Caution When Choosing Carry Method
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Caution When Choosing Carry Method

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 212 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default Caution When Choosing Carry Method

The article didn't mention the type of gun but I'm betting a Glock since a 2 year old wouldn't have the strength to pull a heavier trigger.

http://abc7.com/news/2-year-old-accidentally-shoots-kills-woman-at-walmart/455637/

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2014, 08:59 PM   #2

Liked 3227 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 422

The old standard rule about "Keep out of the reach of children" would apply here, regardless of type of type. Especially if you gun is just bouncing around at the bottom of your purse.

On a side note:

Quote:
Hayden is a politically conservative town of about 9,000 people just north of Coeur d'Alene in Idaho's northern panhandle.
Interesting how you seldom see this sort of description of some small town in say Massachusetts or New Jersey. I wonder why they would find it necessary?
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 12-31-2014, 02:04 AM   #3
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 978 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 483

Perhaps there are times when a safety isn't such a bad idea? Certainly a strong argument against placing the safety on the trigger!

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 12-31-2014, 03:21 AM   #4

Liked 827 Times on 444 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I just saw this on the news.

Plenty of fingers to point but none worth it. Just sad.

Can you imagine growing up and learning one day that you killed your mother when you where two? Jesus... that would suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

People Like This 
Old 12-31-2014, 03:28 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I carry IWB...my daughter has an affinity for walking and leaning on that side, she is fine with trigger protected in holster but nevertheless, it's a no no. Same daughter is 4, put my gun on to walk to check mail, she wants to talk about guns, it's a challenge, to teach her we don't talk about guns outside of the house. Guns are for good guys to protect us from bad guys. She's getting better with the topic. If I carried it in my purse, I don't think I would keep one in the pipe though.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:31 AM   #6

Liked 183 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 162

The gun had to be in battery with the safety off. How could a 2 year old pull a trigger with such a small hand? It may have been a cocked revolver. People without training in handgun use do some foolish things.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
Perhaps there are times when a safety isn't such a bad idea? Certainly a strong argument against placing the safety on the trigger!
I like Glocks & have six of them & I like that they have no manual safety. BUT (for me), they are house guns; not concealed-carry guns. They are ready to go but are in quick-access lock boxes. For carry, I prefer a traditional double-action auto or a revolver. I feel safer with a 10-12-lb. trigger on the first shot.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnight View Post
The gun had to be in battery with the safety off. How could a 2 year old pull a trigger with such a small hand? It may have been a cocked revolver. People without training in handgun use do some foolish things.
Anything's possible but I doubt someone would cock a revolver & stick it in a purse (or anywhere else). Besides, the reports say she had a CCW. I would think that would require some elementary testing.

The kid probably didn't even pull the gun out of the purse or grip the gun; he/she probably just fished around in the purse like kids do & inadvertently pulled the trigger. If it was a Glock, the trigger is only around 5.5 lbs. Even less if it was a Mod. 34 or modified.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:37 AM   #9

Liked 2219 Times on 1524 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If she had the gun in a proper holster the kid couldn't just pull the trigger if the trigger broke at 2lb. Another reason purse carry is a bad, bad idea.

It has been a long time since we have had little ones in the house. I have lost my edge as far as instinctively knowing when a child is making mischief. I lock everything up when little ones are in the house. I lock my carry pistol in the toolbox when I visit a home with little ones in the house.

Many people are totally unaware of the trouble kids can get into. I have gotten to the point that I ask people to take their kids somewhere when we are working on a house. We are there to repair or remodel the house, not babysit their kids.

Same thing with pets. Oh that dog won't bite. Next thing you know a 60lb dog has one of the boys cornered. The owner is saying he is just playing. Next thing you know a couple of my guys are shining their boots on their dog. Anytime a dog is growling at a stranger he aint playing.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #10

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

If she put a loaded gun in her purse ready to fire with no other means of protecting the trigger she deserved to get shot. Better her than an innocent bystander.

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"