Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it? - Page 9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 09:48 PM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Here's my take on the extra mag discussion.....some make the point that its statistics that in a defensive shootout you won't need more than a couple shots and the possiblility of needing more is slim.

In my opinion making the same argument id say leave your pistol at home because the chance of needing it is also slim.

My point is isn't it better to have something and not need it than to be screwed because you don't have it. My truck has a spare tire under the bed but I keep it there even though I've only used it once in 6 years.

That argument doesn't hold water in my opinion. A fully loaded 1911 mag doesn't weigh that much, so its not gonna cause me to leave it behind.
AGAIN with the "better to have " stuff ????
Com'on -------

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-24-2012, 04:38 AM   #82
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5329

Signaling for Left Turn. . .

Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 AM   #83

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks
Here's my take on the extra mag discussion.....some make the point that its statistics that in a defensive shootout you won't need more than a couple shots and the possiblility of needing more is slim.

In my opinion making the same argument id say leave your pistol at home because the chance of needing it is also slim.

My point is isn't it better to have something and not need it than to be screwed because you don't have it. My truck has a spare tire under the bed but I keep it there even though I've only used it once in 6 years.

That argument doesn't hold water in my opinion. A fully loaded 1911 mag doesn't weigh that much, so its not gonna cause me to leave it behind.
Simple better safe than sorry theory. Measure twice cut once. A matter of assurances. I completely agree in theory. That said, I'm not going to carry a second mag. A backup gun perhaps, but not for same reason. I figure job will be done with whichever one it is I can get to or I wouldn't have pulled it anyway.

Personally I'd rather just pee my pants and scream like I've just been touched inappropriately by my uncle. Should suffice as a defensive tactic just as well as any more aggressive form, such as firearm protection.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #84

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
Signaling for Left Turn. . .
Glad to follow
Too early for me to execute myself

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 11-24-2012, 01:24 PM   #85

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by VannMann View Post
I am not saying they are giving minors alcohol. Unless it is the communion. The law about bring guns into churches is not enforced that often. But we are talking about concealed weapons. Just keep it concealed. If you attend a anti-gun church, well use your best judgment. My uncle is a retired Houston PD and a Baptist minister. There were several times he had to go on duty after church. What was he carrying under his robe? Use your imagination. My current priest is a CHL card holder. And his wallpaper on his computer is guns. What is he wearing under his robe? I do not care to know. But if he is forced to use it, I know he will be praying for the soul as the bullet leaves the chamber. If you look at history, churches at times turned into vigilantes real quick. That is what is trying to be avoided here.
TYVM, for missing my point, entirely.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #86

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Make sure you carry with one in the chamber, at least you have 1 for sure bang. That could be enough

Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 AM   #87

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey all, newbie here. Just wanted to give my perspective on this topic.

Here's the scenerio;

You are approached, unfortunatly this warrants the use of your firearm.
It happened so quick, it appears to be over. Now you scan for additional threats, "did I fire three or four times? Or six or seven?" "What if there are more?"
What do you do? Tactical reload, now I know I have 16 ready to go if needed, no question.
That is why I will carry an extra mag.

"Just because I ain't sayin' it, don't mean I ain't thinking it"

Old 11-25-2012, 03:05 AM   #88

I live in Ca. Also. I have had a CCW for years. It is not the easiest place to get one, or keep one. As for the thought of caring more than one mag. My thought is what I carry in my weapon should be enough. The reason I say that is if you carry you should do everything you can to stay out of bad situations. Carrying is a big responsibility and liability so it is good you are asking questions about things like how much ammo should I carry. The only answer to that is really what do you feel conformable with. I carry either a Glock 40 or a Beretta 40, one mag, one in the pipe.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #89
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1760 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 5329

I have often wanted to write a really long reply and make sure that I don't really use any punctuation and make the sentence long, but meaningless in the attempt to convey my thoughts to the reader who might like long sentences and run on paragraphs that make eyes roll back in their heads as they try to get through all of the words written on a reply to the reader of the sentences above but not really reading anymore because long sentences and paragraphs are really hard to follow but look like their is a lot of energy and thought going on in the long sentences with no punctuation and more words that one or two people could think possible in one paragraph without taking a breath or anything else that really helps the reader get through the thoughts that may have been coherent but get lost in a blather of words sprawling across the screen like teletype gone crazy after a power spike and a backlog a phase shift baudot waiting to clatter and clack out something that is really sounding important but may only be random characters or maybe the most important thing on earth but nobody would know because the sentence is so long that no really can make their way throught it so it makes sense that an extra mag may take the form of popular mechanics or life magazine that is no longer published but is worth having in a pinch.

Left Turn executed.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 11-25-2012, 04:05 AM   #90

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile
Hey all, newbie here. Just wanted to give my perspective on this topic.

Here's the scenerio;

You are approached, unfortunatly this warrants the use of your firearm.
It happened so quick, it appears to be over. Now you scan for additional threats, "did I fire three or four times? Or six or seven?" "What if there are more?"
What do you do? Tactical reload, now I know I have 16 ready to go if needed, no question.
That is why I will carry an extra mag.
That theory never ends, it's pointless and serves only to exaggerate. What if your second isn't enough, what if his friends were in a car and come after, then their friends who were lookouts come, etc, etc, etc. What if a stranger saw it and assumed you the bad guy?

My slides lock back after last round. If I hadn't already assessed situation and surroundings before I pulled I shouldn't own and be caring a firearm in the first place. That's my perspective. You can never account for everything. If it makes you more comfortable to carry extra mag then by all means do so. I'm more than confident with one gun and one bullet. I carry a second gun because it's easy enough and the situation is more likely to find me not able to access one. In such a case the mag would do ya no good.

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 11-25-2012 at 04:15 AM.