Castle law ????
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Castle law ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 04:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Castle law ????

I live in SC, what is protected by the Castle Law.
I have sent numerous emails to officials, but no response.
I'm not acting on popular opinion, but would like to see what others feelings on the law is!
The castle law states that your home, property, business,and occupied vehicle is your castle. The rights of your home are extended to the property, and your vehicle while you are in it.
General firearms law states that you can carry a weapon concealed or open on your private property. Firearms law also states that a firearm must be in a latching compartment in your vehicle, unless you have a CWP.

My thoughts are aimed at the automotive end of the law. If the castle law was placed in effect after the original law covering storage, or CWP carry, then what law is correct? If I do not have a CWP, and carry my weapon concealed from my home to my business, am I breaking the law?

Not by the way I read it. My understanding is that a law placed in effect supercedes another. I am also reading that the rights of my home are extended to my vehicle, meaning that I do not have to have a CWP, and can carry open or concealed in my vehicle. I have the right to carry open, concealed, ect.. on myproperty with no CWP, so.......

What do you think?

NEVER argue with an IDIOT!!!
They will only drag you down to their level,
and then beat you with experience!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-11-2009, 04:56 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9561 Times on 4114 Posts
Likes Given: 1499

I am NOT an attorney, and am in no way qualified to offer legal advice. However, in GENERAL, the Castle Doctrine refers to your rights to defend certain places without being legally required to retreat. CONCEALED CARRY, on the other hand, refers to when and where it is legal to carry a concealed weapon. Apples and Oranges.

You might check with your State Rifle Association, and see if they can offer some guidance.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #3

Go get a cwp and then you dont have to worry about it. You can carry concealed in your car and home with no problems.

I think but not 100 % positive if you dont have a cwp and you carry concealed you will be in violation of the law were as if you carry open you would not be

Because a Cwp is giving you the right to carry concealed on your preson were as you can not do that with open carry.

So i would suggest maybe to lock the firearm up in the golve box till you can get an expert to tell you one way or another.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:35 AM   #4

I have a CWP, but this is one of those things that just interest me. The law is far from clear.

I can carry concealed or open on my private property (without a CWP) per existing weapons laws. My question is if the castle law is broadening the scope of what is considered my private property. If my vehicle is now considered my private property, then should i not be able to carry with or without a CWP?

I'm actually pushing the SC attourney generals office for some closure on this. I was just wondering what the general public thought.

My problem is just as C3SHOOTER said "apples and oranges"
One law dictates the right to defend myself, and one law dictates where I can legally carry a firearm, and how. The issue is within the definition of private property. Before every law in SC books there is a definition of the legal phrases, and words. The castle law being the newest addition to the law book, states that my occupied vehicle is private property. If the newer law has changed the definition, or coverage of what private property is, then I would assume that it ha changed the whole law book where private property is concered. That's just how I think, but it seems logical to me!

Old 10-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #5
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think your trying to strech the term private property. Your coat is also private property but if your carry a pistol in your coat pocket in public with out a CWP and get caught your going to jail. The castle law does not mention conleaded carry of a firearm, just the justified use of a firearm.

Often when you press lawmakers to better define existing laws the end result will be a more restrictive law.

I am NOT an attorney or even played one on TV, just my opinion.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 10-13-2009 at 03:32 AM.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Greasemonkey, I believe that you are confusing two entirely different issues, the right to use deadly force in self defense, and the legal right to possess the means of doing so.

The concept behind the Castle Doctrine laws is that one may legally use deadly force to protect against a home invasion rather than being required to flee or attempt to flee first. In many states, including my home state of Missouri, the law or the courts expect or expected one to make every effort to flee the scene without using violence. Missouri had no such law but the courts would instruct juries that such a responsibility existed. The Castle Doctrine states that no such duty exists; if one's occupied home, occupied structure, tent, or vehicle is invaded one may instantly assume a deadly threat and use deadly force to stop it. And, in Missouri at least, one is also protected against civil lawsuits resulting from such use of force.

But none of that automatically grants you the right or privilege to legally possess the means of deadly force, i.e., the deadly weapon. That is still addressed by the concealed carry laws of your state. All the Castle Doctrine laws do is lighten the burden of using such weapons if you have them.

The usual caveat that IANAL applies, of course.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

FYI, in most states, the Attorney General's office works for the state, not individual citizens, when it comes to a duty to provide legal interpretations of the law. That means that you can write or call them all you like, but you probably won't get an answer. They typically only provide legal opinions to the governor and members of the state's legislature.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I think your trying to strech the term private property. Your coat is also private property
My coat is personal property, as defined by SC law.

[QUOTE=WDB;173360]The castle law does not mention conleaded carry of a firearm, just the justified use of a firearm.
QUOTE]
True, but as every SC law it carries the legal definition of terms in the article. 5yrs ago my vehicle was personal property, it is now private property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919A4 View Post
FYI, in most states, the Attorney General's office works for the state, not individual citizens, when it comes to a duty to provide legal interpretations of the law. That means that you can write or call them all you like, but you probably won't get an answer. They typically only provide legal opinions to the governor and members of the state's legislature.
As Chief Legal Officer, the Attorney General:

(1) Represents and advises the State, its agencies, political subdivision, and its officials in legal matters when the State is a party to a legal action, either as plaintiff or defendant;

(2) Is responsible for employing and supervising those attorneys who represent the State, as well as, overseeing the State’s litigation and effectuating South Carolina’s legal policy;

(3) Issues official legal opinions upon request by constitutional officers, members of the General Assembly, and certain state and local officials;

#3 is the one I'm interested in!
I got my local Police Cheif curious about the technical side of this query. He has sent this question to the state's officers academy, and the attourney generals office.

I'll let yall know what kind of response he gets.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:17 PM   #9

Everyone should keep in mind that castle laws may differ state by state.

You may also want to contact the county prosecutor in your area. Being the person who you come after you for breaking that law he should have a good idea of its meaning. This is easier to do if your from a rural area. (Smaller offices mean its easier to get through to people.) Same can be said of local cops.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguy130 View Post
everyone should keep in mind that castle laws may differ state by state.

You may also want to contact the county prosecutor in your area. Being the person who you come after you for breaking that law he should have a good idea of its meaning. This is easier to do if your from a rural area. (smaller offices mean its easier to get through to people.) same can be said of local cops.
doctrine...