Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it?

I'm new to concealed carrying and wanted to know if having the extra mags is worth carrying?

I have grown up around guns and a great shot. I understand in a draw and shoot situation that ammo goes faster than expected but is an extra mag really going to help at that moment? I'm going to carry a glock 19 gen 4 which is 15+1. My thought on it is if I need more than that then this situation is how many am I taking with me. I understand the principle of "well u might need it," but in that case I should just carry my AR around.

Is it necessary or just preference?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-17-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7666 Times on 4424 Posts
Likes Given: 9884

somewhere along the line I have read that the average number of shots fired in a shootout not involving law enforcement is 3 shots. Not sure if that is a grand total of shots fired bay all shooters or what. 16 should be plenty IMO, just practice practice practice your marksmanship. Then again I live in CA and can't get a CCW because of the politics.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:47 AM   #3

Liked 2141 Times on 969 Posts
Likes Given: 2083

Every now and then Vikingdad and I agree on something.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've read an after action report were three men where ambushed by 10 to 17 guys. Two of the three men where killed at the start. The suviver returned fire. 17rnds later the bad guys where left. He cut them down with his knife when they charged him.

I can dig up the refracens. Trying not sound like a jerk, but why limit your self? I carry two reloads, knife or two and a flashlight. Sometimes a seconed gun. If I could carry my AK instead i would! But I can't, I carry what I can and practice. I'm a good shoot too, but how good are you when the bad guys shoot back, or first.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2615 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

The magazine is THE weakest part of any semi-auto pistol.
If the magazine screws up, then your pistol is a rock.

I carry extra mags for that reason.

If I need more than the 8 rounds offered by my 1911, then I am either dumb enough to be in the wrong place, or I should have brought a rifle.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT

People Like This 
Old 11-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 738 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Local conceal carry guy unloaded 9 rounds of his 45 stopping an active shooter in a restaurant. Definitely is making me think about how I'm not even carrying a full magazine in my EDC.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #7

Liked 1640 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

I normally only carry what is in the gun. Which is often 5 or 6 rounds. But if I am going somewhere that there is a crowd and I could be trapped I carry my 1911 with an extra mag. I hope to never be in church when someone opens fire. But if I am, I dont want to have to fire 35 yards with a pocket pistol. The theatre shooting in Aurora has me thinking a little differenty than I used to. I have not been to the movies since. I am not afraid to go. It just doesnt seem like any fun right now. Havent even bothered to see Skyfall yet. I am also sick of spending $45 to go to the movies!

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

canebrake Likes This 
Old 11-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #8

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
I normally only carry what is in the gun. Which is often 5 or 6 rounds. But if I am going somewhere that there is a crowd and I could be trapped I carry my 1911 with an extra mag. I hope to never be in church when someone opens fire. But if I am, I dont want to have to fire 35 yards with a pocket pistol. The theatre shooting in Aurora has me thinking a little differenty than I used to. I have not been to the movies since. I am not afraid to go. It just doesnt seem like any fun right now. Havent even bothered to see Skyfall yet.
Quote:
I am also sick of spending $45 to go to the movies!
I honestly think some shud stop watching movies anyways

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

canebrake Likes This 
Old 11-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #9

Liked 271 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 193

I never carry an extra magazine. I am confident enough in my shooting abilities that I won't need it.

Old 11-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #10

Liked 1640 Times on 926 Posts
Likes Given: 1093

I am not concerned about my shooting abilities. I can hold my own with the best of them. I think of being trapped in a situation with an active shooter. The nutcase in Aurora had body armor on.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.