Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CC concerns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/cc-concerns-82444/)

Sonic82 01-25-2013 08:52 PM

CC concerns

I had a discussion yesterday at my local gun store with the guy behind the counter when I bought my new SIG. They have been selling handguns galore as of late, especially sub-compacts. He said everybody wants to CC, he mentioned people that have no background with guns and know nothing about them are buying them. I am very much for the practice of Concealed Carry, but I fear there will be a backlash eventually. Iím not entirely sure these people are sincere and fully understand the responsibility of CC. Like everything in the U.SÖ.itís the new Ďtrendí. I will rejoice the day when some freak stands up in a movie theatre with his black garb and gun intent on mowing the movies patrons down when he himself gets riddled with holes from little .380ís coming from every direction. However, there are going to be incidents of these new gun owners miss judging situations, accidental discharges and pure negligence. Concealed Carry has been adopted by many states now and thatís a wonderful thing. However, I think the pendulum will swing the other way after a few tragic accidents and those of us that have many years of experience with the handling of guns will lose our rights to carry. Just like everything, a few people will ruin it for the rest of us.

Hereís an article of some lib already pissed off at CC.:mad: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/opinion/sunday/the-scourge-of-concealed-weapons.html?_r=0

eltoro 01-25-2013 09:25 PM

You forgot if the new cc holder has no clue how to use the tool and ends up getting hurt or killed with their own tool :rolleyes: It's like ar's and so forth many folks have paid premium for the rifles and have no clue hot to even take the rifle down :eek:

danf_fl 01-25-2013 10:12 PM

I try to stress training. In my state, there is a requirement to have some proof of firearms training (even the DD FM 214 will suffice).

I have met people in my 20 years of active duty who did not have any firearms training, but still got their DD FM 214s.

I hope we do not have a backlash, and that all who decide to carry do so in a safe and prudent manner.

I hope that people understand that carrying a firearm does not make one a "Navy Seal" without enduring the Navy Seal training.

BeyondTheBox 01-25-2013 10:45 PM

I was once one of these people, everyone starts somewhere. I'm not worried about anything. I think concealed carry and handgun purchases in general should be based on credit class. I believe credit class says a lot about a persons level of overall responsibility.

Sonic82 01-25-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1110129)
I try to stress training. In my state, there is a requirement to have some proof of firearms training (even the DD FM 214 will suffice).

I have met people in my 20 years of active duty who did not have any firearms training, but still got their DD FM 214s.

I hope we do not have a backlash, and that all who decide to carry do so in a safe and prudent manner.

I hope that people understand that carrying a firearm does not make one a "Navy Seal" without enduring the Navy Seal training.

Sure...my state does too. But we also have some where you pay your $100 and it's givin to you.

rjd3282 01-25-2013 10:49 PM

You should be more worried about the idiots they give drivers licenses to. What did you know when you bought your first gun? Not everybody is an idiot and they can learn just like you did. Life is dangerous you can't protect everybody all the time. Posts like this smacks of the same liberalism we are trying to get rid of. I'm sure you don't mean it to sound that way but it does. Are you saying that only the smart people get to defend themselves? Are you saying you want people to pay for training? In which case only the people with enough money can defend themselves. This all sounds like elitism and infringement when you think about it. Accidental firearm deaths for 2011 was 851 compared to over 40,000 on the highway. Don't forget, driving isn't even a right.

BeyondTheBox 01-25-2013 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjd3282 (Post 1110177)
You should be more worried about the idiots they give drivers licenses to. What did you know when you bought your first gun? Not everybody is an idiot and they can learn just like you did. Life is dangerous you can't protect everybody all the time. Posts like this smacks of the same liberalism we are trying to get rid of. I'm sure you don't mean it to sound that way but it does. Are you saying that only the smart people get to defend themselves? Are you saying you want people to pay for training? In which case only the people with enough money can defend themselves. This all sounds like elitism and infringement when you think about it. Accidental firearm deaths for 2011 was 851 compared to over 40,000 on the highway. Don't forget, driving isn't even a right.

An emphatic Amen!

Sonic82 01-25-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 1110171)
I was once one of these people, everyone starts somewhere. I'm not worried about anything. I think concealed carry and handgun purchases in general should be based on credit class. I believe credit class says a lot about a persons level of overall responsibility.

Yup...and that's all good.But there's always that certain percentage.

Rick1967 01-25-2013 11:18 PM

This has been the fear of the anti-gunners ever since cc started. They said the streets would be filled with blood. It would be like the ok corral. Not so. There are a crap load of people that cc now. If they were shooting people accidentally it would be all over the news already. There have been a few incidents. But if it were like that they woulkd have exploited it!

partdeux 01-25-2013 11:43 PM

The streets are running in blood since CC permits were opened in MI. Oh wait, nothing happened!

Take some newbies to the range and encourage additional practice and talk about further training.