Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying while intoxicated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well I don't drink unless I am at home. And then maybe 1 beer. But I agree 1000000000000% if you have one drop put your weapon away!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6750 Times on 4078 Posts
Likes Given: 8059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub View Post
In my state the law states that as long as you are under.08 you can operate a car. What is wrong with having a few beers and driving home as long as your are lawful abiding? I'm sure I can have 2 beers and operate a car better than most people can sober. That being said I carry no firearm if I have any amount of alcohol.
I work in a hospital. You would be surprised how many people swear they only had "2 beers" and have an alcohol level 3 times the legal limit. I believe it is too hard to judge what one's blood alcohol level is.

I'm glad you act responsibly.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:59 AM   #13

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

I know someone who conaiatently drinks and drives almost everyday. Hes been doing it for 40 years and has never been caught. Its amazing

Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #14

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurak View Post
I know someone who conaiatently drinks and drives almost everyday. Hes been doing it for 40 years and has never been caught. Its amazing
Lots of murderers, robbers, rapists and drug dealers haven't been caught yet. Still doesn't make it right.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1278 Times on 668 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change

I work in a hospital. You would be surprised how many people swear they only had "2 beers" and have an alcohol level 3 times the legal limit. I believe it is too hard to judge what one's blood alcohol level is.

I'm glad you act responsibly.
I was pulled over for a tail light being out one night coming home from dinner. When the officer ask me if I had anything to drink, I told him I had one mixed drink with dinner. He didn't even look up from writing the ticket. He finished the ticket and told me to drive safe. I was floored! I told him I had been drinking and he did nothing (this was before I CCed)!! So I stopped him and said, "Not that I'm complaining, but why didn't you test me for alcohol?"

He says, "You told me you only had one drink, and I believe you."

Still incredulous, I asked, "But why? You don't know me from Adam!".

"Because you told me you had one drink. Everyone that lies to me says the exact same thing - 'I had two beers.' "

So to law enforcement, "two beers" is synonymous with a lie! It's completely different to claim only two beers and actually limit one's self to that. DMV charts show a man over 210 lbs can drink 4 drinks an hour (drink = 1.5 oz hard alcohol, 8 oz wine or 12 oz beer) and not be impaired.

The problem is actually two-fold: first, get anyone that drinks to understand a 40 oz bottle is NOT one drink! Second, get them to stop lying! You're not fooling the cops, and it can actually endanger your life with some medications when you lie to medical personnel. Keep the "two beers" answer for someone that might believe you, like your wife or drinking buddies! :-P B)

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 08-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #16

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I was pulled over for a tail light being out one night coming home from dinner. When the officer ask me if I had anything to drink, I told him I had one mixed drink with dinner. He didn't even look up from writing the ticket. He finished the ticket and told me to drive safe. I was floored! I told him I had been drinking and he did nothing (this was before I CCed)!! So I stopped him and said, "Not that I'm complaining, but why didn't you test me for alcohol?"

He says, "You told me you only had one drink, and I believe you."

Still incredulous, I asked, "But why? You don't know me from Adam!".

"Because you told me you had one drink. Everyone that lies to me says the exact same thing - 'I had two beers.' "

So to law enforcement, "two beers" is synonymous with a lie! It's completely different to claim only two beers and actually limit one's self to that. DMV charts show a man over 210 lbs can drink 4 drinks an hour (drink = 1.5 oz hard alcohol, 8 oz wine or 12 oz beer) and not be impaired.

The problem is actually two-fold: first, get anyone that drinks to understand a 40 oz bottle is NOT one drink! Second, get them to stop lying! You're not fooling the cops, and it can actually endanger your life with some medications when you lie to medical personnel. Keep the "two beers" answer for someone that might believe you, like your wife or drinking buddies! :-P B)
What most people don't realize though is that LEOs can arrest you for a DUI even if you are under .08. Back when they had DUI and DWI that's when the .08 mattered but now if you blow a .02 you are still driving under the influence.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #17

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

What most people don't realize though is that LEOs can arrest you for a DUI even if you are under .08. Back when they had DUI and DWI that's when the .08 mattered but now if you blow a .02 you are still driving under the influence.
Long story short- I got pulled over years ago for a b.s. reason, blew under, and was charged. I fought it in court and got out of it, but cost me $$$.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Long story short- I got pulled over years ago for a b.s. reason, blew under, and was charged. I fought it in court and got out of it, but cost me $$$.
Sorry to hear that. I'm screwed if they were to take me in. I take oxy and morphine everyday but I have to go to work to pay the bills.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:

Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM   #19

Liked 2350 Times on 1528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado113

Sorry to hear that. I'm screwed if they were to take me in. I take oxy and morphine everyday but I have to go to work to pay the bills.
Why would you be screwed? If you have a prescription you should be ok, unless you appear to be drunk.

Feral cat waterboarder

Old 08-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Why would you be screwed? If you have a prescription you should be ok, unless you appear to be drunk.
Even under prescriptions you can be arrested for a DUI

Member: