Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #41
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1473 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat View Post
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvsafe View Post
You may want to try this:

Set up 2 targets, draw your weapon and empty a magazine at one of the targets in as rapid fire as your range would allow. Next run a 100 yard sprint, then immediately pick up your firearm and empty another magazine at the 2nd target at the same speed your shot your 1st target in.

Now compare, then ask yourself the same question...
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The magazine is THE weakest part of any semi-auto pistol.
If the magazine screws up, then your pistol is a rock.

I carry extra mags for that reason.

If I need more than the 8 rounds offered by my 1911, then I am either dumb enough to be in the wrong place, or I should have brought a rifle.
I used to carry 2 speedloaders with my GP100, and a Jennings J22 (let the harrassment comence!) with an extra mag before I got my 1911. Currently, if I need to carry, I have 1 8 rounder in the 1911, and 2 spares on the non gun side, and the same J22 in an ankle holster, plus the additional mag for it in my left pocket. My reason for doing so, all of the above quotes. This is in addition to a flashlight, extra batteries, and 2 knives. I would much rather carry around 9 extra pounds of sh!t, then run out of ammo when my or my family's lives are at risk. Generally speaking, I use observation and situational awarness so that hopefully I will never have to use even 1 round. It is a he!! of a lot easier to avoid trouble, then it ever is to fight your way out of it. YMMV.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #42

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
The magazine is THE weakest part of any semi-auto pistol.
If the magazine screws up, then your pistol is a rock.

I carry extra mags for that reason.

If I need more than the 8 rounds offered by my 1911, then I am either dumb enough to be in the wrong place, or I should have brought a rifle.
Best reason I've read so far.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #43

Liked 1907 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 404

I could see carrying an extra for the reasoning of having a spare in case something went bad with the main mag.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #44
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7655 Times on 4416 Posts
Likes Given: 9867

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I could see carrying an extra for the reasoning of having a spare in case something went bad with the main mag.
By the time you figure out that there is a problem with one of your carry mags the gunfight will probably be over.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #45

Liked 1907 Times on 1140 Posts
Likes Given: 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
By the time you figure out that there is a problem with one of your carry mags the gunfight will probably be over.
MAybe, but if you're not out of the fight it is nice to have an option instead of waiting for a coup d' gras.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #46

Liked 1629 Times on 921 Posts
Likes Given: 1086

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I have had a mag failure during an IDPA shoot. Actually I goofed up the crimp on my reloads. Bad day at IDPA. But I did find out that I can clear and reload my 1911 in about 5 seconds. That includes the second of "What the heck is wrong with this thing?" I think I would still be in it at that point.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #47

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Sorry for responding so late to these. I was actually at my CHL class and couldn't respond right away.

First off, I looked for similar posts and didn't find o e that answered my question an I probably didn't find the one that mentioned my initial question.

Second, I can understand the gun jamming and that being pretty much the only reason for carrying a spare. Situational awareness would tell most people if fifteen BGs were around then I'm in a losing fight either way. The average gun fight is 3.5 rounds So I just don't see myself getting into that type of situation. Before anybody says it, I know anything can happen but at that point I need to walk around with my AR.

After reading all of your posts, thanks BTW, I feel that one spare mag would suffice and I just don't see carrying more mags than that being practical for me. I am a big guy, 6'4" 375lbs, so most people don't mess with me anyway. Believe it or not my size usually scares people off by it self.

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I have had a mag failure during an IDPA shoot. Actually I goofed up the crimp on my reloads. Bad day at IDPA. But I did find out that I can clear and reload my 1911 in about 5 seconds. That includes the second of "What the heck is wrong with this thing?" I think I would still be in it at that point.
Do you think that you could have done so well in a gunfight? I'm not saying you couldn't. Things are different in a high stress situation and an IDPA competitin is not as stressful as being in a gunfight I'm guessing.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:28 AM   #49
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5101 Times on 2651 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I am not concerned about my shooting abilities. I can hold my own with the best of them. I think of being trapped in a situation with an active shooter. The nutcase in Aurora had body armor on.
just for the record he had a mag carrier vest not body armor.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-18-2012, 12:34 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
just for the record he had a mag carrier vest not body armor.
They are one and the same to your average reporter.