Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/)
-   -   Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f17/carrying-concealed-extra-mags-worth-76549/)

TexasBear 11-17-2012 05:09 AM

Is carrying concealed extra mags worth it?

I'm new to concealed carrying and wanted to know if having the extra mags is worth carrying?

I have grown up around guns and a great shot. I understand in a draw and shoot situation that ammo goes faster than expected but is an extra mag really going to help at that moment? I'm going to carry a glock 19 gen 4 which is 15+1. My thought on it is if I need more than that then this situation is how many am I taking with me. I understand the principle of "well u might need it," but in that case I should just carry my AR around.

Is it necessary or just preference?

Vikingdad 11-17-2012 05:40 AM

somewhere along the line I have read that the average number of shots fired in a shootout not involving law enforcement is 3 shots. Not sure if that is a grand total of shots fired bay all shooters or what. 16 should be plenty IMO, just practice practice practice your marksmanship. Then again I live in CA and can't get a CCW because of the politics.

rjd3282 11-17-2012 06:47 AM

Every now and then Vikingdad and I agree on something. :)

spack762 11-17-2012 08:40 AM

I've read an after action report were three men where ambushed by 10 to 17 guys. Two of the three men where killed at the start. The suviver returned fire. 17rnds later the bad guys where left. He cut them down with his knife when they charged him.

I can dig up the refracens. Trying not sound like a jerk, but why limit your self? I carry two reloads, knife or two and a flashlight. Sometimes a seconed gun. If I could carry my AK instead i would! But I can't, I carry what I can and practice. I'm a good shoot too, but how good are you when the bad guys shoot back, or first.

danf_fl 11-17-2012 09:37 AM

The magazine is THE weakest part of any semi-auto pistol.
If the magazine screws up, then your pistol is a rock.

I carry extra mags for that reason.

If I need more than the 8 rounds offered by my 1911, then I am either dumb enough to be in the wrong place, or I should have brought a rifle.

partdeux 11-17-2012 10:23 AM

Local conceal carry guy unloaded 9 rounds of his 45 stopping an active shooter in a restaurant. Definitely is making me think about how I'm not even carrying a full magazine in my EDC.

Rick1967 11-17-2012 11:55 AM

I normally only carry what is in the gun. Which is often 5 or 6 rounds. But if I am going somewhere that there is a crowd and I could be trapped I carry my 1911 with an extra mag. I hope to never be in church when someone opens fire. But if I am, I dont want to have to fire 35 yards with a pocket pistol. The theatre shooting in Aurora has me thinking a little differenty than I used to. I have not been to the movies since. I am not afraid to go. It just doesnt seem like any fun right now. Havent even bothered to see Skyfall yet. I am also sick of spending $45 to go to the movies!

HOSSFLY 11-17-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick1967 (Post 1017513)
I normally only carry what is in the gun. Which is often 5 or 6 rounds. But if I am going somewhere that there is a crowd and I could be trapped I carry my 1911 with an extra mag. I hope to never be in church when someone opens fire. But if I am, I dont want to have to fire 35 yards with a pocket pistol. The theatre shooting in Aurora has me thinking a little differenty than I used to. I have not been to the movies since. I am not afraid to go. It just doesnt seem like any fun right now. Havent even bothered to see Skyfall yet.
Quote:

I am also sick of spending $45 to go to the movies!

I honestly think some shud stop watching movies anyways :o

rhyno13 11-17-2012 12:33 PM

I never carry an extra magazine. I am confident enough in my shooting abilities that I won't need it.

Rick1967 11-17-2012 12:36 PM

I am not concerned about my shooting abilities. I can hold my own with the best of them. I think of being trapped in a situation with an active shooter. The nutcase in Aurora had body armor on.