Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a former department Training Manager I have seen several ADs, ID, or WFTDs but it all boils down to the officer training, mindset, and competence. I have never had my finger near the trigger when reholstering. But per the OPs question

Carry one in the chamber. If you practice safe drawing and returning the gun to the holster safely you will do fine. Remember one thing to do when training to draw your weapon... "Smooth is fast"

get used to your equipment, get comfy with it, practice often on the range drawing from the concealed location.

Old 11-12-2010, 03:03 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I carry a glock 27 with one always in the chamber. In a pressure situation I would be too afraid I'd pull it out and "mouse" it. Just a point and click!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:16 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
I don't believe ANY LEO is packing with out one one the tube. There is no time between draw and fire in that profession to rack the slide. IMHO the OP either lives in Mayberry or is trying to qualify there choice to carry in a less than ready state. A firearm is like any other tool, it has to be ready to preform when needed. You would't keep the batteries out of a flashlight until the power goes out would you? It's mili seconds that defines life and past life in a situation where you need your firearm, don't let racking the slide be the deciding point.
Funny that you'd say this, as I literally live in Mayberry. Not to put a bummer on this topic, but late on Christmas Eve an officer's life was saved. I'm not going to get into specifics, but a man who killed his step-father while he was on the phone with the police drew and intended to fire at a group of police officers. The lead officer had a round in the tube, and that split second saved his life...because the murderer sure had one in the tube.

Just FYI, I live in Mt Airy, NC...where the show was based on and where Andy Griffith grew up. It is one of the safest towns in the world. But then again, I'm a Virginia Tech student, and Blacksburg, VA was (and still is) one of the safest places in the United States. However, we still know what is capable of happening even in places as safe as those. I have a Px4sc that'll make sure that these safe towns stay safe. Above all else, I want to contribute to the statistic that an increase in CCW there is a decrease in violent crime.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #24

Liked 2527 Times on 1136 Posts
Likes Given: 2429

remember the Duke in True Grit "a gun that's cocked and unloaded ain't good for nothin"

Old 01-01-2011, 10:01 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
humans are always involved. a little extra training or paying attention driving a little slower or faster may avoid things but accidents can and do happpen.

so you would say hitting a piece of debris blown into the road colliding with a large animal at nite that jumps out of the ditch into road or some mechanical part failing when it showed no previous signs or hitting a patch of unseen ice are not accidents?? my condolences for you being the victim of a moron and no one here is not saying the overwhelming majority of gun AD are actually idiots yanking the trigger at the wrong time.
Well...maybe if a piece of debris blows into my trigger guard and causes the gun to go off that is an accident. There is no such thing whatsoever as an accidental discharge...name me one situation where someone gun when off that was not their fault? If they drop it and it goes off...maybe they should hold onto their damn weapon. If you try to unholster or holster it and it goes off...maybe keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you're ready to fire. Bottom line is...being careless and/or stupid is the only thing going to make that gun go off without you meaning for it to.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #26

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Simple is this.

An unloaded gun is a worthless tool. In the urgent time of need, why fart around with chambering a round.

"Pardon me, Mr bad Guy, would you mind putting your attack on temporary hiatus whilst I get out the instrument or destruction I plan on destroying you with and make it ready to do so? "

And any LEO who carry a gun not loaded at ready, honestly have no business carrying that weapon.

The idea of carrying a pistol with no manual external safety can be harrowing at first. It took me a while to get used to my glock 20 locked and loaded as a duty weapon, but I got over it.

Glocks are inherently safe. You can chamber a round and toss it down a hallway without worry of discharge. I've demonstrated this numerous times.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #27

Likes Given: 5

You can choose to not carry a round in the chamber....but you have to train that way. Instincts and traininng take over in that moment of adrenalin dump. The Isreal Army trains like this and is extremly fast to deploy, rack and round and fire their weapons. Just remember TRAIN in the way you are going to face the devil.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 AM   #28

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

When the San Antonio Police Department changed over from S&W Model 65's to Glocks, the glock rep. took a loaded magazine, put it in a weapon, worked the slide to chamber a round.....................and threw it on the floor!!!!!!! My father was the Firearms Officer at the time, from that day to the present, he has carried a glock.......on duty, off duty and retired.

Semper Fi

Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 AM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As long as you wear a holster and carry with the safety on,why not?

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 AM   #30
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBEN View Post
As long as you wear a holster and carry with the safety on,why not?
Because Glocks do not have a manual safety button.