Carrying while intoxicated - Page 13
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying while intoxicated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #121
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM-LEO View Post
If you can't refrain from drinking and driving or drinking and carrying, you font deserve to have either of those licenses.
IMO, carry shouldn't require a license or be viewed as a priviledge; it is simply a right that is currently being restricted by an overgrown government.
As for driving licenses, well i suppose the king's roads must be maintained by some form of tax or other.

Quote:
Legally impaired is impaired. You can be impaired SLIGHTLY or HEAVILY; either way you could kill someone.

Studies have shown that a very large amount of crashes/deaths/severe injuries involving DUI/DWI were, in fact, less than .08 BrAC or BAC.

Smoking one joint can impair you to the effect of up to 12 beers.
So, is 1 MPH over the speed limit as serious and citation-worthy as 20 MPH? That doesn't make a bit of sense to me. It smacks of a "zero tolerance policy"; those don't seem to work out very well as anything but an excuse for someone not to make a decision or take responsibility for a sanction, much like some of the zero tolerance-type policies used by some school systems. I think my favorite was the one that disallowed sunscreen for students that was in the news last month (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8489009/school-sunscreen-ban-leads-to-severe-burns ) or the one about the little girl being expelled for sharing her inhaler with a collapsing friend.

With all due respect, i would like to see a reasonably scientific & non-biased (not funded by MADD or the DEA) study to back up these claims.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #122

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

I must admit I smoke weed occasionally sometimes after a long hard day at work iI get home from work and will put my fire arm up and smoke a joint once a month or so it really relaxes me and helps me to see life from a different point of view and I believe it makes me a better person but that's just me and I also have seen and Personally believe that alcohol destroys more lives and family's than marijuana it causes more fatalities and more over doses. everything in moderation but if your gonna do something in excess I'd rather be around a pothead that a drunk any day and as for as how intoxicated I get it's hard to say since the high on weed is so much different than the drunk on alcohol but it deff doesn't make me wanna grab my gun and go to the range. Don't get me wrong I drink my fair share of alcohol to and also put my gun up the same way just wanted to throw that out there

Old 08-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #123
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1316 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Beer Theories...

Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, "It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."

Babe Ruth
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Lyndon B. Johnson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Paul Horning
~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."

H. L. Mencken
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk, we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all get drunk and go to heaven!"

George Bernard Shaw
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."

Dave Barry

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.!

W. C. Fields

Remember "I" before "E," except in Budweiser.

Professor Irwin Corey

To some it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group Salvation in a can!

Leo Durocher
~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One night at Cheers, Cliff Clavin explained the" Buffalo Theory"to his buddy Norm:

"Well, ya see, Norm, it's like this.. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members! ; In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine! That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
People Like This 
Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 AM   #124

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Dam no wonder I feel so damn smart all the time! Lol

Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #125

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts

Carrying while intoxicated is at the top of the list of stupid things to do when carrying.....in my opinion
dog2000tj Likes This 
Old 08-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #126

Liked 183 Times on 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade
Dam no wonder I feel so damn smart all the time! Lol
Ya same here didn't know it worked like that

Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #127

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
IMO, carry shouldn't require a license or be viewed as a priviledge; it is simply a right that is currently being restricted by an overgrown government.
As for driving licenses, well i suppose the king's roads must be maintained by some form of tax or other.

So, is 1 MPH over the speed limit as serious and citation-worthy as 20 MPH? That doesn't make a bit of sense to me. It smacks of a "zero tolerance policy"; those don't seem to work out very well as anything but an excuse for someone not to make a decision or take responsibility for a sanction, much like some of the zero tolerance-type policies used by some school systems. I think my favorite was the one that disallowed sunscreen for students that was in the news last month (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8489009/school-sunscreen-ban-leads-to-severe-burns ) or the one about the little girl being expelled for sharing her inhaler with a collapsing friend.

With all due respect, i would like to see a reasonably scientific & non-biased (not funded by MADD or the DEA) study to back up these claims.
Hey pal... I didn't say that I COMLETELY agree with every law that I enforce... I don't.....

Then again, I don't see violations of ANY law in 50 shades of grey... It is, and always has been, black and white. If you are negligently speeding by ONE mile per hour or TWENTY miles per hour, you are speeding. Does that mean that I will give a ticket for ONE over? No, probably not. That would depend on driver attitude, respect (or lack of), etc etc etc.

FYI... The facts that I presented in my post came from the New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, and Oklahoma Departments of Safety, not MADD or any of it's derivative organizations. (Those folks or completely bias and overbearing IMHO).

Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #128
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1316 Times on 781 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Hey pal... I didn't say that I COMLETELY agree with every law that I enforce... I don't.....

Then again, I don't see violations of ANY law in 50 shades of grey... It is, and always has been, black and white.
That's fine, as long as the law is clear. In MI, we have screwy firearm laws. LEO, CPL instructors, and even some attorney's can't get it right. If they are that screwy, how can anybody expect to truly understand what's black and what's white. That, and I've seen LEO's make up their own version of the laws.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #129
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:

Then again, I don't see violations of ANY law in 50 shades of grey... It is, and always has been, black and white. If you are negligently speeding by ONE mile per hour or TWENTY miles per hour, you are speeding. Does that mean that I will give a ticket for ONE over? No, probably not. That would depend on driver attitude, respect (or lack of), etc etc etc.

FYI... The facts that I presented in my post came from the New Mexico, Texas, Arizona, and Oklahoma Departments of Safety, not MADD or any of it's derivative organizations. (Those folks or completely bias and overbearing IMHO).
By enforcing these laws, you are agreeing with them at least to the point of complicity.

So, there are exceptions for speeding but not DWI, and those exceptions are based on at least some aspect of the driver's condition. At least the officer is taking responsibility by exercising some discretion; i think that is generally a very good thing.

Regarding the Department of Safety's "facts": Do you have a link to such facts? Saying "jerry said so" isn't a citation. You should be more familiar than most of us with the relevant websites, since you have been there to read the statistics; post up a link. These are the two statements i am curious
Quote:
about Studies have shown that a very large amount of crashes/deaths/severe injuries involving DUI/DWI were, in fact, less than .08 BrAC or BAC.
...Smoking one joint can impair you to the effect of up to 12 beers.
. One of the main reasons i am curious is the impact of the size and habits of the individual tested.

The BAC is BS, IMO, performance ability or lack thereof is a better test of driver fitness. Of course BAC is easier to prove and apply than performance standards like walking a straigh line and such.

Last edited by orangello; 08-13-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 PM   #130

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Drunks have no right to self defense.