Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carrying an extra mag. Yes or no?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default Carrying an extra mag. Yes or no?

I read another thread that had seceral folks talking about how they carry an extra mag.

Currently I carry a Glock 30 (.45ACP) which holds 11 rounds full. It's small, conceals well, and seems like all the gun & ammo I need for self defense.

I carry IWB with a Desanti holster. I've been thinking of having Eric Hopp (custom leathe guy) make me a mag pouch for an extra mag IWB. But the more I ponder the extra weight, cost, and need I am talking myself out of it. Almost all confrontations are over in a matter of seconds. Almost always no more than a few shots are fired. And almost always close up and personal.

What are your thoughts on a second or third mag?
Really ever think you'll need them?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/HoppCustomLeathers?fref=ts

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #2

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I carry an extra magazine on me and keep 2 more in my car. Just because sometimes bad guys bring friends...

Old 11-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 250 Times on 165 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I carry 2 xtra mags cause I carry 2 different single stack guns, a .45 and a .40 for a BUG. Although I have tested my mags and use only those that are highly recommended, the chance of a mag failure is always there.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #4

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Every car or truck has an extra mag for each gun and I always have 2 extra mags on me if I am out of the house.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Duh. I carry as many as 4 reloads, for my 357, when i carry personaly. With my 1911 i had 6 extra mags. Paronid? Maybe. You never know who or what you will encounter. I've read plenty of reports where a reloaded wasnt needed, and where every shot was needed. Not only do i carry extra ammo, i also carry a flash light, and a hand weapen to boot. Be prepared.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1630 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Off duty I carry one extra mag, on duty I carry two extra.
If I travel away from home I carry about five extra mags and an extra box of ammo, not to mention an 'extra' gun and holster which is the same caliber and the mags fit.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

RoGrrr Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I plan to carry two spares in addition to the loaded mag. Honestly, we/you carry a weapon for that "just in case" scenario. Whether you carry extra mags is really a personal choice made based on the idea that there can be too much "just in case." The stats on gunfights always say 3 shots/3 feet/3 seconds or what have you, but since you already carry a gun "just in case" you encounter that 3/3/3, why not carry extra mags "just in case" your once-in-a-lifetime gunfight doesn't fit the 3/3/3 bill?

Old 11-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #8

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I don't carry an extra mag, I carry a BUG. What is that extra mag good for if you happen to loose your weapon in the struggle with the bad guy or it should fail to fire? The need for More than 6, 10, 12 rounds? If the need should arise, I'd be looking for an escape route. In other words do the sensible thing and retreat and live to tell your story. Just my opinion..

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 11-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby View Post
I read another thread that had seceral folks talking about how they carry an extra mag.

Currently I carry a Glock 30 (.45ACP) which holds 11 rounds full. It's small, conceals well, and seems like all the gun & ammo I need for self defense.

I carry IWB with a Desanti holster. I've been thinking of having Eric Hopp (custom leathe guy) make me a mag pouch for an extra mag IWB. But the more I ponder the extra weight, cost, and need I am talking myself out of it. Almost all confrontations are over in a matter of seconds. Almost always no more than a few shots are fired. And almost always close up and personal.

What are your thoughts on a second or third mag?
Really ever think you'll need them?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/HoppCustomLeathers?fref=ts
IMHO, bad guys and ammo are like chips and dip — you almost always run out of one before the other. In both cases, I know which *I* would rather have left over.

So I did get Eric Hopp to make an IWB ammo carrier along with my holster. He didn't already have what I wanted, so it took two tries, and there isn't a photo of it on his page. But here's a pic for you.
holster-mag-carrier.jpg  

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

The_Kid Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #10

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

I personally carry at least one extra mag cause my mags only hold 7 rounds.