Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > CC at Church laws, KY & TX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 10:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I sit in church with my Bible and Walther PPK here in PA. I believe a few of my friends do too!

Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I was born & raised in Ky and I carry everywhere except my kids' high school. It IS legal to carry in church in Ky as I've never seen the weapons banned sign on my church (or any other church) door.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-09-2009, 02:46 AM   #23

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

In VA the suggestion is that you not carry in church during worship services, and you can't take a weapon/gun/firearm/anything on public school grounds. The church one is a state one, and the school one is a federal one.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #24

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Stalkingbear is correct in this issue. According to http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/KYSL.pdf there is no specific provision prohibiting the concealed carry of firearms in places of worship in Kentucky.

Also, there are such things as "shotgun weddings!"

Last edited by kusterleXD; 10-10-2009 at 04:40 PM.

Old 10-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsearfoss View Post
I sit in church with my Bible and Walther PPK here in PA. I believe a few of my friends do too!
Way to go, Ducky!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #26

Carrying a firearm, concealed or open, in a church in KY is not against any law.

to the poster who asked about penalties for carrying on univerity grounds in KY, the only penalty will come from the school, as carry on colleges and universities is not prohibited in state law. Before I returned to TN, there was talk about forcing state controlled universities to fall under the state pre-emption statutes (meaning they could not prohibit carry either). Not sure where this is now.

Always remember, the law doesn't allow, it prohibits.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:03 AM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
No churches in MO either. ...
With all due respect, Lowrider, that is not quite correct. RSMo.571.107.1(14) states one may not carry in "[a]ny church or other place of religious worship *without the consent of the minister or person or persons representing the religious organization that exercises control over the place of religious worship.*"

If the minister or church board approve it or give permission then one may carry in that church quite legally. The pastor of the church I attend is a CCW instructor and has announced from the pulpit that anyone with a valid CCW endorsement is not only welcome but encouraged to come to his church armed. Given that, counting myself and the pastor, there are at least five CCW instructors attending that church and quite a few successful CCW students I would estimate that about 1/10 of the congregation is packing heat during any given Sunday service.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #28

Have to be careful in some churches that also have schools on the premises. Some state laws, IIRC, do not discriminate between public and private schools.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by brolin_1911a1 View Post
With all due respect, Lowrider, that is not quite correct. RSMo.571.107.1(14) states one may not carry in "[a]ny church or other place of religious worship *without the consent of the minister or person or persons representing the religious organization that exercises control over the place of religious worship.*"

If the minister or church board approve it or give permission then one may carry in that church quite legally. The pastor of the church I attend is a CCW instructor and has announced from the pulpit that anyone with a valid CCW endorsement is not only welcome but encouraged to come to his church armed. Given that, counting myself and the pastor, there are at least five CCW instructors attending that church and quite a few successful CCW students I would estimate that about 1/10 of the congregation is packing heat during any given Sunday service.

Thanks for setting the MO laws straight. I would add that CCW training is to protect self and other indivuals. A crowded church is a whole other ball game, get more training!!! Our church has adopted an armed security team and paid for our training. Intruder Response - for churches, educational and corporate entities This was awsome. We only give said permission to persons with advanced training to carry in the church building.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:36 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by patm View Post
Thanks for setting the MO laws straight. I would add that CCW training is to protect self and other indivuals. A crowded church is a whole other ball game, get more training!!! Our church has adopted an armed security team and paid for our training. Intruder Response - for churches, educational and corporate entities This was awsome. We only give said permission to persons with advanced training to carry in the church building.
You're welcome, patm. And I wholeheartedly agree with you about CCW being to protect oneself and one's loved ones, that more active involvement should be left to those who train for it.

With that said, one of those church members is the operator of Black Ops School Of Combat. The pastor and church security are all graduates of Greg's church security course many have taken his advanced tactical handgun courses as well.

That said, not being part of that official church security force, I expect that my most likely action and those of the other CCW carriers, armed or not, would be to drop to the floor and assess the situation from there. The church is small enough that rarely are there more than a couple of hundred people in the auditorium and almost all are known to each other. Above all else, rule #4 always applies.