe Tuesday down the block who's never fired a weapon in his life is carrying a .50 Desert Eagle in his coat pocket or the center console of his Range Rover with heated seats, we have to suck it up and punish him for his evetual transgressions, not restrict him before he screws up. Yes, it can potentially be a lethal screwup, yes it could be me, you, or someone we care about that suffers as a result. But, as I repeatedly tell my anti-gun acquaintances, this is not the Minority Report, where we arrest and try based on crimes committed in a possible future.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #33

Liked 374 Times on 231 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Credit worthiness tied to firearms ownership - WTF? You must work for an insurance company since they also tie rates to you credit score which is equally as crazy.

01100011011011110110110101100101001000000110000101 10111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110 01010010000001110100011010000110010101101101

davva360 Likes This 
Old 01-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Ive heard that same mantra of people new to guns shouldnt carry. People new to ccw will just end up shooting innocent people. People carrying guns will just get them taken away and shot with them.

Every state that has introduced ccw has not had a rash of innocents getting shot, guns taken, or ccw holders shot with their own guns. It just doesnt happen.

Instead of going the liberal route and thinking you know best how to lead someone else's life, how bout being conservative and letting folks decide what is best for themselves

Have faith in your neighbor he may save your life someday

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #35

Liked 111 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver35 View Post
Credit worthiness tied to firearms ownership - WTF? You must work for an insurance company since they also tie rates to you credit score which is equally as crazy.
Couldn't agree more. I have very good credit but I still think its ridiculous that they factor credit score into auto insurance premiums. If you pay monthly your coverage it is cancelled immediately so its not like they are extending credit to you.

If you pay 6 months at a time they still factor it in. I find it hard to believe theres a real close correlation between credit score and driving habits.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #36

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Ive heard that same mantra of people new to guns shouldnt carry. People new to ccw will just end up shooting innocent people. People carrying guns will just get them taken away and shot with them.

Every state that has introduced ccw has not had a rash of innocents getting shot, guns taken, or ccw holders shot with their own guns. It just doesnt happen.

Instead of going the liberal route and thinking you know best how to lead someone else's life, how bout being conservative and letting folks decide what is best for themselves

Have faith in your neighbor he may save your life someday
Mantra?...I posted the facts of life. Good, bad, agree or disagree. With more CC people will be more incidences. With more incidences they'll be a bigger cry by those that are against CC to end it....You say it won't happen? 7 posts above you proves it will. A guy shot himself in the leg in a grocery store just yesterday.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 01-29-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:54 PM   #37

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weapon
So far as I can tell, NYPD has shot more innocent bystanders in the last year than all concealed carry permit holders combined.
That's what happens when you only have to qualify once per year. Commissioner ray Kelly stated that NYC police are told if they pull their guns then are to fire 5 rounds since they tend to connect with one out of five rounds. I wonder if mayor bloomberg's security detail only qualifies once a year? Once a year saves money but costs lives.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 501 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 109

How many "highly trained" LEO's have accidentally shot themselves? Can you say glock leg?

Training is good and we should always encourage it, but last time I checked, the 2nd amendment didn't state, "after demonstrating a certain proficiency."

If the huge increase in unqualified carriers was causing all this huge increase in problems, shouldn't we be seeing blood running in the streets? Last time I checked, the places where blood is running in the streets were in the pistol free zones.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:46 AM   #39
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4464 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Mantra?...I posted the facts of life. Good, bad, agree or disagree. With more CC people will be more incidences. With more incidences they'll be a bigger cry by those that are against CC to end it....You say it won't happen? 7 posts above you proves it will. A guy shot himself in the leg in a grocery store just yesterday.
its simply not happening on anything remotely of massive proportions.

there are over 75,000 newely minted ccw folks in wisconsin. no one is getting their guns taken, no one is shooting other people than the goblin during self defense incidents, no one is getting shot by a crook with their own gun.

but the point is that its not epidemic. yes sometimes there are accidents. police shoot themselves too and they have tons of training according to the intelligencia are qualified to carry.

so because sometimes an exceedingly rare event happens no one should be allowed to carry a gun for self defense??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-29-2013 at 01:53 AM.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:57 AM   #40

Liked 748 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
its simply not happening.

there are over 75,000 newely minted ccw folks in wisconsin. no one is getting their guns taken, no one is shooting other people than the goblin during self defense incidents, no one is getting shot by a crook with their own gun.
Why do you believe there won't be an outcry? I personally, believe 'no system is perfect' so, I accept any accidental discharges or mishaps and misjudgements... if it's all relative, if percentages are reasonable.

But others won't....give it time, they'll be a a force to end it, you (we) just hope the force defending CC is greater. But, I won't stand by pretending that the anti's aren't keeping score.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.