carrying while driving - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carrying while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

I always give the officer my LTC when I give him my drivers license. Even if I'm not driving and we git pulled over. I still show them my LTC. Even if the law dose not require you to do so. If you don't and he some how finds your gun on his own depending on the situation you might get a gun in your face. I'd rather not have a loaded gun in my face.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #22
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2374 Times on 1282 Posts
Likes Given: 680

This thread is about whether or not to inform the officer if you are pulled over and carrying but it is titled "carrying while driving" so I will diverge. Most people carrying while driving do not pay attention to access while driving. If a situation arises where you need your firearm, it can be tough to draw from most concealed positions. Any slight delay could be critical in a car jack or other situation. This is especially true in modern cars with their seats and seat belts. Trying to access from the 4 0'clock position is difficult and pocket carry can be worse. Cross draw or shoulder carry work. A secured car holster is better or a second accessible firearm are other options. Find a way to make your firearm accessible while driving. The life you save will most likely be your own.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 610 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
SigArmoerd
Did the law change or was I mistaken about FL? Any LEO's here have an opinion about declaring even when not required?
FL does not require you to show your permit, unless asked. LEO's are not stupid. If they want to know anything they will ask you. They are aware of CCW.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 12-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2142 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 796

Unless I have a child in the vehicle I just take my weapon out of the holster and lay it on the seat right beside me. If I get pulled over I put the gun on the dash once I stop the car.

I don't like looking at the business end of a loaded firearm. Especially with some jumpy police officer holding it. You don't know what has happened to that officer that was never reported that might cause him to pull the trigger a little quicker. It's better to defuse the situation in the best way you can.

Another thing that happens that really didn't come to my mind, especially in rural areas. The officer follows you. He is trying to run your tag and find out who you are. The system is delayed or he is getting a poor signal. The officer is approaching you blind.

I was standing in front of the sheriffs office. A deputy was trying to pull up information. I finished a cigarette and was ready to settle in for a nap before the information came up. If that happens in the parking lot at the sheriffs department, you know the system is dead quite often out in the field.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-07-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #25

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
SigArmoerd
Did the law change or was I mistaken about FL? Any LEO's here have an opinion about declaring even when not required?
It's written into the law I can't quote off the top of my head but I've read over it a few times.

Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #26

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Helpful site...click on your state and read away. My state is a must inform state and my CCW comes up to the officer when he/she runs my tags so if I fail to inform I can be in a spot of trouble...Theres's one thing that can guarantee you will never have any problems whatsoever....

don't get pulled over!!

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Thanks for the link. I just found out some useful information about my state
Old 12-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #27

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock View Post
Thanks for the link. I just found out some useful information about my state
use with cauction, laws change every day. verify anything that you are unsure of

Old 12-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2072 Times on 1225 Posts
Likes Given: 1007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisms View Post
i'm pretty new to cc and i have never been pulled over by an officer while carrying. i just want to get your opinions if it's okay to have your ccw on your person when the officer walks up to your car with my hands resting on the steering wheel of course and a show of courtesy by letting the officer i am carrying a legal firearm. any input if this is ok?

Take it from a retired LEO with 30+ years of experience and use some common sense!
1. DO NOT start 'messing around' after the lights come on. In other words do not try and place you PPD in the glove box or remove it from your person. This activity is considered to be VERY suspicious to the officer!!!
2. Keep your hands (both hands) on the wheel and simply tell the officer you are legally carrying a fire arm. Your exact words are up to you, but what I say is "I am a retired police officer and I am armed". It doesn't matter if this is a 'legal' requirement or not, it is just common sense!!!
3. Follow the officers instructions and cooperate completely.
4. If the officer/s acts inappropriately do not escalate the situation. If you have a 'problem' with the officer do not try and settle it there, make a complaint to his agency/supervisor and/or (if your right were violated) contact an attorney.
Hope this helped,
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 12-07-2012 at 04:36 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for all your inputs folks. lots of good stuff to learn here. my main concern is really knowing if having your firearm on your person a good idea when an LEO pulls you over. i'm contemplating if i should encase it in my dash to avoid any potential complication or if it's just fine with it being iwb. thanks again for your inputs.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #30

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
This thread is about whether or not to inform the officer if you are pulled over and carrying but it is titled "carrying while driving" so I will diverge. Most people carrying while driving do not pay attention to access while driving. If a situation arises where you need your firearm, it can be tough to draw from most concealed positions. Any slight delay could be critical in a car jack or other situation. This is especially true in modern cars with their seats and seat belts. Trying to access from the 4 0'clock position is difficult and pocket carry can be worse. Cross draw or shoulder carry work. A secured car holster is better or a second accessible firearm are other options. Find a way to make your firearm accessible while driving. The life you save will most likely be your own.
I have actually mounted a retention holster on the side of my middle console. It allows ease of access when im driving and a little bit of concealment so someone pulling up beside me cant see it by looking in my windows.