Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   carrying while driving (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/carrying-while-driving-77887/)

Krisms 12-06-2012 05:42 PM

carrying while driving

i'm pretty new to cc and i have never been pulled over by an officer while carrying. i just want to get your opinions if it's okay to have your ccw on your person when the officer walks up to your car with my hands resting on the steering wheel of course and a show of courtesy by letting the officer i am carrying a legal firearm. any input if this is ok?

magnumman 12-06-2012 05:46 PM

I hand my lcf to the cop with my drivers license. Here in pa we do not have to inform the officer but I do out of respect.

25-5 12-06-2012 06:42 PM

Get yourself the "Traveler's Guide to the Firarm Laws of the Fifty States" from the NRA store. It's very informative. Read the How too, first.
Many states do not require you to inform the LEO, but some do by law. I do not give any information to a LEO that is not required. I have considerable respect for them, but, in the end they are the friend of a prosecutor, not yours.
Whatever you are asked, tell the truth and follow Leo's instructions, and be courteous.

brandinm380 12-06-2012 07:04 PM

I live in Georgia and here we don't have to to inform the officer of anything. But my theory is i would rather be upfront about it than to surprise the officer. Always say you have a permit first, don't just blurt out " i have a gun". I always say "sir i would just like to let you that i do have a valid weapons carry permit and there is a firearm on my person."

Krisms 12-06-2012 07:42 PM

thanks for the input. that helps me a lot in my decision of whether i would keep it secured on me or encased in my vehicle's compartment. my preference is really to have my ccw on me.

canebrake 12-06-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magnumman (Post 1041651)
I hand my lcf to the cop with my drivers license. Here in pa we do not have to inform the officer but I do out of respect.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8ed7aa3f.gif

John_Deer 12-06-2012 07:58 PM

There must be some lame permit instructors running around out there. When you took your training class it should have been clearly explained what to do in your state when you are pulled over by law enforcement.

I live in NC. Here we are required to inform the officer that pulls you over that you have a weapon. We are instructed to have both hands on the steering wheel and wait for instructions from the officer. It seems like a bit much since the officer knows you have a permit if he runs your tag before pulling you over.

Regardless, it's up to you to know the laws in your state. You should know what to do when you encounter law enforcement before you are issued a permit. In NC we are required to follow the same protocol if we have a weapon in the vehicle or not. Once the officer knows you have a concealed permit he is going to assume you have a weapon, until he is sure that you are unarmed or he has finished his business with you.

rhyno13 12-06-2012 08:11 PM

I don't tell them. I just hand them my CC permit and drivers license and when they ask if I am armed, I tell them yes. I then follow all instructions as to how the officer wants to proceed.

c3shooter 12-06-2012 10:25 PM

I am not required to inform the officer by law HERE- and running my tags will get you the name of the leasing company if driving my company ride.

However, I do NOT need to spike the nice young police officer's blood pressure, or scare him out of a month's growth by surprising him. Professional courtesy.

"Evening, officer. Concealed carry permit holder. " *Hands OL and CCW to officer*

nitestalker 12-06-2012 10:41 PM

We do not have to have a concealed carry permit. Any resident can carry a concealed weapon and does not have to inform the officer of the handgun. I was stopped for speeding and I did inform the LEO. He said, Ok I will make you a deal you don't draw on me and I won't draw on you and laughed. But he wrote me a $75 dollar speeding ticket.:(