CC at Church laws, KY & TX - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection >

CC at Church laws, KY & TX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
That is a Class A Misdemeanor in TX. Carries a max penalty of 1 yr in jail and a $2,000 fine.
Dang, so let's say, hypothetically, that I'm in a church service in TX, and a gunman bursts in. I have my concealed carry licence and I take him down. I can get a Class A Misdemeanor with a $2,000 fine and up to 1 year in jail for taking the thug down? Wow. Hmmm, would a CHL be suspended or taken away for a misdemeanor class A?

Anyone know what the exact laws are concerning carrying in church are in KY? And the penalties for breaking those laws in KY?

Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 AM   #12

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedsasquatch View Post
Dang, so let's say, hypothetically, that I'm in a church service in TX, and a gunman bursts in. I have my concealed carry licence and I take him down. I can get a Class A Misdemeanor with a $2,000 fine and up to 1 year in jail for taking the thug down? Wow. Hmmm, would a CHL be suspended or taken away for a misdemeanor class A?
Hmmm.......MHO here, I would think the church and the law would overlook it, praise the Lord, shout out a few how-a-lou-ya brothers and make you an honorary Decon in their church.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Hmmm.......MHO here, I would think the church and the law would overlook it, praise the Lord, shout out a few how-a-lou-ya brothers and make you an honorary Decon in their church.

Jack
Oh, I know the church would (a number of people in the church carry), I'm mainly wondering about the law...

Old 08-27-2009, 11:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
I believe the last Texas Legislator passed a law to come into effect that the place of buisiness that serves liquer is not restricted any longer, will have to look it up exactly, but there were changes for the better for CHL holders.

But like it was said, unless you show and tell, who is to know, better to be judged by twelve, that carried by six. Your Choice.

Layton
The new Tx law states that you cannot be held responsible if you carry in aplace that derives 51% of it's profits from the sale of alcohol but fails to post it in a manner consistant with 30-06. Which is the statute that spells out the requirements of the warning that you Cannot carry in said establishment. It has to be the verbatim to the law. They can post any sign they like but the only one that mUst be observed is 30-06( I.e. A simple "no handgun" sign is not good enough).

Last edited by Dan The Man; 08-27-2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Elaboration

Old 08-29-2009, 07:42 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can carry in church in TX, unless the 30.06 statute is posted outside.

You are prohibited from carrying in 46.035 subsection b-6, but in subsection i it says that the law for subsections b-4,5,and 6 do not apply unless the actor was given effective notice under Section 30.06.

Last edited by Texanbybirth; 08-29-2009 at 07:46 PM.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 73 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 16

[QUOTE=Texanbybirth;152795]You can carry in church in TX, unless the 30.06 statute is posted outside.

QUOTE]

I have to agree with this. I went through my "Texas Concealed Handgun Laws" handbook, and I didn't find ANY reference to unlawful carry in a church. The appropriate 30.06 signage would certainly be required...

Old 08-30-2009, 03:08 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3450 Times on 1775 Posts
Likes Given: 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanbybirth View Post
You can carry in church in TX, unless the 30.06 statute is posted outside.

You are prohibited from carrying in 46.035 subsection b-6, but in subsection i it says that the law for subsections b-4,5,and 6 do not apply unless the actor was given effective notice under Section 30.06.
You are correct. That is one of the large problems with Texas firearms laws, you have to read to the very last word of the statute because they put in those "does not apply unless" wording.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
You are correct. That is one of the large problems with Texas firearms laws, you have to read to the very last word of the statute because they put in those "does not apply unless" wording.
Wow, that's good to know! Thanks!

Old 08-31-2009, 05:42 PM   #19

Liked 191 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Oregon response

Wow, that very much concerns me about certain states.

In Oregon, a concealed permit holder is allowed to carry anywhere. Except:

-Courthouses and federal buildings
-Any private building whose owner posts a visible sign (which could include a church if the church POSTS a sign to that effect)

Otherwise, any sign on public property that says no firearms only applies to people who are open carrying legally. For permit holders, those signs do NOT apply. We can carry ANYWHERE except for a very few limits.

At my church a couple of the board members specifically got carry permits so we WILL carry in church.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #20

I live in KY and carry in church, as so many of my brothers ans sisters. Another church in town has a pastor who vocally supports CCW and carries himself.
I have not seen the issue specifically addressed so my thoughts are, if it ain't mentioned in the legaleze and no signage is posted, feel free to use your right to carry.
I have a close friend who was in the church in Knoxville when that idiot came in and killed paritioners. The attending usher that was the hero by placing himself in harm's way was standing in front of my friend's daughters. He didn't make it but saved their lives.
As far as they could find out, no one in the church was armed. Not me, I will protect my family.