Carrying at friend's homes

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying at friend's homes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts

Default Carrying at friend's homes

My family and I went to a friend's house for a visit. I decided to not bring my handgun with me because I felt they would not want to have a gun in their home. I could have easily brought my gun with me and they would have never detected it. So my question to the forum is, what would you have done? Would you have just brought the gun with you? I never asked them so I'm not even positive they would have objected. I would feel awkward even bringing up the topic to them in the first place. I just assumed since they have 2 small children in their home, they would be uncomfortable with it. I know they don't object to firearms since he was my reference for my permit application.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-06-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2042 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 2220

Just my opinion: If they were friends, I'd carry and I'd let them know I was carrying. There's no reason for someone to be uncomfortable with a concealed carry due to small children. If you are carrying properly, the kids don't have to know a thing. And the gun is there for defensive use that would become a real benefit in case of a home invasion, etc. If they are uncomfortable anyway, then you need to decide whether to proceed unarmed or not.

There is no right/wrong decision here. You need to decide based on your overall situation, your ethics/morals/ability/experience/relationship/... Don't let any opinionated person here (including, maybe especially, me) decide for you. But don't let your assumption about your friends feelings decide either. Communication is a life skill whose importance cannot possibly be overstated. Talk to your friend. Then decide.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #3

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Just like Balota said "If it is carried properly" then there shouldn't be a problem. No one is going to grab the firearm from you. As long as you don't decide to leave the firearm for the kids to play with.. I myself carry everywhere I can!!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2220 Times on 1200 Posts
Likes Given: 801

I carry into friends homes all the time. I never tell anyone about it. Concealed is concealed.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #5

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I respect my friends wishes the same way I respect local businesses. If they don't want me to carry, then don't expect to see my shadow darken their doorstep.

Much easier with friends. They all think like me. Birds of a feather and all that.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 AM   #6

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

I carry everywhere that is legal unless I am actually asked not to. Come to think of it...I have never been asked not to. All of my friends know that I carry. Some of them shoot with me.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

People Like This 
Old 08-06-2013, 03:45 AM   #7

Liked 2544 Times on 1451 Posts
Likes Given: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I carry into friends homes all the time. I never tell anyone about it. Concealed is concealed.
First, these are my friends. Second, see above. Third, my life isn't

neatly compartmentalized into simple acts. After my friend visit,

I'll be going somewhere else, and probably somewhere after that.

Now, if, for instance, I'm going to court, the post office, and the airport,

all in one day, I leave my gun home, on the off chance I won't

be assaulted, by machine-gun toting terrorists on the road,

in the very narrow

time window I'm disarmed.

Last edited by therewolf; 08-06-2013 at 03:48 AM.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1088 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 242

I carry 24/7. If I walk into a bank, I leave my Gun in my vehicle, and replace it again on my person, when I return. I carry at the store, mall, walmart, home depot, everywhere I go. Follow your local laws, and don't give it a second thought.

When using their restroom, don't forget to pick up your gun and put it back in concealment.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:00 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

I even carry in banks.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 987 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

If they are a friend, then they know I carry.

Become steel or get cut.
People Like This