Castle law ???? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Castle law ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default gun laws

you want answers get your state ass to answer as many here are from other
states and there laws are different.
join Grass Roots and they are the ones to tell you what the laws are as they lobby for the laws.
Tom Burkizer 803-782-9210 secretary
SC law covers any where you are legally alowed to be.parking lot or home.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #22

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

The castle laws vary by state and in Texas, by night or day. Once the sun goes down, the law changes in respect to when a shot may be fired. The presumption is no longer that you had to protect your life then you fired. After dark, you may fire to protect your castle and everything in or around it. That can extend to your neighbors property as well.

You probably couldn't get by with running after the BG's while firing at them as they ran down the street. Other than that, the BG's are at a real disadvantage at night.

It's a serious mistake to go lurking around at night in Texas!

Flash

Old 03-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY View Post
I live in SC, what is protected by the Castle Law.
I have sent numerous emails to officials, but no response.
I'm not acting on popular opinion, but would like to see what others feelings on the law is!
The castle law states that your home, property, business,and occupied vehicle is your castle. The rights of your home are extended to the property, and your vehicle while you are in it.
General firearms law states that you can carry a weapon concealed or open on your private property. Firearms law also states that a firearm must be in a latching compartment in your vehicle, unless you have a CWP.

My thoughts are aimed at the automotive end of the law. If the castle law was placed in effect after the original law covering storage, or CWP carry, then what law is correct? If I do not have a CWP, and carry my weapon concealed from my home to my business, am I breaking the law?

Not by the way I read it. My understanding is that a law placed in effect supercedes another. I am also reading that the rights of my home are extended to my vehicle, meaning that I do not have to have a CWP, and can carry open or concealed in my vehicle. I have the right to carry open, concealed, ect.. on myproperty with no CWP, so.......

What do you think?
Your first paragraph sounds like a repeat of generalizations heard from some source. Why not just read the S.C. Code and decide for yourself what it says. I'm sure it's written in plain English and won't be too difficult to understand.

The fact that S.C. has a Castle Law doesn't mean that S.C. can't impose restrictions on how weapons are carried in motor vehicles.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #24

Liked 196 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Here in MI,if I got it correctly,you can shoot anyone who breaks into your house reguardless of whether they are armed or not,but castle law does not extend to your property.If I shot someone in my yard at 3AM,they better be armed and attacking me or i'm in big trouble.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 03-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY View Post
My thoughts are aimed at the automotive end of the law. If the castle law was placed in effect after the original law covering storage, or CWP carry, then what law is correct? If I do not have a CWP, and carry my weapon concealed from my home to my business, am I breaking the law?

Not by the way I read it. My understanding is that a law placed in effect supercedes another. I am also reading that the rights of my home are extended to my vehicle, meaning that I do not have to have a CWP, and can carry open or concealed in my vehicle. I have the right to carry open, concealed, ect.. on myproperty with no CWP, so.......

What do you think?
You would be breaking the law if you carried your weapon concealed in your vehicle without a CWP. This includes any easily accessible but concealed location, such as your door storage compartments and your glove box. I know in North Carolina I can have my pistol in the car fully loaded in a visible location.

If you have your firearm in a bag it has to be in a location where you cannot easily reach it, or it still counts as concealed. That means if you have your range bag, you better take the pistol out and put it on the passenger seat or else place the whole bag in your trunk, probably with the gun unloaded.

Things to think about before you Open Carry
Read this before you decide to carry!

Old 03-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

There is a very cloudy part of the law in Texas where you can carry a pistol in your car if you are "Traveling". Those provisions have been changed within the past year but it's up to an individual LEO to decide to write a coupon or not. Interpretation of those regulations can vary from county to county, too. It's best not to fool with it.

A better option in Texas is to stay away from the handguns and carry a loaded rifle or shotgun in the vehicle, instead. That is legal here.

You can also get your Texas CHL. I chose that route.

Flash

Last edited by ROGER4314; 03-20-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorsHammer View Post
You would be breaking the law if you carried your weapon concealed in your vehicle without a CWP. This includes any easily accessible but concealed location, such as your door storage compartments and your glove box. I know in North Carolina I can have my pistol in the car fully loaded in a visible location.

If you have your firearm in a bag it has to be in a location where you cannot easily reach it, or it still counts as concealed. That means if you have your range bag, you better take the pistol out and put it on the passenger seat or else place the whole bag in your trunk, probably with the gun unloaded.
SC you can carry a loaded hand gun in your vehicle without any CWP. It is a requirement to be in a latching compartment, but nothing more than than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutabam View Post
Your first paragraph sounds like a repeat of generalizations heard from some source. Why not just read the S.C. Code and decide for yourself what it says. I'm sure it's written in plain English and won't be too difficult to understand.

The fact that S.C. has a Castle Law doesn't mean that S.C. can't impose restrictions on how weapons are carried in motor vehicles.
It's all me. I'm no chain mail repeating PITA!

The problem I have is that the law is very clear, and very contradicting of another law. I guess I have a habit of pushing buttons that don;t need to be, but can't resist. Lawmakers in this state have made a habit of signing laws that are contradicting, and it seems like no one calls them out on it! If they make a new law it should be superceding the older law. If not, then there's a few issues that come to mind!
(Legally I can take my wife to the steps of the state court house on the first sunday of the month, proclaim whatever issue I have with her behavior, and give her a beating. ) That's a very clear declaration in state law.
(Legally i can arrest any person I see driving a motor vehicle down a city street in the state capitol & get a reward, cause it scares the horses ) another very clear state law.

The list of laws goes on & on. Just extreme examples, but you get the point. I guess I'm more pi**ed about the process than the specific laws.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:20 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It really depends upon the state you're in. In Missouri, a concealable firearm may be carried anywhere in the passenger compartment, loaded or unloaded, concealed or openly, as long as the person possessing it is over 21 and otherwise legally able to possess the gun.

You really need to look up the statutes in your own state and see what they say. Every state is different.