carrying while driving
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carrying while driving

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default carrying while driving

i'm pretty new to cc and i have never been pulled over by an officer while carrying. i just want to get your opinions if it's okay to have your ccw on your person when the officer walks up to your car with my hands resting on the steering wheel of course and a show of courtesy by letting the officer i am carrying a legal firearm. any input if this is ok?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #2

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I hand my lcf to the cop with my drivers license. Here in pa we do not have to inform the officer but I do out of respect.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 747 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Get yourself the "Traveler's Guide to the Firarm Laws of the Fifty States" from the NRA store. It's very informative. Read the How too, first.
Many states do not require you to inform the LEO, but some do by law. I do not give any information to a LEO that is not required. I have considerable respect for them, but, in the end they are the friend of a prosecutor, not yours.
Whatever you are asked, tell the truth and follow Leo's instructions, and be courteous.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

bluez Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I live in Georgia and here we don't have to to inform the officer of anything. But my theory is i would rather be upfront about it than to surprise the officer. Always say you have a permit first, don't just blurt out " i have a gun". I always say "sir i would just like to let you that i do have a valid weapons carry permit and there is a firearm on my person."

Old 12-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks for the input. that helps me a lot in my decision of whether i would keep it secured on me or encased in my vehicle's compartment. my preference is really to have my ccw on me.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #6

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumman View Post
I hand my lcf to the cop with my drivers license. Here in pa we do not have to inform the officer but I do out of respect.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1520 Times on 1029 Posts
Likes Given: 532

There must be some lame permit instructors running around out there. When you took your training class it should have been clearly explained what to do in your state when you are pulled over by law enforcement.

I live in NC. Here we are required to inform the officer that pulls you over that you have a weapon. We are instructed to have both hands on the steering wheel and wait for instructions from the officer. It seems like a bit much since the officer knows you have a permit if he runs your tag before pulling you over.

Regardless, it's up to you to know the laws in your state. You should know what to do when you encounter law enforcement before you are issued a permit. In NC we are required to follow the same protocol if we have a weapon in the vehicle or not. Once the officer knows you have a concealed permit he is going to assume you have a weapon, until he is sure that you are unarmed or he has finished his business with you.

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-06-2012 at 08:08 PM.
25-5 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #8

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I don't tell them. I just hand them my CC permit and drivers license and when they ask if I am armed, I tell them yes. I then follow all instructions as to how the officer wants to proceed.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8734 Times on 3776 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

I am not required to inform the officer by law HERE- and running my tags will get you the name of the leasing company if driving my company ride.

However, I do NOT need to spike the nice young police officer's blood pressure, or scare him out of a month's growth by surprising him. Professional courtesy.

"Evening, officer. Concealed carry permit holder. " *Hands OL and CCW to officer*

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Coyotenator Likes This 
Old 12-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #10

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

We do not have to have a concealed carry permit. Any resident can carry a concealed weapon and does not have to inform the officer of the handgun. I was stopped for speeding and I did inform the LEO. He said, Ok I will make you a deal you don't draw on me and I won't draw on you and laughed. But he wrote me a $75 dollar speeding ticket.