Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 162 Posts

If you carry with one in the chamber you should have at least 1 for sure shot. If you have a mag malfunction immediately after that and the first didn't do the job your survival chances aren't good. In true self defense situation

Old 12-07-2012, 03:38 AM   #112

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol
If you carry with one in the chamber you should have at least 1 for sure shot. If you have a mag malfunction immediately after that and the first didn't do the job your survival chances aren't good. In true self defense situation
That is my thought. My first shot is dropping one and the rest r going to run to cover or just run away which should leave me enough time to get cover myself or out of the area.

"GET TO THE CHOPPA" (Arnold voice)

Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #113

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
An incident that I am still thinking about.
A near by grocery store had a flash-rob during the night shift.

Several employees got beat up by about 20 people that flash robbed the place.

My son's think that they would have run if a gun was produced, or if a shot was fired.
I'm not too sure what the outcome would be if one of them was armed.

I know that 20 would test my limits if they chose not to run.
I dont even have that many bullets on me when carrying. I only carry one mag. Not by choice, I just don't have a second one yet. Honestly I will probably never carry the second unless I travel somewhere. But not for going on errands or date nights with my girlfriend.

We are in the same state but that kind of stuff happens on the West side. East side of the state is pretty tame. I didnt used to carry full time, untill this summer when there was a drive by shooting just down the road from my house. And I live in a higher end area. That is an isolated incident and for the most part its pretty mellow here.

Getting back to the two mag thing, I would carry one for malfunctions but I have shot my gun enough to have 100% confidence with it for the next 8 rounds that it will be firing. If for whatever reason I have a FTF, ill throw it at him and try two handed. I really only see myself taking a second mag when I go to areas I am unfamiliar with.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #114
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1867 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I carry a Ruger P95. It has a 15 shot magazine. I carry an extra magazine of plinking ammo. That way I don't end up shooting all my expensive ammo at cans or what ever we are trying to hit. In a pinch, I would rather have target ammo to shoot at the bad guy that throw rocks at him.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #115

Liked 393 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Never gave this subject much thought, bought into the 1-3 shot scenerio. Figured my Bodyguard .38 was enough. Then I started reading forums like this and watching related vids on You Tube. That's when the prospect of multiple attackers reared it's ugly head. All of a sudden, an automatic and spare mag didn't seem like too much to carry.

Last edited by Donn; 12-08-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Old 12-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #116

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I carry a Ruger P95. It has a 15 shot magazine. I carry an extra magazine of plinking ammo. That way I don't end up shooting all my expensive ammo at cans or what ever we are trying to hit. In a pinch, I would rather have target ammo to shoot at the bad guy that throw rocks at him.
You mean you mite decide to plink while your're out & about --correct?

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #117
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8501 Times on 4919 Posts
Likes Given: 11053

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
An incident that I am still thinking about.
A near by grocery store had a flash-rob during the night shift.

Several employees got beat up by about 20 people that flash robbed the place.

My son's think that they would have run if a gun was produced, or if a shot was fired.
I'm not too sure what the outcome would be if one of them was armed.

I know that 20 would test my limits if they chose not to run.
Shoot the closes sumbitch that is coming at you and it will stop most any crowd of 20 people (the combo of the shot and the guy dropping dead), make it clear that the next person that moves in any other direction but retreat is gonna get a dead as that first sumbitch. That would be my strategy with no reloads. YMMV. (Hell, MY mileage may vary! This is all theoretical!)
Old 12-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #118

Liked 2549 Times on 1454 Posts
Likes Given: 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Bingo!

I cary reloads for ^^THIS^^ reason AND because most defensive shootings I've looked at resulted in the shooters gun running dry.

Fleeing the scene does not look good and standing around waiting for LEO's with an empty gun is not very appealing either.

Thugs usually have buddies.

Tack
There are alternatives. I don't stop when my gun runs out. If a couple of

B/Gs survive to tell a lurid story of an enraged LAC pistol-whipping, biting off noses,

stabbing people in the armpits, shattering bones, and kicking BG's

jewels into outer space,

before he was finally overcome by sheer weight of numbers, well,

YEAH, I can accept going out like that...

Last edited by therewolf; 12-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #119

Liked 216 Times on 162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY

You mean you mite decide to plink while your're out & about --correct?
That's me with my truck gun. It is loaded with my hollow points 1 chambered safety on and holstered within reach with no bending or leaning. 2 extra mags with FMJ and 2 boxes in the glove box in case I get a chance to to some plinking before I go home from work.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #120

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by kycol View Post
That's me with my truck gun. It is loaded with my hollow points 1 chambered safety on and holstered within reach with no bending or leaning. 2 extra mags with FMJ and 2 boxes in the glove box in case I get a chance to to some plinking before I go home from work.
I'm thinkin thats wat he ment-
Same here, i carry a box of FMJ in my truck for that reason, here in East Texas you just never know when you mite be attacked by beer cans or dead stumps on a back road

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

KG7IL Likes This