carrying while driving - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carrying while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I give the leo my ccw permit when I hand over my license and insurance. They'll usually see a third card and ask what it is, I tell them its a conceal carry permit. They then ask where the weapon is located, I tell them. They then usually let me keep it on me or one time he asked me to hand it to him and he set it on the roof of my truck. When that happened I handed it to him in the holster and told him to be careful because there is one in the chamber. Most of the time I have found that if you're carrying legally, tell the officer you have a gun on you and be honest and respectful he doesn't even worry about it. I do have my cc permit from a different state so local cops don't know I have it when they run my tags or license. I tell them anyway because unless you get some young hotheaded cop who thinks he's better than you because he has a badge they treat you with the same respect you give them. In turn I give them the same amount of respect they give me.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #42

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

All gud points & everyone has a reason for how they handle or wud handle the situation-
Personaly if i'm pulled over i'll give the LEO EXACTLY what he asks for-
No more no less--........period

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Pasquanel Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #43
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 769 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 225

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
All gud points & everyone has a reason for how they handle or wud handle the situation-
Thanks! I thought I was alone.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 12-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #44
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 852 Times on 384 Posts
Likes Given: 383

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
I think many people assume that because LEOs carry a weapon as part of their job that they are automatically pro gun or "gun" people" but in my personal experience not so much. You stand at least a good a chance of encountering an officer who might be a bit paranoid or nervous why take the chance? Be courteous give him exactly what he asked for and be on your way. I CC always and never leave a firearm on the seat or console IMO its don't ask don't tell. I have never been searched or even asked to get out of the vehicle so why would there be a problem?

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #45

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
Unless I have a child in the vehicle I just take my weapon out of the holster and lay it on the seat right beside me. If I get pulled over I put the gun on the dash once I stop the car.

I don't like looking at the business end of a loaded firearm. Especially with some jumpy police officer holding it. You don't know what has happened to that officer that was never reported that might cause him to pull the trigger a little quicker. It's better to defuse the situation in the best way you can.

Another thing that happens that really didn't come to my mind, especially in rural areas. The officer follows you. He is trying to run your tag and find out who you are. The system is delayed or he is getting a poor signal. The officer is approaching you blind.

I was standing in front of the sheriffs office. A deputy was trying to pull up information. I finished a cigarette and was ready to settle in for a nap before the information came up. If that happens in the parking lot at the sheriffs department, you know the system is dead quite often out in the field.
In ohio We're not allowed to have a gun out in the open, not laying on the seat and will definitely loose our CCW if we were to put it on the dash. my husbands CCW instructor told a story of one of his ex-students did this and got his CCW revoked.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsluvguns2 View Post
In ohio We're not allowed to have a gun out in the open, not laying on the seat and will definitely loose our CCW if we were to put it on the dash. my husbands CCW instructor told a story of one of his ex-students did this and got his CCW revoked.
Thought about the on the dash thing too-
IMHO thats the last place a gun shud be-

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-10-2012, 02:26 PM   #47
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 1077 Posts
Likes Given: 544

I need to invest in a car holster. The biggest reason I lay the gun on the seat is I can't draw the weapon from a holster. It's real hard to prevent a car jacking when you can't get your gun until you are out of the vehicle. Before I got my concealed carry permit I rode around with a 30/30 on the dash. I hated that rifle until I saw how well it rode on the dash.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #48

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
I need to invest in a car holster. The biggest reason I lay the gun on the seat is I can't draw the weapon from a holster. It's real hard to prevent a car jacking when you can't get your gun until you are out of the vehicle. Before I got my concealed carry permit I rode around with a 30/30 on the dash. I hated that rifle until I saw how well it rode on the dash.
Who can hate a good ol' 30-30????

Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
Who can hate a good ol' 30-30????
Gud question

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1958 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 928

I keep hearing all of these comments about this state and that state, well do as I have advised and you are covered in ALL the states!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!