carrying while driving - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carrying while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

What 'threat' does the money in you wallet, a rash on your azz have to the officer??
What threat does a gun on my person pose to an LEO? It's not going to jump out of its holster and attack him.

I have lots of respect for the job LEOs perform but as a law abiding citizen I feel that disclosing my CCW when not required to by law does NOTHING to enhance the LEO's safety while potentially causing problems for both of us (just search the forum for stories of people being hassled by the LEO for legally carrying, being swept with their own weapon when the LEO attempts to disarm them, LEOs endangering themselves and bystanders while trying to clear guns they are unfamiliar with and even pulling their weapon on a driver when they informed the LEO they are legally armed).

Old 12-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #82
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
What threat does a gun on my person pose to an LEO? It's not going to jump out of its holster and attack him.

I have lots of respect for the job LEOs perform but as a law abiding citizen I feel that disclosing my CCW when not required to by law does NOTHING to enhance the LEO's safety while potentially causing problems for both of us.
What you feel doesn't matter to the LEO. Getting home to his/her loved ones does. As far as being a law abiding citizen, what are you doing sitting along side the road with a cop walking up to your car?

As far as respect goes, would it hurt you to show some and try to put his mind at ease? Letting them know that your record is clean enough to earn that CCW permit is instant credibility to most of them.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #83
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1021

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post

I have lots of respect for the job LEOs perform but as a law abiding citizen I feel that disclosing my CCW when not required to by law does NOTHING to enhance the LEO's safety while potentially causing problems for both of us (just search the forum for stories of people being hassled by the LEO for legally carrying, being swept with their own weapon when the LEO attempts to disarm them, LEOs endangering themselves and bystanders while trying to clear guns they are unfamiliar with and even pulling their weapon on a driver when they informed the LEO they are legally armed).
You can't tell the players without a program!
Like I said, do as you please, it's you who will suffer the consequence of your actions.
My advise was from both a LEO and civilian view point.
If you feel your ways are the best, you obviously must have more experience in this area than I, so be it!!!
Have a nice day, stay safe!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #84

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben

For every one incident like that you have thousands that go by the book. Most cops aren't gonna draw on a calm collected motorist just because you state you have a firearm. Now reaching for it is another story.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 12-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #85

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'll always follow the law if disclosure is required. Likewise ill not lie to an LEO if he asks whether I'm armed. On the other hand if he doesn't ask I see no reason to introduce an unnecessary additional element into my interactions with said LEO. Probably he'll be professional and just pass it off, but I chose to avoid the small chance that he won't.

In the last ten years I've been stopped a total of once (for not watching my speed on a deserted stretch of road). In my whole life on my infrequent encounters with the law (a handful of traffic stops in the last 40 years) I've never been asked if I was armed and never been searched. If I had been armed it would never have come up and neither the LEO nor myself were in any danger from a concealed weapon.

I understand the reasoning of those of you who chose to disclose voluntarily. I just don't agree with the necessity.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #86

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

While out with my over the road rig last week, I had a breakdown, unhooked and needed to pick up something at a hardware store so I stopped at a Deputy sheriff to ask him for the location of a hardware store. As I approached him, I told him I'm carrying. He simply shrugged and said OK. Later while waiting on the freeway for a tow truck a State Patrolman pulled up. I got out and approached his car. I explained my predicament and, oh, by the way, I'm armed. He, too shrugged it off.
Ohio law REQUIRES you to inform during any OFFICIAL stop. I considered both of my encounters to be official.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #87

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGrrr View Post
While out with my over the road rig last week, I had a breakdown, unhooked and needed to pick up something at a hardware store so I stopped at a Deputy sheriff to ask him for the location of a hardware store. As I approached him, I told him I'm carrying. He simply shrugged and said OK. Later while waiting on the freeway for a tow truck a State Patrolman pulled up. I got out and approached his car. I explained my predicament and, oh, by the way, I'm armed. He, too shrugged it off.
Ohio law REQUIRES you to inform during any OFFICIAL stop. I considered both of my encounters to be official.
I really don't see where anyone here said to break any laws

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET