carrying to other states by plane. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carrying to other states by plane.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Here's a detailed account of one getting to the airport and declaring an unloaded firearm.

http://www.thegunzone.com/flying.html

Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 AM   #12

Liked 712 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbwar15 View Post
First off. You can not have a gun on a plane. 2nd most states do recognize permits from other states. All you got to do is find out if the state you are traveling to recognizes the permit from
The state you are from. Then you must follow there gun laws not the laws of the state your permit is from. For example I have an Alabama Ltc which is not an open carry state. I was in Mississippi 2 weeks ago. They are a open carry state so I was allowed to open carry the whole time I was there. And I had to follow Mississippi gun laws.
I was under the impression that you can only open carry if you are a resident of said state.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 07-11-2012, 03:49 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 294 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 875

When I flew to Texas from Oregon, I had to declare that I was transporting a firearm and go through a special line where homeland security checked that the pistol was unloaded and in a locked container. the ammo had to be in it's original box as well. No one asked about a carry permit on either end. Maybe carried in luggage isn't considered concealed carry?

Old 07-11-2012, 03:52 AM   #14

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik1988

I was under the impression that you can only open carry if you are a resident of said state.
OC in Mississippi is illegal without a concealed carry permit regardless of residency.

Which means I need to rephrase my earlier statement, lbwar was only breaking the law by OC'ing if he had NO carry permit. WITH a concealed carry permit, it's perfectly legal. As far as reciprocity goes.... I'm not very well versed, but I believe MS reciprocates with all of it's neighboring states, but of course you have to follow MS laws while in MS, as lbwar pointed out.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #15

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I fly often with a handgun locked in a Secure It gun safe within my suitcase and up to 10lbs of ammo and never a problem. Never been thru any special TSA gun line, just filled out a form at time of check in and baggage check. Going to Az. On the 17th by Southwest and will have a handgun and ammo. I always call the airline to see if any airline or TSA policy has changed when checking in with a gun.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:07 AM   #16

Liked 109 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I have traveled by air (a LOT!) with a handgun- but unless you are a Federally accredited Law Enforcement Officer, you will not be carrying it one the plane.

As the folks above me have said, check to see if your destination has reciprocity with your home state for concealed carry. Also check the TSA website and your airline website for how to transport.

In a nutshell, firearm must be in a locked hard case and UNLOADED. When checking in with the airline, tell nice person at ticket counter "I need to declare an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage." Do NOT simply walk up and say "I have a gun." Airline will have you show gun is unloaded, fill out declaration form, relock case, hand it to TSA, go get on plane. Do not carry ammo aboard. Ammo needs to be boxed, not in magazine.

If traveling into NY, NJ, MD or Illinois, I would not.
this is close, some airports the tsa make you walk with them, and they most likely use an xray or catscan [or whatever] on it, with you in the room, then you part ways as you approach the regular security checkpoint and remove your shoes, get felt up, etc. you must retain your key to the lock at all times, [well except it has to get xrayed while you go through metal detectors]. then when you get to your destination, your sealed checked bag containing the locked case with the pistol will be on the carousel, or in the baggage office for your airline. goto the tsa website for info, call your airline customer service, etc.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #17

Liked 293 Times on 221 Posts

Quote:

I was guilty of not checking Mississippi
State laws before carrying in Mississippi.
I went to the bass pro shop in pearl. I noticed a guy open carrying. Since I will be moving there in a few months I thought I would ask. The guy turned out to be an off duty police officer. I told him I was from Alabama and noticed he was open carrying and that he was off duty. I asked if they OC or if it is just a cop thing. He said as long as you have a permit and there is no notice on the door saying no weapons you can OC. I asked if it was ok to do so with an Alabama permit. He said it sure is, with the high crime rate in Jackson we wish everyone would OC it would make our job easier.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #18

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I recently checked a gun from Portland to Spokane, WA on Southwest. I had a wonderful experience. Just check the policies of your airline, then check he TSA policies. Lastly, I just Googled about checking guns so I could get the scoop on people's experiences and you'll get a lot of stories that will put your mind at ease.

Rather than link to another gun forum, I'll copy and paste my review here:

I recently flew Southwest out of PDX to Spokane GEG. I decided to take my carry gun with me since my OR-CHL is good in Idaho, where we were headed.

I packed my gun, unloaded and action open, in a locked metal case that I usually use as my car safe. I stored 3 empty magazines and a full box of 50 JHP rounds in a separate locked metal case.

I put them in my checked luggage along with my holster and such. When I went to the Southwest counter I said, "I have an unloaded gun to declare." Her eyes lit up, as I had read they might, since this is presumably the most interesting type of event during a shift. She didn't even have me open the cases.

I took the bag over to a special TSA desk at PDX. This woman swabbed my bag for explosives, but never even opened the cases. When she asked about the ammo, I just said, "It is properly stored in the locked case." She was fine with that.

When I arrived at GEG, the bag just came out on the normal belt. It did have a notice inside that the TSA had searched the bag again.

At Spokane when I returned, the process was almost exactly the same. AT GEG, the TSA agent did ask for me to open the locked case with the gun, but other than that, the experience was the same. In Portland, my bag also had a notice that they had searched it.

I was quite pleased with how easy the process was!! On your next trip, consider taking your gun.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 07-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #19

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:

You have to follow the laws of the state you visit, not your home state. If you visit a state that doesnt allow oc, you cant, even if your home state does.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 07-11-2012, 02:11 PM   #20

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
You have to follow the laws of the state you visit, not your home state. If you visit a state that doesnt allow oc, you cant, even if your home state does.
Agree-
Again - Check with the airline you're taking & the state your going to-
Don't concern yourself with websights or "overall" rules

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET