Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > castle doctrine in nc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Likes Given: 291

Default castle doctrine in nc?

I looked around to see if someone had asked this question already but could not find any thread addressing this issue... Is there a castle doctrine law in NC? I searched the NC DOJ and could not find anything.

Countries are eaten up by the parties they favor, and ravaged by the one they oppose. Fathers and sons, sheath their swords in anothers bowels in the field, and their wives and daughters are exposed to rudeness and lust of ruffians at home.~PHILANTHROPOS

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #2

the best way to find out is to speak to a NC lawyer.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 PM   #3

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Senate Bill 928 It is still stalled in your State House.

NRA-ILA :: North Carolina: ?Castle Doctrine? Self-Defense Bill Still Stalled in Raleigh

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-12-2009, 09:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Senate Bill 928 It is still stalled in your State House.

NRA-ILA :: North Carolina: ?Castle Doctrine? Self-Defense Bill Still Stalled in Raleigh

Jack
Thanks...I looked through the NRA site earlier but did not see this...I have spent the past couple hours reading over the North Carolina General Statutes for some info.

Even with a military background, I have been apprehensive about owning a handgun. The neighborhood I live in has gangs, prostitution , drug trafficking and frequent gunfire at night. The Law enforcement here seems to do very little or nothing about these blatant crimes. Would move if I could. Until then I have to be able to protect my most valued belongings... my wife, son and 2 year old doberman.

The last thing I ever want to do is shoot someone, however, if that situation arises it is paramount that I know my rights!

Countries are eaten up by the parties they favor, and ravaged by the one they oppose. Fathers and sons, sheath their swords in anothers bowels in the field, and their wives and daughters are exposed to rudeness and lust of ruffians at home.~PHILANTHROPOS

Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Old 10-15-2009, 01:50 AM   #5

I live in Charlotte and took my ccw course a few weeks ago. We learned that " North Carolina does allow the use of force up to and including deadly force against an intruder ( G.S. 14-51.1 ) to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence." Basically it means forget the old adage " Shoot him and drag him inside". in NC you need to shoot the intruder before he gets inside

Old 10-15-2009, 03:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
I live in Charlotte and took my ccw course a few weeks ago. We learned that " North Carolina does allow the use of force up to and including deadly force against an intruder ( G.S. 14-51.1 ) to prevent a forcible entry into the home or residence or to terminate the intruder's unlawful entry if the occupant reasonably apprehends that the intruder may kill or inflict serious bodily harm to the occupant or others in the home or residence, or if the occupant reasonably believes that the intruder intends to commit a felony in the home or residence." Basically it means forget the old adage " Shoot him and drag him inside". in NC you need to shoot the intruder before he gets inside
Thank you for the info.....

I am going to the Sheriffs office tomorrow to pick up my first ever handgun permit. I believe the concealed carry class is next on my agenda.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
That's pretty accurate. You can use deadly force if someone is forcing their way into your home, but if you walk in on someone robbing you, you can't use deadly force, UNLESS he attacks you. So you don't really need to shoot before he gets inside; however the situation inside the home will dictate whether DF was justified. IIRC the Castle Doctine keeps stalling because the Libs don't like that the CD would not allow the perp's family to sue you. Go figure

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
That's pretty accurate. You can use deadly force if someone is forcing their way into your home, but if you walk in on someone robbing you, you can't use deadly force, UNLESS he attacks you. So you don't really need to shoot before he gets inside; however the situation inside the home will dictate whether DF was justified. IIRC the Castle Doctine keeps stalling because the Libs don't like that the CD would not allow the perp's family to sue you. Go figure
No material possessions which I own are worth someone's life.

I wonder what happens if you come home everything seems ok. You walk into your bedroom and you see an intruder going through your stuff....you draw your weapon and order them out, if he/she then charges at you and you then fire your weapon into them. Will the current laws view you or the intruder as the aggressor in this situation? Maybe the BG had no intention of harming you till he felt a threat to his life.

In a situation like this, reaction time is critical and seems to me that not having a castle doctrine law in effect gives the intruder an unfair advantage

Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Here is a good site to answer CCW requirements and castle law in effect. This sites state NC has the castle law.

USA Carry - Open and Concealed Carry Information and Community

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDeanSr View Post
No material possessions which I own are worth someone's life.

I wonder what happens if you come home everything seems ok. You walk into your bedroom and you see an intruder going through your stuff....you draw your weapon and order them out, if he/she then charges at you and you then fire your weapon into them. Will the current laws view you or the intruder as the aggressor in this situation? Maybe the BG had no intention of harming you till he felt a threat to his life.

In a situation like this, reaction time is critical and seems to me that not having a castle doctrine law in effect gives the intruder an unfair advantage
I agree with that scenario; such is the responsibilities of a gun owner to make a very quick decision. Without jumping off track here, I would offer that this exact situation is why I recommend that anyone who owns a firearm for protection takes some sort of hand to hand combat or martial arts...IMO

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.