Carry without Holster - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry without Holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
Surely you won't carry a round in the chamber in a Glock without something covering the trigger!?
No, I certainly would not carry a round in the chamber...an don't call me Surely

I don't like carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber normally any way, even in a holster.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #22

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Overly Safe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastleKing View Post
No, I certainly would not carry a round in the chamber...an don't call me Surely

I don't like carrying a Glock with a round in the chamber normally any way, even in a holster.
From these last 2 post-Glocks are unsafe to carry with a round in the chamber?? A lot of LEO's have carried them HOT for a long time (years) without many mistakes. I don't own a Glock, so tell me. Is a Glock more unsafe than other semi-autos, when carried with a round chambered?

NRA Life MEMBER 1976

Old 04-22-2009, 05:58 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLYBOB44 View Post
From these last 2 post-Glocks are unsafe to carry with a round in the chamber?? A lot of LEO's have carried them HOT for a long time (years) without many mistakes. I don't own a Glock, so tell me. Is a Glock more unsafe than other semi-autos, when carried with a round chambered?
The standard Glock safe-action trigger is a relatively light 5.5 lbs. Because of the lack of manual safety, carrying a Glock pistol chamber loaded without a holster to cover the trigger can result in something capturing the trigger, potentially overcoming the trigger safety and the gun going KaBlooey!

An officer a local department here had a chamber loaded Glock pistol in a back pack a few years ago. I'm not sure how he secured it in the backpack, but it became dislodged and an ink pen slipped into the trigger guard. The right amount of shake, rattle, and roll ended up in an negligent discharge. Thankfully no one was injured.

This is actually something to consider with any firearm, manual safety or not, when transported with a loaded chamber. The backup scenario could have occurred with any piece transported haphazardly.

Reholstering into a concealment rig with clothing bunched up can result in clothing being trapped between the trigger and the holster, inadvertently pressing the trigger. This can occur slightly easier with striker-fired pistols because of the lighter first trigger pull and the lack of a hammer to telegraph the problem (if you rest your thumb on the hammer while reholstering).

My personal opinion is that as long as you understand the workings of the firearm and treat it with respect, the Glock and other striker-fired pistols are not less safe, just different.

I'm writing this before going to be so hopefully its fairly coherent.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 04-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm fine with a Glock with one in the chamber, as long as the trigger is covered with a holster. I personally can't imagine carrying one stuck in my pants with one in the chamber.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 AM   #25

I personally would not carry without a holster for 1 reason mainly and that is "control". If you are acustomed to your holster you will always know where your weapon is and your reflexes will be more of an automatic action if you need it quick. Know where it is and how to get hold of it. If it is in your belt or waist line you may know where it is generally but not what way it is facing and you may end up fumbling for a second or two when 1/2 a second counts.
A holster presents the weapon the same every time.

As far as having a round chambered, it would have to be something like a Sig with a de-cocking ability and double action.(SA/DA)

The truth was always the truth, even before anyone figured it out. It always was and always will be.

Last edited by MrKimber; 04-23-2009 at 06:56 AM.