Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying as a passenger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Carrying as a passenger

I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything on the law about carrying a handgun on you if you are the passenger of a vehicle and you have a weapons permit. Do you still have to notify an officer and show him your license if you are not driving?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-27-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Relax, y'all. It's not my blood. ~Me, Fallujah, 2005

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I would treat this as anything else. If I walk by a cop on the street, I wouldn't notify. Same as if I'm a passenger.

I would tell the driver. And I would leave it to him to notify a cop if they get pulled over.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
Proud to be an American

Liked 554 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 287

I don't know about where you guys are from but here I don't have to notify anyone about anything including the driver or the cop.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #4

I wouldn't tell the driver because I had to.

I would tell them because it's the courteous thing to do and because they may have a record I don't know about and they could henceforth "tell me now" that, "hey bro, I got busted on a domestic charge 35 years ago, I don't need a gun around."

Also, if he gets pulled over, and he's asked "do you have any weapons in the car?" if he's being asked to exit, This may just happen to be a tidbit of information he may appreciate knowing. Because if they ask, the cops are not going to appreciate that information being withheld. I suppose you could just wait and speak up at this point, but again, that's a courtesy to your driver in my opinion. My step Dad tells me everytime. I already know, if he's awake, he's strapped. But he still tells me, if we get in a car together, "hey, by the way, I'm packin".

Old 10-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #5

Liked 500 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 106

state law trumps... talk to a local 2A attorney. But, if you're required to notify if you're a driver, you're likely to have to notify as a passenger.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I would treat this as anything else. If I walk by a cop on the street, I wouldn't notify. Same as if I'm a passenger.

I would tell the driver. And I would leave it to him to notify a cop if they get pulled over.
I agree not saying anything if passing a cop in street.

But being detained in a traffic stop is different. If you are legally in possession why not notify?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion9

But being detained in a traffic stop is different. If you are legally in possession why not notify?
If I'm a passenger, I'm keeping my mouth shut, because its the driver who's been pulled over and I'm not speaking unless spoken to. I'll have already notified the driver that I'm packing because that's how I operate.

Now, if the driver is asked "do you have any weapons in the car?" And he fails to mention mine, at that point I will speak up. Only because, having been on the other side of the badge, I know damn well that no cop wants to be surprised if he asks the passenger to exit and discovers they're armed.

Also, in some states, its required that you notify law enforcement that your carrying if you're stopped, and to do so immediately. In that circumstance, I'll be reminding the driver of that as the cop is approaching.

In general, the driver got pulled over, not me. Therefore, the driver does the talking, not me, not unless I have to in order to avoid a possible really bad situation.

Let me make it clear, I'm not going to hide it. But I'm also not going to give the appearance of interfering. I would prefer the driver to be the one to say, "hey, my passenger is armed", while I sit there quietly, unobtrusively, and with my hands empty and in plain sight.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In Oklahoma it has been the law that you must immediately notify an officer when engaged in official business... I.E. him pulling over the vehicle you are in. I for one feel that the fewer people know that I'm carrying the better. Only my wife and closest friends will know when I'm carrying (which is all the time, lol! ).

Old 10-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #9

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I don't know the exact wording but here in NC you are required to notify the officer anytime you are stopped. Driving, walking or on a horse, so I would imagine as a passenger you are required to notify. Driving, walking or on a horse were the exact words of the instructor.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
I don't know about where you guys are from but here I don't have to notify anyone about anything including the driver or the cop.
Ditto! As in the state of Florida.