Carrying open and concealed

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying open and concealed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carrying open and concealed

Just taking note, well wouldnt you have to say that there are certain situations where carrying openly is just as good as concealing your piece. Not saying it is good on a daily basis but it has come in handy with me once

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-23-2011, 04:16 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Situationally dependent, but in general, no. When I take my jacket off at the barber's place is one thing, when I am fishing or hunting another (I use a 10 inch .357 for some deer hunting). If I am in a place that I have to make it known that I am carrying prior to an overt threat being made to me, I have to ask what I am doing in that place to begin with. I DO have friends that run a gun shop, and they all open carry for very good reason- but that is THEIR situation.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 11-23-2011, 04:23 AM   #3

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbo123
Just taking note, well wouldnt you have to say that there are certain situations where carrying openly is just as good as concealing your piece. Not saying it is good on a daily basis but it has come in handy with me once
Not trying to bust your stuff man, but we have a couple different threads debating this very topic right now. If I were on the computer instead of my phone I'd link them up for you

Old 11-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #4

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Situationally dependent, but in general, no. When I take my jacket off at the barber's place is one thing, when I am fishing or hunting another (I use a 10 inch .357 for some deer hunting). If I am in a place that I have to make it known that I am carrying prior to an overt threat being made to me, I have to ask what I am doing in that place to begin with. I DO have friends that run a gun shop, and they all open carry for very good reason- but that is THEIR situation.
Same here. I take a look at every situation.

Old 11-24-2011, 03:37 AM   #5

I conceal probably 99% of the time. I dont really want extra attention in public when u open carry. And i like the element of surprise if i needed it

Old 11-24-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

Right now i ccw/oc sorta. My carry gun is a colt new agent in a iwb holster. The grip rides outside the belt outside my shirt but under a light jacket. I dont care if it shows a little if the wind blows or it rides up a little.

Come summer i gotta figure a better ccw method. Best ive come up with so far is a undershirt to keep the gun from rubbing me raw. I dont want to flaunt full oc i just like not having to worry if a sheeple sees my 45 by accident.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-24-2011, 04:55 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

I would only carry openly where it would be expected. OC is legal here in Iowa, but I wouldn't OC here. No one expects it and it would only make people nervous.

If I'm in AZ up on the Mogollon Rim, I'd likely carry open there. In the metro areas would be much less of a problem there than here.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 11-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I conceal probably 99% of the time. I dont really want extra attention in public when u open carry. And i like the element of surprise if i needed it
My thoughts exactly. Why invite unwanted attention?
Certified in napping
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg

Old 11-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I think several people addressed this very well already in this thread:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/open-carry-51761/

Old 11-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #10

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

...and several other threads. Isn't this topic played out yet?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting