Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   CC at Church laws, KY & TX (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/cc-church-laws-ky-tx-17362/)

feedsasquatch 08-26-2009 02:17 PM

CC at Church laws, KY & TX

I'll preface this by stating that my current state of residence is KY, but I frequently visit relatives in Texas.

Alright, if I'm reading the TX CHL manual correctly, it forbids the carrying of a concealed weapon in a church, synagogue and other places of worship (PC 46.035). Since this is a state regulation, what happens if it is broken? Is this a "minor" violation, like a speeding ticket, or is this something serious that's going to get my butt thrown in jail and licence suspended if I violate it? The section in question also forbids carrying a concealed handgun in schools, bars, amusements parks, etc...

Now, I tried to search through my state's, KY, manual, and I could not find anything that forbid carrying a concealed weapon in a place of worship. Maybe I just missed it. Can someone from KY help me out here? Oh, and another question, I believe that my university, of which I am now an alumni, forbids carrying guns on it campus. What kind of violation would it be if I carried concealed on my school's campus?

I'm not trying to be a rule-breaker or anything, I just need to know what the penalties are for breaking the rules. If I know that a violation of some said law could involve jail-time, well, I just won't even bother carrying my gun on a Sunday, and be screwed if something bad happens to me I guess...

IGETEVEN 08-26-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feedsasquatch (Post 150972)
I'm not trying to be a rule-breaker or anything, I just need to know what the penalties are for breaking the rules. If I know that a violation of some said law could involve jail-time, well, I just won't even bother carrying my gun on a Sunday, and be screwed if something bad happens to me I guess...

Don't know the penalties in Texas, but here in Oklahoma I have never yet had God ask me if I was carrying in his house. Concealed carry means exactly that. If you are carrying correctly, and you keep quiet, no one would ever know, except God. You can always leave your firearm in the car, locked and secure, if you have doubts. :)

Jack

robocop10mm 08-26-2009 05:29 PM

That is a Class A Misdemeanor in TX. Carries a max penalty of 1 yr in jail and a $2,000 fine.

spittinfire 08-26-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 151093)
That is a Class A Misdemeanor in TX. Carries a max penalty of 1 yr in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Robo, I'm curious now. Where in TX can you NOT carry concealled?

IGETEVEN 08-26-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 151093)

Damn Robo, Texas has some strict CC laws regarding church carry. Here in Oklahoma there is not really a statute on it, unless it is in a school, then no firearms. Most all the churches here do not say anything about it. If they do not want you to carry in the church, they will post it, but have to say, never saw one that did, at least the Christian ones, that is.

Jack

c3shooter 08-26-2009 06:48 PM

Link to Texas law summary: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

Kentucky does not address churches (that I can find)

I live in VA. I carry in church. So do 4 other members of the congregation THAT I KNOW OF. So does our minister.

We had a talk with him after some of the church shootings. He is former Marine, believes one of his duties is looking after his flock- and other than the choir (who are pretty talented, but rather useless in a fight) HE is the only one facing in that direction during most of the service.

robocop10mm 08-26-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 151110)
Robo, I'm curious now. Where in TX can you NOT carry concealled?

Me? Maybe the Federal Couthouse, but that is not really Texas. It is more like a foreign embassy on Texas soil.

CHL holders?
Schools
Bars, etc that get 51% of their income from Alcohol sales.
Jails and prisons
Hospitals
Amusement parks
Churches
Governmental meetings
Anywhere while intoxicated

spittinfire 08-26-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 151155)
Me? Maybe the Federal Couthouse, but that is not really Texas. It is more like a foreign embassy on Texas soil.

CHL holders?
Schools
Jails and prisons
Hospitals
Amusement parks
Churches
Governmental meetings

That's very much like NC except churches.

layton 08-26-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 151155)

CHL holders?
Schools
Jails and prisons
Hospitals
Amusement parks
Churches
Governmental meetings

I believe the last Texas Legislator passed a law to come into effect that the place of buisiness that serves liquer is not restricted any longer, will have to look it up exactly, but there were changes for the better for CHL holders.

But like it was said, unless you show and tell, who is to know, better to be judged by twelve, that carried by six. Your Choice.

Layton

Lowrider 08-26-2009 10:24 PM

No churches in MO either. But if you are in a place that does not allow, the owners have to ask you to leave. You can leave, put your gun in the car, and come right back. If you refuse to leave and you are still there when the police arrive, it is an infraction. Something less than a misdemeanor. You have to have three of these before it can impact your CCW.

Bottom line: concealed. If they see it, you aren't doing a very good job.