Carry at work....

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry at work....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Carry at work....

My employer forbids it, however, on rare occasions it's overlooked. Does anyone else personally consider it more like uninforcible sinage laws? I realize given our current economy, it's a chance not many are willing to take...but who else carries besides LEOs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I carry everyday, with a license to do so in my state. I do not always carry ON my person, but it's never far from reach in this day of gymbags, backpacks and satchels. ("It's a purse!" Leslie Chow for the win!)

My old company had a strict policy against it, but yet most of the line workers, my boss, his boss and probably another 25% I wouldn't have guessed, carried.

My current company has zero rules about it, which is terribly odd to me. I actually asked for this years copy of the rule book just to make sure. Nope, no mention of it as forbidden or even talked about. *shrug*

For me it comes down to this.

1) Do I have the skills to get another job if fired because I carried a weapon, needed it, and did the right thing in my mind? My answer is yes, I believe I could.

2) Could I live with myself if something happened and I had to sit by and watch, knowing I could have made a difference if I had my sidearm? My answer, is no.

That pretty much ends the personal debate for me. Your personal debate might be much deeper and require more thought.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:17 PM   #3

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Read the policies on my new job lastnight, it states that firearms are prohibited on the premises.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 PM   #4

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray
Read the policies on my new job lastnight, it states that firearms are prohibited on the premises.
You can always leave it secured in your car.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 09-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyno13

You can always leave it secured in your car.
Not necessarily. Having the firearm on the property could be a felony.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #6

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

Idk, but new job with GREAT pay, im not gonna chance it. I only live 15 minutes away,i can manage without it for that long.

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Idk, but new job with GREAT pay, im not gonna chance it. I only live 15 minutes away,i can manage without it for that long.
I would agree with you. Wait it out. Get a feel for the place. I have been places where the company, legal standard, is far from the operating one.

Definitely don't risk it early on in a brand new position.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #8

Liked 272 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13

Unless it is federal government property, your car is considered an extension of your home.

”The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.”
~James Earl Jones

Old 09-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #9
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

There's usually other options. I'm sure it didn't say anything about wasp spray or those big ol' mag lights etc.

Congrats on the job btw

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #10

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The bedrock of our society is rule of law.

Just as in your house - your rules, and I respect that.

An employer of a private business has the right to set the rules, and you have the freedom to respect his rules or leave.

If there is an expressed policy of no firearms on the work premises, then I would not carry at work. The parking lot is another situation entirely. Many states have recently enacted laws that prevent an employer from prohibiting firearms from their parking lots, and that may apply to your location.

My CCW is important to me. I don't go anywhere without my firearm, and I'd hate to jeopardize my future ability to carry by doing something careless that I might regret. I even disarm just to drop a piece of mail in the Post Office. It's silly, but I didn't make the rules. I know, people say "concealed means concealed," but I'm not taking the chance.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Rick1967 Likes This