Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry without Holster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Carry without Holster

Does anyone here ever carry their gun without a holster, under what circumstances?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #2

All the time. Ever hear of a grip clip?

Old 07-06-2007, 05:46 PM   #3

Liked 13 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I assume you're referring to "Mexican Carry" with a pistol shoved inside your waist line. I know people that do it, but I would never recommend it. Too many things can go wrong with that.

Donnie

Active LE Sniper, AR15/M16 Armorer, Firearms Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, Taser Instructor, Sniper Team Leader, and owner of www.bigrivertactical.com :D 狙击手

Old 07-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

In the movies, looks great when they have plastic, unloaded weapons...As soon as you move, you can feel it moving and any attempts to check it gives your cover away...I recall seeing these guys slipping guns in their crotch, appendix, back; holy BATMAN! I guess I'm not man enough....
No way, Jose!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:42 PM   #5

A grip clip is a piece of spring steel that is in the general shape of the grip panel of a 1911 with a 1.5 inch "tongue" that is slightly arched and runs parallel to the frame right under the slide. In practice, you slip the muzzle inside the pants and the spring tongue on outside of the pants. The springiness of the device keeps the gun in place almost as good as a paddle holster without the bulk. Not a whole lot to go wrong with it. Back in the '70s & '80s, it was very popular with serious pistoleros who traveled into dangerous neighborhoods but wanted to keep a low profile.

These days, a newer design called Clipdraw is offered. I like my old grip clip a little better.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:26 PM   #6

Default nope

i agree with FPDSNIPER, not a smart move

Old 07-10-2007, 10:47 PM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I'll disagree. I've carried holsterless many times, with semi-autos, from PPK to 1911. When working under cover assignments, I've worn them in a cross-draw manner in my belt, with the frame tilted forward at an extreme angle. I've chased suspects, jumped over fences, and overcome those resisting arrest, without ever worrying about losing my pistol. It stayed where I put it, but some adjustment may be required to get the correct position.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 04-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Carry without a holster

I have to agree with you on carrying without a holster. I carry both ways and have only had a weapon get away from me on a couple occations. Generaly, with a medium or large auto pistol, with the belt tight, they carry well. Of course, a little common sence applies. DogWalk

Old 04-18-2009, 04:28 PM   #9

For what it's worth, I took care of an older and experienced gun owner who was carrying his .45 without a holster. He shot himself twice and subsequently died from complications of his wounds. I'm sure it can be done, but I wouldn't do it. I liken it to driving without a seatbelt. Sure, in many instances it's not a big deal, and a lot of people never wear one, but **** does happen, and when it does, it's usually not good. My 2c.

Old 04-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM4A1 View Post
Does anyone here ever carry their gun without a holster, under what circumstances?
I carry a pistol in my pocket w/no holster. I've been doing this for years. I have a pocket holster, and it's OK. I just prefer not to use it.