Carry at work.... - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry at work....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I always have a gun on me (90%of the time) or in my truck. Here in Indiana as well ad KY an employer cannot take disiplinary action against you for a weapon in the POV (personally owned vehicle) of an employee who holds a ccw or handgun permit. I've worked for two crushed stone quarries, both which had a 'no firearms on company property' policy. However the policy was never enforced, in fact the company used to let us hunt in the wooded areas around the pit during the hunting seasons. I think the policy was on the books for government compliance as the federal agency MSHA oversees all mining operations in the US.

At my last quarry job a supervisor who was about to take over as superintendent at our location claimed he would enforce it and fire anyone whose vehicle contained a firearm. That didn't go over well as about 60% of my coworkers carried.

Some states consider your vehicle private and require a warrant for a search.

My company doesn't allow them in the trucks but they don't mind if weapons are in POVs.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Last edited by dragunovsks; 09-05-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:41 AM   #22

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49

BTW, congrats on the new job.
Thank you sir :-)

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #23

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13 View Post
Unless it is federal government property, your car is considered an extension of your home.
That depends entirely on where you live. Here in Iowa employers are still allowed to tell you what you may or may not have in your vehicle. That is if you want to keep your job. Just like anyplace that has a no guns sign "criminals come here" if you use it you could be charged.

I however am of the mind that if I can not avoid one of these places, it is better to be in jail then it is to be dead. I don't carry on my person when at work, but it is in my purse.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 AM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Not a Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmac View Post
My employer forbids it, however, on rare occasions it's overlooked. Does anyone else personally consider it more like uninforcible sinage laws? I realize given our current economy, it's a chance not many are willing to take...but who else carries besides LEOs?
I never considered it to be a problem, no matter where I have worked or what their rules said. My only concern was for my personal safety and protection and I always carried some kind of gun at work always! I never told anyone that I had a gun and no one ever asked me.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2344

I never considered it to be a problem, no matter where I have worked or what their rules said. My only concern was for my personal safety and protection and I always carried some kind of gun at work always! I never told anyone that I had a gun and no one ever asked me.
For the most part it's not entirely necessary/possible for me to carry on a daily basis, but when we go on storms, that's when the probability of really needing protection increases.

We've been to New Orleans, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, etc. and had a genuine fear for our lives. At home the only thing to worry about are foremen that forget to take their medicine.

It just seems a case could be made state laws should trump employer rules, perhaps in a closed-shop state, or a good union contact, or maybe I simply need more sleep. I know, I know, I need to check wherever I go, but there seems to be additional variables, and there's got to be a better way.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #26

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I carry at work. It is private property and as far as I have researched in IL, I am in the clear. My boss and I have never really talked about, we don't have any "employee rule book", it's pretty much just he and I. I work in a town that borders on a bad area, there have been robberies near by and there are lots of times that I close up shop late at night with a lot of cash. I will not leave myself at the mercy of lowlifes and thugs. Most days I pocket carry a .38 S&W 642, but I also have a .45 that keep under a shelf behind the front counter. If I ever had to use it I know my boss would be on my side, even if he was not, I'd rather try and find a new job than be dead.

Old 09-05-2012, 03:46 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Not necessarily. Having the firearm on the property could be a felony.
That depends on where you live. Unless it is one of a few exempted industries it is a criminal act for a Florida employer to ask if you have a gun in the car when parked on company property.

Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I work at an after hours emergency vet clinic. My Thursday all night shift I carry on me but on my weekend day shifts I tend to leave it in my truck.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #29

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

I always carry, unless it's unlawful for me to do so. Here in Utah that means federal and local government buildings. I always carry at work. Just make sure that there's no way your gun is going to show. I lost a job last year because I made that mistake.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #30

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Damn Poly, that's a crappy reason to lose a job. I bet whoever fired you thought you were a great employee. As soon as you were found to have a gun they prob considered you a dirt bag criminal. What a world we live in. Monday morning: great employee, Monday afternoon after gun is spotted: dirt bag criminal, we must fire him.