Carrying while intoxicated - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying while intoxicated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Interesting question. I don't carry concealed or outside my vehicle or home, as that is all that is allowed without a carry permit in MS.

I do wonder though, would i rather risk my life/health by not carrying a firearm after drinking, even though i could need the firearm to defend myself, or would i rather risk getting charged and going to court. I guess it is good i don't carry concealed outside the car; i will roll the dice in a court of law many times over before i would roll the dice in the alley with my life.

Of course, i don't usually drink more than a couple of drinks if i will be driving or in need of my senses. If i am to be drinking more than a couple of drinks, i will be staying the night near the glass. If i am drinking at home, i do not lock up all the firearms until i regain sobriety. Although, if i were having buddies over for cards and drinking (not usual), i would secure all firearms from my guests to avoid any accidents should one of them exceed his/her ability to control themselves.

If you were injured and had no communications equipment available, would you attempt to drive to a hospital, even though you would be risking a accident due to fainting from blood loss? I live in the boonies, and i sure as heck would.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 08-07-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #42

Liked 104 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 219

I dont drink and drive, if i know i might drink i make sure that i have arrangements for a ride home, also i dont drink and carry. I never drink enough to get drunk, i rarely drink, just dont see the point in it. If i still have half a beer but my body is signalling no more, i dump it down the drain. Its good to know what your body's telling you. For me with alcohol the taste changes, it starts tasting like what rubbing alcohol smells like. And even then i get real drowsy. I ha e to be careful as i have alcoholics in my family. I dont want to become one, ny coffee addiction is bad enough, lol

Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #43

Liked 2453 Times on 1592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
I stop drinking in 1987 when I got my first CCL. I was lucky to many times before that.

Check your states laws for you supposied lite drinkers if you really think only a few bears are fine. Do it in a car and its called DUI. If you ever find the need to use a firearm or screw up in a car and an officer smells anything you will get to blow for a reading or get a blood test. Bet a DA will go after a .05 those few bear come back to destroy your live between courts , criminal or civil.

Read here for your states DUI laws.
http://www.duipenalties.net/
A few bears.. tee hee

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 PM   #44

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I don't drink and drive, its just plain stupid. My dad was nearly killed by a drunk driver when I was just a year old so I have my reason.

I've gone to 4th of July parties and drank but left my gun in my truck and only drink 2 or 3 beers all night. The only time I've had a gun on me and drank is sometimes my wife and I go to dinner at ocharleys or cracker barrel etc and I might have a single beer, that's it. It takes me most of the time we are at the resturant to drink one and my judgement isn't affected.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 08-07-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #45

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ive had my share of alcoholics, my mother has been an alcoholic all of my life, 2 christmas's ago i actually kicked her out of my house because of her beligerent behavior, she is an idiot drunk. My mother n law is also an alcoholic, she just got her second DUI a few months ago, totalled her car a few "weeks" ago, and STILL keeps a bottle of vodka in her NEW car and makes mixed drinks while she is driving. Some people just dont care

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Last edited by MrWray; 08-07-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Alphawolf45 Likes This 
Old 08-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #46

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Shootings are on the rise each year.... I saw Dark Knight Rises on premiere night, same time as the Colorado shootings... I saw it again Sunday with my pops, knowing I would have 2-3 beers at the movie theater, I carried anyway.... We all are faced with decisions on daily.basis... Its up to us what we decide.. I dont have to drink, but the reality of a crazed gunman shooting up ANYWHERE I could be.... Will not make me change who I am, where I go, or what Im doing... It will only change how I am prepared for such events..

Old 08-08-2012, 12:15 AM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 868 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 189

State laws trump the legal side.

Drinking, lock it up

MI firearms are screwy, especially when it comes to alcohol.

Old 08-08-2012, 12:30 AM   #48

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I dont want anything altering my mind or clouding my judgement when im with my family and carrying. Im the protector of my family and i take that very serious, alcohol affects your reflexes, reaction time, vision, and thought process, and i cant afford to lose any of those if the SHTF.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

JonM Likes This 
Old 08-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #49

Liked 116 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I see no reason too. If you are carrying a weapon dont drink. If you plan on drinking dont carry. Pretty simple.

That said I know on a few occasions I would have still registered at the range from the night before when I was in the Corps.

Let your reps know how you feel about your 2nd Amendment Right.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Old 08-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #50
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
this guy was obviously "bragging" to all of the pretty nurses! Either that, or his drinking binge got interrupted by going to the hospital and that was his planned conquest for the night!
Either that or he had 10 beers in the course of the last 10 hours.

Believe me, the nurses aren't impressed by the heavy drinkers.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 08-08-2012 at 04:58 AM.