Carry triggers?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection > Carry triggers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default Carry triggers?

Has anyone else noticed that the "mouse" or "pocket" labeled type of carry pieces seem to have those extremely long trigger pulls?

Not all, of course, just most that I've noticed. It appears they utilize this feature in place of a manual safety locking mechanism. The only exception I can think of would be the Sig P238, but I doubt many actually carry something so expensive.

What's your guys' opinions on this? Do you like the long pull, or would you prefer something more like a cocked and locked?

I find myself not even wanting to take them shooting with me, and when I do they're rarely used. I much defer to the single action side of things. Or DAO triggers like that of a Glock or Ruger SR9C or S&W Sigma. Those aren't so bad.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-11-2012, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Then stay with what you want. I grew up shooting da/ sa revolvers and find a da type pistol trigger is a natural and carried a taurus 85ss revolver for 20 years. Used as a DA only. But even after going to the range and shooting my 22's a glock and maybe my hunting revolvers I will pull my first shoot in my Kahr9mm CC pistol then it all fine and feels right again with tight groups for a 3" barrel. Its just a head game and some are not comfortible with a longer pull. I love my hunting revolvers and .22 pistols for good short and light trigger pulls but for a cc gun they may not be the best like with a 1911 for many. And striker fired trigger with a short reset I like them just don't think much of most of the pistol for a small, light, concealable, thin, pistol for me. Just a personal thing.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:14 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I actually like a long stiff trigger pull on a "pocket gun" if carried in your pocket with one in the pipe with your keys,chapstick,dip,whatever I don't want a light trigger pull . In a holster of whatever type fine but there's to much oppurtunty for and AD without a holster or ext safety imo. Plus the legalities for gun manufactures you can imagine. I know they're harder to learn to shoot well but I stay within 10yds of my target and make reasonbly accurate hits, no clover leafs closer to an elm leaf lol. But outside of 10 yds you MAY have a tough time claiming SD anyway. Good luck to ya

Old 02-11-2012, 11:30 PM   #4

I have a couple carry guns, not because I carry, but because I might, and possibility is enough. However I hate shooting the things. They cause consistent inaccuracy and are impossible to rapid fire through a full clip, which is the most fun thing to do when shooting. I was just curious if I was alone there.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Liked 281 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 31

williamTF Not a good idea to pocket a pistol with out a holster or to mix other stuff in with it. I try to just not change over the year and would never rotate CC pistol with different trigger designs. To easy to screw up.
I don't think its harder to learn to shoot well just takes practice like any handgun does.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #6

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

I would only carry a "mouse gun" for protection from mice, and our mice can usually be handled with a good boot.

I agree with the previous post. Carry one gun, all the time, practice with it on a regular basis, carry it in a good holster, in the same place, and all of your moves become muscle memory and under duress you aren't having to think about; Where it is, how it is configured, is the safety on or off, is there a round in the tube, am I out-gunned.

If you do these things, and you have made a decision that you must shoot, you should be able to safely draw, without sweeping yourself or anyone else, bring your firearm to your target, put your finger on the trigger and discharge a round in one fluid movement and without thinking about the process.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 02-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #7

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+1 Chainfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
I have a couple carry guns, not because I carry, but because I might, and possibility is enough. However I hate shooting the things. They cause consistent inaccuracy and are impossible to rapid fire through a full clip, which is the most fun thing to do when shooting. I was just curious if I was alone there.
"consistent inaccuracy"?

Tell that to the millions of DA revolver shooters out there.

You shoot what you're comfortable/good with.

Don't knock the other guy's choice unless you want to "old school" challenge him to a duel!

You may never know the outcome.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
I would only carry a "mouse gun" for protection from mice, and our mice can usually be handled with a good boot.

I agree with the previous post. Carry one gun, all the time, practice with it on a regular basis, carry it in a good holster, in the same place, and all of your moves become muscle memory and under duress you aren't having to think about; Where it is, how it is configured, is the safety on or off, is there a round in the tube, am I out-gunned.

If you do these things, and you have made a decision that you must shoot, you should be able to safely draw, without sweeping yourself or anyone else, bring your firearm to your target, put your finger on the trigger and discharge a round in one fluid movement and without thinking about the process.
Truth for sure. Guess I'm just not a carry gun kind of guy so I wont. Too bad, but the right call nonetheless.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I want any self defense gun to have a long hard trigger pull, at least on that first shot. The average every day guy isn't a highly disciplined soldier with intensive training. If you ever have to draw that gun, its going to be a high stress situation. You're going to be nervous and tense as hell. The last thing you want is your gun going off because your hand was shaking on a single action gun with a 2 lb trigger pull. "But I didn't mean to shoot him" isn't a very good defense. Mouse gun or not, I don't want that thing going off unless I make a conscious effort to pull that trigger, all the way. Trust me, in a life or death situation, you'll have enough strength to pull that trigger, I don't care how hard it is.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

please mark your Calendars it seems Paladin and I agree 100% not the norm but is all good.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649