Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

AD or ND is splitting hairs and best left to lawyers. everyone here knows what was meant. the weapon went off unintentionaly. negligence idiocy stupidity malicious trigger yanking whatever we all know what it means some one had a moment of idiocy and yanked the switch.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm with these guys. Glocks are built with inherent safeties to prevent unintended discharge. Personally, I wouldn't bother to carry it unless it were ready to fire. I prefer to see them as more of a double action, similar to the revolver triggers. I think the trigger mechanism is consider as "double action", which allows some jurisdictions to issue them to the PD. I might be mistaken, but I believe New York is one state that wouldn't allow them otherwise. My glock trigger pull is a heavier than my .44Mag's double action pull is. I guess the short answer is YES, one in the pipe is ideal.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 11-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Carrying any weapon with nothing in the chamber is carrying an unloaded weapon. And an unloaded weapon does you no good if/when you need it. When the time comes that you actually need your carry weapon things are going to happen really fast. It's not like TV where you always have time to rack a slide. Try this some time. Holster an UNLOADED weapon. Then have someone time you and draw that weapon and rack the slide then bring it up like you would if you would have to so you can save your bacon. Then go check out just how long it takes a man to cover 25 feet of ground. It's really no time at all. And in most all cases I would imagine that the bad guy will have a weapon brandished while covering that 25 feet. You will see pretty fast that you are putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.

If you are not comfortable carrying a loaded weapon you have to ask two questions. One bweing why am I not comfortable carrying this particular weapon? The second is there a weapon that I can feel comfortable carrying loaded?

An unloaded weapon is a paperweight and can not do the job you paid for it to do. It can (will) cause you many more troubles that any feeling of safety it can provide.

A Glock just like any other weapon have only one real safety. And it's in that thing you hold your that up with. Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until you are ready and willing to put a hole in something. This is where training comes in to play. People that have to use a weapon in their day to day life train so that when the time comes that they need their weapon they can.A civilian with a CCW should do the same. In doing this you will become more familiar with your weapon not just hanging on your side but in your hands as well. Drawing drills are great for teaching yourself how to present your weapon in a manner that will not allow for a negligent discharge. Reinforcing the idea that you can safely draw your weapon without something bad happening.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-06-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 207 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Well said Drum Junkie!

Old 11-07-2010, 01:22 AM   #15
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't believe ANY LEO is packing with out one one the tube. There is no time between draw and fire in that profession to rack the slide. IMHO the OP either lives in Mayberry or is trying to qualify there choice to carry in a less than ready state. A firearm is like any other tool, it has to be ready to preform when needed. You would't keep the batteries out of a flashlight until the power goes out would you? It's mili seconds that defines life and past life in a situation where you need your firearm, don't let racking the slide be the deciding point.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #16

Carry how you want to, it is personal preference. If you practice you can incorporate racking the slide into your draw stroke. Does this add time???? Maybe a couple hundredths of a second, if that. Then of course you can start factoring all the other variables that may or may not happen. What if you lose the use of one arm, etc... Situational awareness is a big factor, as you will never outdraw someone point a gun at you.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxer View Post
but I believe New York is one state that wouldn't allow them otherwise.
You are partially correct. In fact NY city's officer carry a glock version that has a heavier trigger pull installed. It is call "The New York Trigger." it is designed to be much heavier and to make the officer be damned sure he or she wants to pull it. Glock makes a "Target Trigger" (Lighter than stock) and the "New York Trigger" heavier.

As far as the earlier post asking about "Auto Accidents" I can see that he is living with his head in the sand. In fact I have been in an "Auto Accident"

Fact is if the little bullet proof testosterone filled jack ass hadn't been trying to race his cousin and passing him on a hill and being in my lane the "ACCIDENT" would never have happened and I would not have needed to pull my self out of a burning car with 38 broken bones. A combined frontal impact speed of OVER 135 mph. TOTAL stupidity and NEGLIGENCE.

Sorry had to vent

I DARE you to show me an "ACCIDENT" involving either an automobile or a firearm. When Humans are involved there is no such thing. There are mistakes, not accidents.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5520 Times on 2883 Posts
Likes Given: 358

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
I DARE you to show me an "ACCIDENT" involving either an automobile or a firearm. When Humans are involved there is no such thing. There are mistakes, not accidents.
humans are always involved. a little extra training or paying attention driving a little slower or faster may avoid things but accidents can and do happpen.

so you would say hitting a piece of debris blown into the road colliding with a large animal at nite that jumps out of the ditch into road or some mechanical part failing when it showed no previous signs or hitting a patch of unseen ice are not accidents?? my condolences for you being the victim of a moron and no one here is not saying the overwhelming majority of gun AD are actually idiots yanking the trigger at the wrong time.

Last edited by JonM; 11-08-2010 at 02:08 PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

I have to say when I first got my G-19 I was nervous about carrying it chambered, partly because prior to that I only had my P226 which I could carry chambered but de-cocked, but mostly the nerves were down to the sh!ttie holster I had at the time, combined with the fact that till the snow hits my primary vehical is my motorcycle, however once I upgraded to a better holster with good retention (currently using the Fist Inc kydex iwb) I stopped being nervous about it and now it's chambered at all times, never had any fears with the new holster....but at the end of the day it's a personal preference...most ppl will say that when it hits the fan you need it chambered because you will not have time to rack, I disagree - outside of LE/military or unless you've p!ssed of some seriously hardcore thugs most situations are not wild west quick draw scenarios and will allow you (as long as you practice) plenty of time to draw, move and rack, then shoot.

Glaine ár gcroí, neart ár ngéag agus beart de réir ár mbriathar - ARW
(The cleanliness of our hearts, the strength of our limbs and our commitment to our promise)

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
humans are always involved. a little extra training or paying attention driving a little slower or faster may avoid things but accidents can and do happpen.

so you would say hitting a piece of debris blown into the road colliding with a large animal at nite that jumps out of the ditch into road or some mechanical part failing when it showed no previous signs or hitting a patch of unseen ice are not accidents?? my condolences for you being the victim of a moron and no one here is not saying the overwhelming majority of gun AD are actually idiots yanking the trigger at the wrong time.
If you are driving on a road that larger animals may pop out on you then you need to watch your speed and watch for them. Many people around here hit deer and it's most often they are driving on a road with woods on either side and treating it like an interstate. Be aware of your surroundings and adjust your speed accordingly.
If you take care on your vehicle you will know if some part is wearing out to the point of falling off. Use a wire hanger to fix a muffler is not proper maintenance.
Debris...Again...Be aware of your surroundings. Ice on a road? really?? If it's cold enough to ice a road then you should expect ice and plan accordingly.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson