Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #22

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCat View Post
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
Wow- never heard that one

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 11-17-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

You may want to try this:

Set up 2 targets, draw your weapon and empty a magazine at one of the targets in as rapid fire as your range would allow. Next run a 100 yard sprint, then immediately pick up your firearm and empty another magazine at the 2nd target at the same speed your shot your 1st target in.

Now compare, then ask yourself the same question...

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Restaurants or any other public place with many folks there I will carry 2 additional mags.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #25

Liked 4782 Times on 2313 Posts
Likes Given: 1473

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
The magazine is THE weakest part of any semi-auto pistol.
If the magazine screws up, then your pistol is a rock.

I carry extra mags for that reason.

If I need more than the 8 rounds offered by my 1911, then I am either dumb enough to be in the wrong place, or I should have brought a rifle.
Bingo!

I cary reloads for ^^THIS^^ reason AND because most defensive shootings I've looked at resulted in the shooters gun running dry.

Fleeing the scene does not look good and standing around waiting for LEO's with an empty gun is not very appealing either.

Thugs usually have buddies.

Tack
Old 11-17-2012, 04:11 PM   #26

Liked 2388 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I carry one spare mag with my 1911 they are 7 rounders. Habit really. On road trips I take 4 mags and a box of ammo. Neva know when you may get a trip to the range or zombiezzzzz!! "Jk"

I did used to carry 3 total mags with my Taurus when I carried it. 12 rounds of 45acp a piece. That was a bit much...???

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1958 Times on 1155 Posts
Likes Given: 927

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBear View Post
I'm new to concealed carrying and wanted to know if having the extra mags is worth carrying?

I have grown up around guns and a great shot. I understand in a draw and shoot situation that ammo goes faster than expected but is an extra mag really going to help at that moment? I'm going to carry a glock 19 gen 4 which is 15+1. My thought on it is if I need more than that then this situation is how many am I taking with me. I understand the principle of "well u might need it," but in that case I should just carry my AR around.

Is it necessary or just preference?
We just discussed this at length! Go back about a week and you will find a long thread on this.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 11-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #28

Liked 2179 Times on 1470 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
We just discussed this at length! Go back about a week and you will find a long thread on this.
Guess you aint figured out yet nobody searches for shet anymore- We have a "lets just ask the same questions over 'n over" kinda system goin on

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

People Like This 
Old 11-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #29
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8260 Times on 4772 Posts
Likes Given: 10674

Quote:
Originally Posted by spack762 View Post
I've read an after action report were three men where ambushed by 10 to 17 guys. Two of the three men where killed at the start. The suviver returned fire. 17rnds later the bad guys where left. He cut them down with his knife when they charged him.

I can dig up the refracens. Trying not sound like a jerk, but why limit your self? I carry two reloads, knife or two and a flashlight. Sometimes a seconed gun. If I could carry my AK instead i would! But I can't, I carry what I can and practice. I'm a good shoot too, but how good are you when the bad guys shoot back, or first.
That sounds like a case where situational awareness was in short supply, not spare mags and ammo.

I avoid places where I might run into 10 to 17 thugs who might attack me and I am left to defending myself with a knife. BTW, did the two dead victims have guns or was it left to the one survivor with the knife and his 17 rounds (and was that 8 + 8 plus one in the pipe?)?

I daresay that more people are "saved" by situational awareness (and possibly a gun as well) than are saved by a gun alone.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #30
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1748 Times on 971 Posts
Likes Given: 5303

My last encounter required more ammo than I had on hand.

This is why I try to carry an extra mag or two or even four.

But for this encounter, I should have ALSO been carrying a shotgun with plenty of Ammo.

So.. let me relate the story of my last encounter. I was walking the back side of the property with my son and our two dog's.
The dirt road borders the thick brush, old stumps and evergreen trees. I kept walking with my son and one of the dog's, trying to get the attention of my second dog, who ran into the thicket and started to bark. As his barking increased, he completely ignored my calls.

I decided to find out what he was barking at, just what was grabbing his complete attention.

My son and I went in to find the dog running around a stump/fallen log. I looked under from my side and saw nothing. Handing my son the flashlight, he shone it in on his side, then jumped back. We found a den of racoons, the very racoons that have benn killing my birds each evening.

I think that there were six of them.

I spotted the closest one with the Laser and fired. the other's began to dash. Between watching the dog's for safety, manuvering my son to flush the coons, I went through a magazine. It appeared that one escaped, a couple required two shot's to stop them. Two of them headed for a tree.
I was not going to fire the .45 into the air. I needed the shotgun.

I had to run back for the shotgun.

My son and the dog's kept the coon's treed. My first shot dropped the highest coon to our feet. It ran with another shotgun shell up his little ring tail. The second tried to escape as well and probably made it without getting nailed.

If I had additional magazines, I might have dropped them all. I suppose if they had all stood still and let me pop them one at a time, 7 shots would have been enough

The point of this story is that Personal Defense, Home Defense and Movie Re-creations are not the only reason I carry. And this is why I always try to have spare mag(s) close. They go fast. Heck, I peppered a mole hole with 4 shots in just a blink of a mole's eye, what would I have done if another one had appeared on the scene.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL