Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Carrying a Glock loaded concealed vs unloaded

Having bought a Glock 23 several months ago and carrying same concealed for the same amount of time, I have this question: Should I carry a Glock with a round in the chamber or not?

Several law enforcement officers have told me they don't carry with a round in the chamber, but have never explained why. Do Glocks have a problem when carried in that manner? If carrying concealed, why would you NOT have a round in the chamber ready to fire? I'm confused with this situation. Aren't Glocks safe to carry in this manner?

Would appreciate some input, until then I'll continue carrying ready to fire.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5692 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 378

carrying a glock or xd with a round in the chamber is the same thing as carrying any other handgun with the hammer cocked and safety off. some folks are comfy with it others arent. its pretty much personal pref. no modern pistol will discharge unless someone yanks the trigger.

one other thing lots of AD have occured over the years with glocks in police depts. mostly its lack of paying attention, lack of training, or just the individual being an idiot. safety devices dont make guns idiot proof only the person carrying the handgun not being an idiot makes them idiot proof...

Last edited by JonM; 11-04-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:02 AM   #3

i have carried for years only guns with manual safeties .. but, i never put my finger on the trigger until i am ready to pull the trigger .. i now own a G19 and i feel confident i am not going to have a AD or ND .. i ALWAYS carry one in the tube .. that is my personal preference .. and i am NOT pulling my gun no matter what unless i plan on firing it ..

Old 11-05-2010, 04:15 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I always have one in the chamber. When the SHTF, you are not going to have time to tell the bad guy "Wait a minute, I have to rack one into the chamber."

Integrity is doing good even when no-one is looking

Originally posted by Skullcrusher: "I believe the fact that you are LEO speaks for itself. When talking about strong women and guns, you are implied in every statement."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Glass is proof that women have control over everything in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Glass has now achieved "Goddess Status" in my mind. I'm not worthy.....

Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 101

I agree with JonM. When you go on patrol, your Glock shoud be loaded and one in the chamber. Our dept has had 3 AD's, and it was carelessness that caused it, and usually after hooking up the sam browne and holstering the weapon. They would be BS'ing with another person in the locker room, and forget to pull their finger out of the trigger guard when slamming it into the holster. One guy had a .40 round enter his thigh, thru his kneecap, down his ankle, and thru his foot. He was out for quite a long time!

Old 11-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

It's probably OK as long as you're not an NFL player...

Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM   #7

Glocks do infact have three safetys on them and all three are controlled by the trigger.
As long as you don't pull that trigger it won't go off. You can drop it, throw it, slam it in your holster and it won't go off. Just remember to keep your finger off that trigger if you don't want it to fire ! The cops who told you that may have not wanted "you" to carry it that way. All law enforcement keeps one up the pipe, in battery, and ready to go.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #8

I just saw one of my biggest pet peeves.

There is no such thing as an AD (Accidental Discharge)

There is only ID (Intended Discharge) and ND (Negligent Discharge)

Any time a fire arm is discharged and it was not done intentionally it is NEGLIGENT. Human error ALWAYS plays a role in it.

With that off my chest... The officers you have spoken with are probably carrying their duty and back-up glocks that way because their department policy requires them to make damned sure they need to discharge their weapons.

Fact is the Glock Safe action pistol is one of the safest, if not the safest, firearm to carry.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Sorry, but I have to call you out on something. Have you ever been in an auto collision? Was it an accident, or was it negligence? As they say, "crap happens" and yes humans (and computers) make mistakes, but is there negligence involved?

Old 11-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2744 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Calling an auto collision an "accident" is a huge misnomer. Having investigated over 1000 traffic collisions, I can say they are not accidents. At least one party involved made a mistake because of negligence, carelessness, intoxication or just plain stupidity. Yes, there are no (or damn few) AD's. Keep your boogerhook off the bang switch and the gun will not go off.
IMHO, if you are not competent enough to carry a handgun with a loaded chamber, you are not competent enough to carry and handgun. You need to get more training, period.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball