carrying with one in the chamber?..unsure - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > carrying with one in the chamber?..unsure

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
I could go all medieval on you as I have (often) to others in the past but.........I won't.

I must first make my obligatory remarks;
[*]"I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I “SAFELY” remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!"[*]Racking a round to battery can be done in a heartbeat..........more than likely, your last heartbeat![*]If you are afraid of the gun you carry, maybe it's best you don't carry!"


OK, learning moment out of the way.

Living in PA I have two suggestions.
For winter/cool months, hands down, the Tommy Theis Concealment Holster.

http://www.theisholsters.com/holsters.php

You can e-mail Tommy and have him find the holster you need. He does return e-mails.

If you sweat a lot get it in horsehide. The J-clips are much more belt friendly.

For summer/hot months and the quick run to the 711 You can not beat the Remora "No Clip" Holsters.

http://remoraholsters.com/Home_Page.html

Call Jacqui (239)207-0602 and have her find the holster you need.

If you sweat a lot get it with the sweat shield.

Remember, if you call/e-mail any sellers be sure to tell them you saw their products here on the FireArmsTalk.com forum!
See I knew you'd have the answer cane......at least you didn't give the OP your "make sure it sticks in their head" rampant pony stamp on the forehead from your Hammer Of Ban

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:02 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,844
Liked 624 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Default

Its ok to get advice. But i get irritated when people post that their way is the only way to carry, and their is something wrong with you if you carry it any other way. Carry it what ever way you feel comfortable as long as its safe. A lot of people have shot them salves carrying with one in the chamber police civilian army ect. When they went to glocks in the UK the incidents of ND-S went up in fact the where more likely to shoot themselves than someone shoot them. PS. I am sure that doesn't just apply to the uk.

__________________
manta is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: new oxford,PA
Posts: 214
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
Its ok to get advice. But i get irritated when people post that their way is the only way to carry, and their is something wrong with you if you carry it any other way. Carry it what ever way you feel comfortable as long as its safe. A lot of people have shot them salves carrying with one in the chamber police civilian army ect. When they went to glocks in the UK the incidents of ND-S went up in fact the where more likely to shoot themselves than someone shoot them. PS. I am sure that doesn't just apply to the uk.
ik its up to the individual carrying thier firearm how they please n feel safe, but for me the idea that,in a situation were i NEED to unsheathe/fire my weapon,i dont wanna have to combine a tense stressfull situation with trying to get one in the chamber with a BG closin in on me..as others have said,i dont want a paper weight. I am honestly nervous about "glock leg"(or S&W leg in my case) but long as i follow safety procedures i will feel a lil better about it.
__________________

S&W sigma 9mm
Savage arms .22 long rifle,w/ scope(had since 14)
you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

REDMIST89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDMIST89

ik its up to the individual carrying thier firearm how they please n feel safe, but for me the idea that,in a situation were i NEED to unsheathe/fire my weapon,i dont wanna have to combine a tense stressfull situation with trying to get one in the chamber with a BG closin in on me..as others have said,i dont want a paper weight. I am honestly nervous about "glock leg"(or S&W leg in my case) but long as i follow safety procedures i will feel a lil better about it.
The holsters Cane suggested stops that stupid mistake from being made....or at least it does if YOU do you part correctly

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: new oxford,PA
Posts: 214
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I could go all medieval on you as I have (often) to others in the past but.........I won't.

I must first make my obligatory remarks;
  1. "I don’t carry a gun dumbed down to be safe, I carry one that will be incredibly dangerous when I SAFELY remove it from my holster and blow some dirt bag’s heart out!"
  2. Racking a round to battery can be done in a heartbeat..........more than likely, your last heartbeat!
  3. If you are afraid of the gun you carry, maybe it's best you don't carry!"
OK, learning moment out of the way.

Living in PA I have two suggestions.
For winter/cool months, hands down, the Tommy Theis Concealment Holster.

http://www.theisholsters.com/holsters.php

You can e-mail Tommy and have him find the holster you need. He does return e-mails.

If you sweat a lot get it in horsehide. The J-clips are much more belt friendly.

For summer/hot months and the quick run to the 711 You can not beat the Remora "No Clip" Holsters.

http://remoraholsters.com/Home_Page.html

Call Jacqui (239)207-0602 and have her find the holster you need.

If you sweat a lot get it with the sweat shield.
Remember, if you call/e-mail any sellers be sure to tell them you saw their products here on the FireArmsTalk.com forum!
thank you canebrake,i know you always got some sound advice and info. i will look into those two items asap..i feel a proper holster would ease some fear i have bout somethin catchin the trigger,etc and also thanx for not goin all out on me haha..i expected somethin like that but glad it didnt come to happen.
__________________

S&W sigma 9mm
Savage arms .22 long rifle,w/ scope(had since 14)
you can take my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers..┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Attempting to give a f*ck: ███████████████████] 99% Complete... ERROR!: Unable to give a f*ck.
"Im gonna be that guy that has the room full of guns/knifes and enough ammo to out last the oncoming zombie apocalypse :D"-ME

REDMIST89 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
UrbanNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Philadelphia,Pennsylvania
Posts: 934
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

If you are comfortable with the sigma, maybe try looking at the S&W sw99. It is DA with a decocker. It was a long trigger pull when decocked but it is very smooth. It is also a double stack 12+1 it was my first carry gun and I felt very safe with it. I carried the full-size model, which I quickly swapped out for my Kimber 1911 officers model for size. But the sw99 also comes in compact also an option of 9mm or .40s&w

__________________

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

UrbanNinja is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:54 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gh0zt36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Micco,Florida
Posts: 1,479
Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Default

Fortunately the attribute of glocks most everyone hates the overtravel on the trigger is what makes me so comfortable carrying condition 0 between the trigger safety and the overtravel Im not worried at all about carrying condition 0

__________________
Gh0zt36 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
manta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: UK.
Posts: 1,844
Liked 624 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 206

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
The holsters Cane suggested stops that stupid mistake from being made....or at least it does if YOU do you part correctly

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did


I see what you are saying a good holster helps. But most of the incidents of ND-S among law enforcement occur even tough they have proper holsters designed for glocks ect. You can't take out the human factor no matter how good the equipment is. So you have to weigh up the chances of someone shooting at you which i would say is very low and the chances of you negligently shooting yourself or someone else because you had a round in the chamber. PS. If their is no round in the chamber you can't have a negligent discharge.
__________________
manta is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #29
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta

I see what you are saying a good holster helps. But most of the incidents of ND-S among law enforcement occur even tough they have proper holsters designed for glocks ect. You can't take out the human factor no matter how good the equipment is. So you have to weigh up the chances of someone shooting at you which i would say is very low and the chances of you negligently shooting yourself or someone else because you had a round in the chamber.
I have thought of all that and yet I still carry dual colt gcsm condition 0 in dual shoulder holster made specifically for 1911s. I'm not worried about the stress part and how I will react bc after going to Iraq I have a VERY good idea of what I am capable of and how my body reacts in times like that.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Yes I understand most people don't have that advantage and most Leo don't mess w their weapons as much as I do and have. Most LEO also haven't been around/handled guns as long as I have either which is also a big factor in them shooting themselves or others.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
One in chamber 11Handicap General Handgun Discussion 50 01-22-2012 03:14 PM
ANSI Chamber vs CIP Chamber danf_fl .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 1 01-03-2012 04:11 PM
One in the chamber? elglockeroloko30 Glock Forum 93 12-31-2011 04:11 PM
1 in the Chamber.... JamesO Revolver Handguns 13 01-19-2010 11:25 AM
Savage .270 win re-chamber Cloons411 Gunsmithing Forum 6 01-03-2010 02:49 AM