Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

7point62, I wonder how many people have been in a situation where there CCW would've saved someone's life. I'd be seriously surprised if more than 2 people that have posted on this thread have.

It really takes experience in those situations to understand how quickly everything degenerates. The speed with which those situations occur is absolutely blinding. I mean, those Officers have obviously been training for those situations for years couldn't be prepared for it.

I lived in El Salvador for twelve years and was in that sort of situation about five times. Every time, it went from a great and normal day to a horrible situation in under 5 seconds. I will have a round in my chamber every second of every day, because I can't afford to bet my life on having enough time to chamber a round if another situation happened....and I'm sick of saying "It probably won't happen again."

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #42
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post
7point62, I wonder how many people have been in a situation where there CCW would've saved someone's life. I'd be seriously surprised if more than 2 people that have posted on this thread have.

It really takes experience in those situations to understand how quickly everything degenerates. The speed with which those situations occur is absolutely blinding. I mean, those Officers have obviously been training for those situations for years couldn't be prepared for it.

I lived in El Salvador for twelve years and was in that sort of situation about five times. Every time, it went from a great and normal day to a horrible situation in under 5 seconds. I will have a round in my chamber every second of every day, because I can't afford to bet my life on having enough time to chamber a round if another situation happened....and I'm sick of saying "It probably won't happen again."
Simple answer to your question USMC, still adding good people daily that have and will know what that is like. Might not be El Salvador but we we travel a lot. I hear the US Army sort of does the same thing but they wake up an hour after the Marines so if you like to sleep in that is the way to go.

The shock and yawn of the members of this fourm that have been there done that more than a few times is clearly more than you expect. With respect not often we get a real life person that knows what it's like Please share your stories if you will.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Last edited by WDB; 01-08-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Then go check out just how long it takes a man to cover 25 feet of ground. It's really no time at all. And in most all cases I would imagine that the bad guy will have a weapon brandished while covering that 25 feet.
DrumJunkie makes a very good point. In Mass it's illegal to shoot a threatening person further than somewhere around 23ft. The courts ruled a distance any further is to far for necessary lethal force as they are not a real threat. They came up with this from the statistic that a person at full sprint can cover 23ft and stab you before you can draw and shoot without needing to rack a round. If someone intends to do you harm and there within 25 ft, good luck. I am pretty sure this information is correct feel free to correct me if someone knows this a little better.

Old 01-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #44

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW View Post
DrumJunkie makes a very good point. In Mass it's illegal to shoot a threatening person further than somewhere around 23ft. The courts ruled a distance any further is to far for necessary lethal force as they are not a real threat. They came up with this from the statistic that a person at full sprint can cover 23ft and stab you before you can draw and shoot without needing to rack a round. If someone intends to do you harm and there within 25 ft, good luck. I am pretty sure this information is correct feel free to correct me if someone knows this a little better.
You are referring to the Tueller drill.

Tueller Drill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't carry on my person (glove box is OK in MS), but i want every chance with a SD weapon. One in the pipe means you can top of the mag and be at +1 in capacity. Ya know, in case things go really, really, really bad.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #46

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorzamora View Post

Good post. Here's a clip that was shown to us in the academy to demonstrate how quickly things can go south...
(I have no idea where this video originates, by the looks of it, maybe the Phillipines?)

What really bothers me about this video is the speed and concealment demonstrated. If I were faced with this guy, would I be able to react/draw/fire before he could? Most likely not...

Since there are bad guys out there that have trained to this extent, I always have one in the pipe; every split second counts. (Daily carry is G19 or G26) Fortunately, the average street thug that I have to deal with is no where near this disciplined, but you never know...

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Old 01-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Please share your stories if you will.
Hey, I don't know if this was aimed at me or not....but I'll throw up the shorts of a couple stories.

Jan 13, 2001 (just before I turned 11), there was a huge earthquake in El Salvador. It registered a 7.9 on the Richter Scale. Jan 20, 2001: I was leaving my cousin's house...my mom was coming by to pick me up. I stepped outside, playing my gameboy, content from having just eaten breakfast. I was still groggy since it was fairly early, and I was excited to get home. It had been about 8 hours since the last big aftershock and I was finally starting to feel better. I had done this same routine (minus the aftershocks) about a dozen or so times. Then someone rear ended us, we got out to inspect the damage, and four men drew guns and attempted to kidnap my mom. After what seems like an eternity of fighting, another round of unbelievably fast events happened. I hit a guy in the back of the head with my gameboy, he swung and leveled the gun (.38 snubnose) at my face and started pulling the trigger, a random guy with a gun fired a shot in the air. There was a gunfight, my to-be-murderer was distracted, they dropped my mom, I grabbed my mom in the midst of the confusion (who was in complete shock) and jumped behind a car. The day went from great to hell in literally under 30 seconds, with the first warning happening as they drew guns.

Years later, I was withdrawing a large amount of cash (relatively...it was about $300, but that is considered a lot in a 3rd world country) to replace my dirtbike's tires as I had a big race coming up. A guy rammed into my car and drew his weapon. Needless to say, I was redlined in fifth faster than I thought possible.

Six months later, a drunk man pulled a knife on me. Luckily, I had some martial arts knowledge and disarmed him...but was lucky enough to have had free hands and have had the advantage of being sober.

Approximately a month after that, a man with a knife grabbed one of my friends. I grabbed my body guard's sawed-off 12GA out of the trunk while calming the man down. I swung the barrel onto the guy's face, my body guard followed suit and drew his Glock (.45) and we convinced him he had made a mistake and the only way to be given the chance to wake up in the morning was to drop his knife, release the girl, and run away.

About a year after that, one of the kidnappers recognized me and chased me down. He was a police officer. I approximate somewhere between 100-120 rounds were fired at me during the course of a high speed pursuit, ending in him crashing quite violently.

I have a several more stories, one is mine...a few are my father's...several are from close friends. The point is, the day I turn 21 I will not be without an ace up my sleeve (well, tucked into my pants ). A man saved my and my mother's lives and I will pay it forward if I'm given the chance. I will also never be caught unarmed against a better equipped baddy. I no longer have the luxury of saying, "It won't happen to me."

Old 01-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #48

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

And for those wondering, the kidnapping story goes on to be so incredibly unbelievable that if made into a movie, no one would believe it. I swear it was like a joke.

The trailer of the movie would involve four dirty cops, a crazy aunt, 2 terrible presidents, a horrible vice president, a treacherous ambassador, and TONS of threats.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #49

Default Interesting thread

This is a very interesting discussion. I shared the original posters concern about carrying the G23 with a round in the chamber. To me, it was the same as carrying a cocked revolver and I wouldn't dream of doing that.

But then I read the replies in this thread, and the explanation of the safeties. I was persuaded by the arguments in favor of carrying with one in the chamber as I trust the expertise of real people here on this forum.

And then I get my Glock 23 just this past Saturday. So I'm reading through the owner's manual, doing my due diligence to learn about the weapon and I find the following passage from Glock:

"CAUTION Do not carry the pistol in the ready to fire condition. This is not the recommended safe-carrying method for civilian use."

While appreciate the arguments in favor of carrying with a round in the chamber, I just don't think I can bring myself to do it.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:56 AM   #50

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gh4chiefs View Post
This is a very interesting discussion. I shared the original posters concern about carrying the G23 with a round in the chamber. To me, it was the same as carrying a cocked revolver and I wouldn't dream of doing that.

But then I read the replies in this thread, and the explanation of the safeties. I was persuaded by the arguments in favor of carrying with one in the chamber as I trust the expertise of real people here on this forum.

And then I get my Glock 23 just this past Saturday. So I'm reading through the owner's manual, doing my due diligence to learn about the weapon and I find the following passage from Glock:

"CAUTION Do not carry the pistol in the ready to fire condition. This is not the recommended safe-carrying method for civilian use."

While appreciate the arguments in favor of carrying with a round in the chamber, I just don't think I can bring myself to do it.
With a proper holster (ie one that completely encloses the trigger guard), and never placing your finger on the trigger until you are on target, you will be fine. Carrying a Glock is not like carrying a revolver cocked, but more like carrying a revolver with the hammer down. I'm sure the disclaimer was put in there due to Glock's lawyers and possible liability issues. I look at it this way: I have carried a Glock both as a civilian and now as a police officer for a long time. Cops aren't known for their brains, but if we can carry them around day in and day out with minimal negligent discharges, I would imagine any halfway intelligent and responsible citizen can too. (There are some people in my department that I can't believe are allowed to have a gun, let alone carry one everyday)

Bottom line, do what you are comfortable with... If it's between carrying a Glock w/o a round in the chamber or not carrying at all, then by all means opt for the former. IMO, a concealed glock w/o a round in the chamber is just another blunt object you can hit someone with. God forbid, if the need ever arose, you might be the guy who brought a brick to a gunfight.

The only time you can have too much ammunition is if you're swimming or on fire!

Gun stores: Where the morbidly obese can pretend to be mercenaries, allude to past experiences in Special Ops, and overuse words like "tactical" and "piece of kit".

Last edited by HighSpeed; 01-25-2011 at 01:00 AM.