Carrying as a passenger - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying as a passenger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

One needs to know the laws of his state and the ones traveled in. NC requires that firearms be in open site(unless CC-then you must notify) during a traffic stop--SC requires they be in a compartment and not readily accessible. I open carry most of the time to avoid having to say anything.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:22 PM   #12

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

If I'm riding in someone else's vehicle I tell them I've got or plan to carry it. The only time I ride anymore is sometimes (rarely) my wife drives or if we carpool somewhere with my parents. My dad also has his permit so its not an issue there.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 10-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #13

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I asked a sheriffs deputy this AM at the Waffle House. He said "anywhere you are best to notify the officer. If you are out of state your odds of being searched in a traffic stop are much higher. He has let people keep their illegally concealed weapons if they notified him but he has never let anyone keep their pistol that tried to hide it" That is just one officers opinion. In NC most decisions regarding handguns are up to the officers discretion.

We all pass through states where our permits are not recognized. Sometimes we all get lazy and fail to secure our weapons. Unless you are in a communist state it's best to notify the officer. To be honest it's a hell of alot cheaper to lose a $500 pistol than to face any sort of firearms charge.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #14

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The smart and courteous thing to is notify the officer. He is already under enough stress that adding to the situation by surprising him is not going to help anything. If you are honestly so paranoid a officer is gonna infringe on your right to carry that you don't want to inform him that you have a concealed handgun on your person, record the conversation with your cell phone and file a IA complaint. No offense to anyone but I personally find it very pig headed not to tell someone who risk their life everyday that I/You are carrying a side arm.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #15

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron0022
If you are honestly so paranoid a officer is gonna infringe on your right to carry that you don't want to inform him that you have a concealed handgun on your person, record the conversation with your cell phone and file a IA complaint.
The problem with that it is many departments policy is to disarm legal CCW carriers and to even unload their guns before retuning them at the end of the stop. Such actions are not only insulting but pointless and an IA complaint will accomplish nothing if the officer was just following written policy, no matter how pointless and ill conceived it may be.

Quote:
No offense to anyone but I personally find it very pig headed not to tell someone who risk their life everyday that I/You are carrying a side arm.
Why? An LEO is in no danger from me, armed or not. How does disarming me and treating me like a suspected criminal making him any safer?

I'm always courteous to any LEO I happen to have contact with (not that it happens often) and if he asks if I'm armed I certainly won't lie about it but if I'm not legally required to notify I'm not going to volunteer the info.

Last edited by mdauben; 11-10-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #16

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben
The problem with that it is many departments policy is to disarm legal CCW carriers and to even unload their guns before retuning them at the end of the stop. Such actions are not only insulting but pointless and an IA complaint will accomplish nothing if the officer was just following written policy, no matter how pointless and ill conceived it may be.

Why? An LEO is in no danger from me, armed or not. How does disarming me and treating me like a suspected criminal making him any safer?

I'm always courteous to any LEO I happen to have contact with (not that it happens often) and if he asks if I'm armed I certainly won't lie about it but if I'm not legally required to notify I'm not going to volunteer the info.
I personally wouldn't be offended if he wanted to empty my weapon and secure it while he was on scene or leaving. I'm not trying to pick a fuss here I just don't see how it can be that bad, the NRA , will defend you if a PD is harassing you though.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:29 AM   #17

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Not sure if it's state dependent but I don't have to notify anyone that I'm carrying a gun. I won't tell a cop if I'm pulled over, driving or not. It's only his business or concern if I'm being placed under arrest. Some say its common courtesy, I say it over complicates something that wasn't an issue in the first place. Write my ticket, shut your mouth, and lets both go back to our sh1t excuses for jobs.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #18

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So many question are based on state law and knowing the law answered the question. Most states don't require notification but some do, and then only under certain situations. Remember the video of an incident in Ohio about a year ago?

In Texas you have to notify if a cop asks for your ID. Otherwise you do not. You also don't need to if you are not carrying. To do so is a personal choice.

I usually will but depending on the situation may not. For instance my daughter had a flat a while back. She was having trouble getting it changed. Since she was just a few miles away I went to help out. A couple of cops had stopped to help. We got the tire changed. I didn't show my carry license since there seemed little need. They asked no one for IDs so everything was legal.